Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ahhhh....the Bullitt chase scene

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2006, 08:43 PM
Black GT
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Ahhhh....the Bullitt chase scene

ORIGINAL: MBDiagMan

It sounds as if some of you have never heard of something called "a script." If the script had called for the Mustang keeping up with the charger you can bet that this is what you would have seen.

If someone wants to research it, I remember reading an article about the actual movie cars in Road & Track, circa 1968. As I remember, the charger was indeed stock, but both were modified to withstand jumping the hills at the intersections. The article also reported that in spite of studio propaganda, Steve McQueen did NOT do all of the driving. He did everything EXCEPT for the hill jumps. They were too dangerous and the studio would not risk a high dollar box office attraction like McQueen on them.

The Mustang was cammed up a little and that was about it. The base 390 engines of the day had pretty low flowing heads. As far as I'm concerned, handling wise, the FE engines made a pig out of the late sixties Mustangs due to increased nose weight in a car that was already too nose heavy, and for very little gain because a warmed over 302 with the right gears would keep up with a 390 unless decent heads were added.
Plus its said that in the scene where he overshoots the corner and backs up (smoking the tires) wasn't in the script, that he actually did overshoot it then back up and they left it in the final cut.
Old 09-21-2006, 08:52 PM
05gtdriver
5th Gear Member

There's no denying that RB big block family of engines sound really spectacular. I had an aunt who owned, get this, a 1968 Dart GTS 383 big block! I now know that's a very rare car(only produced '68-'69).....I was three the first time I rode in it(it was brand new) and even at three, I remember how "different" and "powerful" it sounded. My dad had a '66 slant six Dart[sm=lame.gif], which was a good car, but no V-8 sound! I still think the best sounding V-8(IMO) is a '65 427 side-oiler Shelby Cobra S/C(although an open side exhaust really contributes to my opinion). No denying any American V-8 sounds great with the proper exhaust setup. Some just better than others
Old 09-21-2006, 09:43 PM
Black GT
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 05gtdriver

Ummmm yes and no, there's definitely a chase scene(where the Mustang "pursues" the Charger).....but did you ever notice the sequence where the two cars are coming around at tight left hand radius-ed brick wall? The Charger bumps up against the curb (and loses one of it's seemingly endless supply of hubcaps!) and continues as the road straightens......both cars now going down the slight grade of the street, running a stop sign in the process! Well the Charger and Mustang both nail it and the Charger pulls a good 6-8 car lengths in a matter of seconds(the screen view has the camera inside of McQueen's Mustang looking from driver's perspective). If this doesn't prove that the cars weren't equal in a straight line than I don't know what else there is to say.(regardless of script)
How does that prove it? There is no way of telling if McQueen was at full throttle.

Plus, from a realistic standpoint, if it was a real chase he probably wouldn't have been. The Charger is blowing through intersections/stop signs. If he gets in a wreck McQueen is going to bite it if he's travelling the same speed and close to him. Plus there is the hazzard of the Charger clearing an intersection and McQueen hitting a crossing vehicle. In reality he would want to stay as close to the Charger as he could without compromising his and other's safety.

He does stay on their tail on the highway, where they aren't running stop signs or blowing through intersections.

Maybe the Charger was so much faster, maybe it wasn't. The only proof would have been to line them up in a real race.
Old 09-21-2006, 11:04 PM
doodad
5th Gear Member

seriously, how many HP did those old muscle cars come with? for example, that bullit..
Old 09-21-2006, 11:32 PM
atomsk680
5th Gear Member

i love it how they made the chase like 40 seconds longer by showing the exact same thing 3 times all at different angles

my car sounds like that, i got true dual with stock mufflers, soon to be replaced with some magnaflows and an x-pipe$, but i also have a carb. the only real way to get that noise, is to have a carbed engine

a 68 390 came with 325HP.