Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Noise in DIFF solved without TSB...

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2006, 02:37 PM
LimeStang05
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Noise in DIFF solved without TSB...

Id like to know what noises you had with the car? I have a "squeeking" sound in the rear only in tight turns at slow speeds. It sounds like my tires are rubbing on something, but they arent....any ideas?
Old 09-07-2006, 03:03 PM
Stooge
2nd Gear Member

For the GT rear with an automatic, I would suggest, as Ford does, a 75W140 weight oil and alittle less than 2 quarts. The capacity listed is alittle shy of two quarts, and any more will overflow back out of the fill plug as you are pumping it in. Too much in there will overheat the rear and blow the extra out of the vent (and possibly damage your seals). I'd also suggest one or two bottles of friction modifier, even if the fluid says it's already there. All rear ends seem to react differently when it comes to addiing friction modifiers. If you already have noise, a bottle or two will certainly help.

I also agree that your first step to eliminating the noise would be a fluid change. GM, with their noisy truck limited slip rear ends in the 80's and 90's, had several TSBs issued to do just that - actually change the fluid twice, before opening the rear end. For me, the jury's out whether my local Ford mechanics are trust-worthly enough - at least for me - to perform what amounts to some major work on the rear end. I'd rather do the simple stuff first and then go for the surgery!!

A good mechanic at my local independant shop said the noise is more of a nuisance than a real mechanical failure, although it could lead to a shorter clutch-pac life if it were real bad. And that reduced life, we couldn't come-up with a real number or whether it meant a hill of beans anyways.

Old 09-07-2006, 05:57 PM
cortc
2nd Gear Member

Agreed, check in the back of the manual for the manual transmission cars, I used the rating that was in there... It was either 75W90 or 75W140...

ORIGINAL: Stooge

For the GT rear with an automatic, I would suggest, as Ford does, a 75W140 weight oil and alittle less than 2 quarts. The capacity listed is alittle shy of two quarts, and any more will overflow back out of the fill plug as you are pumping it in. Too much in there will overheat the rear and blow the extra out of the vent (and possibly damage your seals). I'd also suggest one or two bottles of friction modifier, even if the fluid says it's already there. All rear ends seem to react differently when it comes to addiing friction modifiers. If you already have noise, a bottle or two will certainly help.

I also agree that your first step to eliminating the noise would be a fluid change. GM, with their noisy truck limited slip rear ends in the 80's and 90's, had several TSBs issued to do just that - actually change the fluid twice, before opening the rear end. For me, the jury's out whether my local Ford mechanics are trust-worthly enough - at least for me - to perform what amounts to some major work on the rear end. I'd rather do the simple stuff first and then go for the surgery!!

A good mechanic at my local independant shop said the noise is more of a nuisance than a real mechanical failure, although it could lead to a shorter clutch-pac life if it were real bad. And that reduced life, we couldn't come-up with a real number or whether it meant a hill of beans anyways.

Old 09-07-2006, 05:58 PM
cortc
2nd Gear Member

Small update on the diff fluid rating...

ORIGINAL: cortc

For the diff: Royal Purple Max-Gear 75W-90/75W140 one of the two I forget, just check in the owners manual... (You need three 1 quart bottles, will use about 2.5...)
For the manual transmission: You have two choices, Synchromax or Max ATF, they are both good, Synchromax is a little more expensive... (You will need four 1 quart bottles, will use a little over 3 of them...)

I put Max ATF in at 2500 in the transmission and will replace at 10K with Synchromax and leave that in till about 25k and then replace with Synchromax again along with the diff fluid...

Change oil and filter every 2500 miles with Mobil 1 Oil and filter...

ORIGINAL: jdback19

I think i better change my tranny and rear diff fluids!!! Just hit 9000 AHHHHHHH!!! I am prolly gonna hate what i find. So can anyone tell me how many bottles of rearend fluid i need and how many tranny bottles i need?? Also the names of the two by royle purple?