Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

mod my new 06 gt coupe

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2006, 10:53 PM
gidyup
2nd Gear Member

Default mod my new 06 gt coupe

I just bought an 06 GT coupe and I'm looking to make some mods without breaking the bank or voiding the warranty. I've read that a cold air kit, under-drive pulleys, and exhaust are the best bang for the buck - after she's paid off I'll look into a supercharger :-)

Question 1: Do I have to have the the dealer install the mods to keep my warranty in effect?

Question 2: Any recommendations on which brands I should look into for the stuff I want to do? Again, looking for good parts but not ready to blow a boat load of money yet.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old 09-17-2006, 11:18 PM
Warlok
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: mod my new 06 gt coupe

Hi, I have an 07 GT and am doing the cold air intake thing and better mufflers. I am new to all this too. But I have done a lot of research, and found that Brenspeed had the best deal, and bang for the buck for sure. You will find there link on this site with all the others, as brenspeed.com I think. Call them and talk to the owner "Brent". He is very friendly, and knowledgable, and will answer all your questions compleatly. I bought the C&L cold air intake and you most definitly want to get the SCT X-cal2 to set up your computer to make the car take full advantage of the fresh air.

I also bought a set of Pypes Violators polished stainless mufflers, which have 4 inch outlets and look awsome compared to stock. The sound is sweet, and not loud or bothersome to your neighbors. "Unless you gas it" then it roars. Talking to Brent, will answere all your questions, much better than in here. Cost of the C&L cold air intake and SCT X-cal 2 is $675.00. Im reading this off my invoice. The mufflers were $274.99 total, of $949.99. I have installed the mufflers, and can show you pics. The cold air intake wont be here till Tuesday. Expect 25 to 30 rear wheel horspower.

If I can help in any other way, let me know..Gary
Old 09-17-2006, 11:32 PM
Warlok
2nd Gear Member

I forgot to mention that you dont want to have your dealer install these things. I have checked with my dealer, and they have no problem with aftermarket mufflers. But I got mixed answeres about the cold air intake. Some said, it was no problem, just as long as you never open the engine any where. The SCT X-cal 2 will store your stock tune from the factory. But it offers three different tunes for you. You can continue to run 87 octane on one tune, 91 and 93 octane on the others. Im told that when you use the 93 octane tune it is awsome! No wondering if it really works or not.
You can go on the web site and look at the stuff Im talking about. In generall, it would be better to return your car to the dealer for service with the stock airbox in place. it only take a few minutes. You can return the hi performance tune to stock from inside the car in a couple minutes.

Also I have heard but cant confirm that its still possible for the dealer to hook up to this car and tell that the tune was modified and returned. I can see where certain dealers might try to weasel out of a warrenty claim, but I dont see how if a different tune was used.

Ford does it them selves on the Hertz rental Shelbys and others. I cant wait to get the C&L in there and feel the difference.

See ya Gary
Old 09-18-2006, 12:59 AM
gidyup
2nd Gear Member

Thanks Warlok!
Old 09-18-2006, 01:15 AM
hogpowr
3rd Gear Member

This took me about a year to finally get finished.......I would have gotten it done right away if I had known how great this combo is. Get the Tuneable Induction/SCT 2 combo, and the offroad h pipe. I got mine from Brenspeed, have them setup the SCT for the offroad H and you are ready to rock, Awesome sound and power. www.brenspeed.com About $575 for the combo, and another $180 for the pipes. Badass.....

Good Luck!!