Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

When you are stopped at a red light and a Honda is sitting next to you with a fart can do you

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2006, 11:07 AM
Menace
5th Gear Member

Default RE: When you are stopped at a red light and a Honda is sitting next to you with a fart can do you

Well, I don't have many stories against racing people with foreign cars. I try to just drive normally and mind my own business as I can't afford the ticket and whatever other penalties come with it.

So with that being said I was coming home from the movies or something and I was going the speed limit. There were two biker dudes behind me. (Not street bikes, but ya... Leather, all that kinda stuff.) They weren't your obnoxiously big bikes, but they were loud and muscle sounding. Anyway once the passing lane lines started they pulled next to me and started revving. We were going about 45 mph. I just kinda looked over at him, and smiled... At this point I still wasn't going to do anything, then I decided "Wtf..." I dropped it into 2nd, revved it and we both took off. It wasn't much of a contest. I think I shifted into 4th before I finally let off. (So generally around 100mph.) and they were well in the rear view. I slowed back down to 45 and I saw them give a thumbs up, so I returned it. Then they stayed seated behind me until I made my turn off the road, when they gave a rev and a wave once more. Not a bad encounter, but I was surprised I guess. (Not sure how good those bikes are on performance, but it weighs 1/4 of what I weigh, and probably has 1/3 of my power.)

Another one was when I was coming home from work. An older couple (Atleast 50-60s) was sitting next to me in a Ford Lightning. We were at a stop light and again I was like. "Yep, just going to mind my business." and then he took off when it went green. So I mashed the pedal as well. I had to play a little catch up because he had the split second headstart, but it was only a matter of like half a car length. I think I shifted to third and by that time I had a length or two but was pulling away. Slowed back down to the speed limit, and the guy's wife rolls down her window and asks stuff like "What's that thing got in it" and all that.

I can account for another time when I was pulling out of the movie theatre and a Grand National or Monte Carlo, the 80s styled ones was pulling up behind me. He sounded like he had some work done to it, cams, etc. Not only that but he still had his numbers from the track on his window. So I was just minding my business and I turned and he turned behind me, got in the 2nd lane and gunned it. I did too, (but was in 2nd gear going 15 mph or so) So at first it seemed like I was pulling away, and then he started coming quick... So I just let off. Once we got to the light (Only 1 lane) He revved it and took off once it went green. The car took off like no other, losing traction and fish tailing to get back control. I never really got to line up next to him and find out if I could take him, because he just kept accelerating off into the darkness and I wasn't about to play catch up. The only downside to this was, it wasn't anything friendly like before. The guy was just trying to prove something, (I had a louder exhaust then him I guess, so maybe he thought I had more then what I actually had.) but in all reality I think it might have been a good match-up. Just from watching him take off/accelerating... I think he would get me on the launch, but I might have pulled on him enough for the win. Ah well.
Old 09-18-2006, 12:21 PM
red06gt
1st Gear Member

Default RE: When you are stopped at a red light and a Honda is sitting next to you with a fart can do you

I just look at it this way-Why bother? It wastes my gas, my time, puts others at risk, and most of all makes insurance go up when you get a ticket [:@]!!! If there is nobody around and an LS1 pulls up, maybe you could have a little 0-60 or 70 fun, but nothing more in my opinion.
Old 09-18-2006, 01:21 PM
BlackSpirit
2nd Gear Member

I have two Mustangs 66 & 06 which are both quick, but I also have a little Honda CRX that could possibly smoke the both of my stangs. I can't wait to take them to the track and find out. There are a lot of ricers out there, but there are also a lot of imports that would brake something nasty off in your ***, my CRX just so happens to be one of those.
Old 09-18-2006, 01:27 PM
cam2904
4th Gear Member

Well this happened last year a couple months before I got my stang. My brother and a couple cousins were going to a party in Greensboro. I was riding with my cousin in my dads contour; my brother and other cousin were in his car 2001 bullit gt. We come to this stop light and this Honda civic comes up revving like crazy. The civic had a big tach that you could see through the window. Now mind you my brother does not race at all. I was behind him and once the light turned green it took off. my brother gave the guy about a car and a half headstart, he then proceeded to leave him as is he was standing still. we get to the next light and the guy in the civic just get in the turning lane does not do anything it was funny. I asked my cousin who was in the car with my brother what happended and he said at first everything was cool then just got thrown into the seat and the light poles look like a blur.
Old 09-18-2006, 06:40 PM
Daniel60
5th Gear Member

Damn that being said and you have Steve McQueen as your avator is just depressing.
ORIGINAL: BlackSpirit

I have two Mustangs 66 & 06 which are both quick, but I also have a little Honda CRX that could possibly smoke the both of my stangs. I can't wait to take them to the track and find out. There are a lot of ricers out there, but there are also a lot of imports that would brake something nasty off in your ***, my CRX just so happens to be one of those.