Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nitrous safe??

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2006, 11:51 PM
4.6HighPerformance
1st Gear Member

Default Nitrous safe??

hey guys, there is this type-s rsx around my area that is fast as ****, its got some nice mods, and 100 shot off the bottle.. and im looking to beat this car.. would a 100 shot be safe on my car, would i be able to shut off the bottle and drive my car like usual or will i have to be careful because of the fuel/air ratio's?? any imput whether it ok or not would be greatly appreciated... by the way, i have a 06 gt with some mods, going to get 3.73 gears, and hopefully nos or a turbo down the line....

thanks, tony
Old 09-22-2006, 12:40 AM
terrysil
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Nitrous safe??

nitrous, used and installed as instructed is safe. i have used nitrous oxide for 24 years and have never blown an engine. teh secret is no secret, do not try to put a 200hp shot on a stock mustang with stock fuel suppy, no tune, etc. although my experience is with 302 engines the rules are the same. do not overkill. you should be safe with a 100hp shot,and i personally like the Zex system for the new mustangs, they have a lot of safety systems built in.
Old 09-22-2006, 01:07 AM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

Exactly! NOS is perfectly safe so long as it is properly installed and used.

The only real "drawback" that I can think of on our cars is that with Nitrous you need to run a conservative tune. That means you can't really combine nitrous with a performance tune. On older cars you could hook up a device that would retard the timing when you sprayed, but you can't do that on this engine.

So, you need to pick one or the other: Tune is +10/15 HP all the time VS Nitrous is +100 HP when you're spraying only.
Old 09-22-2006, 01:38 AM
cfr865
3rd Gear Member

I run the 75 shot with Brenspeed 91 oct. tune, he said it is perfectly safe. He did say for the 100 shot you may burn your plugs and you will need to retard the timing. Give him a call or e-mail him he is quite knowledgeable on the nos, he did my install and dyno .
Old 09-22-2006, 01:56 AM
eric.sd

Can some one please explain how the Zex system works... do you have to push a button to spray it and how does it shut off? I'm confused.

I like the Idea of Nitrous.. the getto supercharger
Old 09-22-2006, 02:34 AM
slow07
2nd Gear Member

To my understanding, there is a switch that is activated only at full throttle. I have also been considering 100 shot myself. What is the safe limit on these engines? Is it the typical 100-125 shot?
Old 09-22-2006, 03:06 AM
cfr865
3rd Gear Member

You have a switch that is plugged into your outlet in the center arm rest, it has an on off switch, the nos will spray only at wot this is set when you install the system. You floor the accellerator during the installation process and it reads the tps at wot. Anything past the 75 shot you should change to a colder plug, and you will need a tune to retard the spark. I'm using Brenspeed 91 oct. tune for the 75 shot he said this is safe. With the 125 shot you will fry the plugs for sure some people have with the 100 but not everyone has for some reason. I know with the Zex system ithe 75 shot will give you 60 h.p. increase.
Old 09-22-2006, 05:35 AM
RW06stang
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: cfr865

I run the 75 shot with Brenspeed 91 oct. tune, he said it is perfectly safe. He did say for the 100 shot you may burn your plugs and you will need to retard the timing. Give him a call or e-mail him he is quite knowledgeable on the nos, he did my install and dyno .
+1

This is the first person I have found that agrees with me. I have been running my Zex for 6 months and 12 bottles now on the C&L 93 performance tune and stock plugs with NO problems. And let me tell you, it hits hard. Do I want to go to a 100 shot? YES, but I'll need to get colder plugs and a tune for sure. I'll post photo if you would like.
Old 09-22-2006, 05:38 AM
TheDutchTexan
4th Gear Member

Every time you use the bottle you up the HP by 50-100 in a split second. No matter how safe people say NOS is, imho it's cheap HP for a reason. You will screw up your engine pounding on it like that. Superchargers and Turbo's make their power a lot slower, and in a natural manner. Engines stay in one piece a lot longer because of that. (Unless you up the boost to insane levels on stock internals).
Old 09-22-2006, 07:19 AM
androdz
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: Justice

Every time you use the bottle you up the HP by 50-100 in a split second. No matter how safe people say NOS is, imho it's cheap HP for a reason. You will screw up your engine pounding on it like that. Superchargers and Turbo's make their power a lot slower, and in a natural manner. Engines stay in one piece a lot longer because of that. (Unless you up the boost to insane levels on stock internals).
Have you EVER used nitrous please if not then please dont give your opinion. I have been running nitrous for years, my dad currently has a z06 c6 vette with 300 shot and it still hasn't broken and we are like at our 26th bottles (note we use 2 bottles at a time). We know that with that ammount of shot we are asking for a blow but with a low shot you should be 100% safe. A 75 shot of nitrous is 10x safer than running any turbo or a supercharger at 7+ psi. Nitrous is the same kind of punishment as any supercharger or turbo. You just gotta tune it to be safe. Like with any massive power adder; if you go without a tune you are just asking for an engine blow up.

Quick Reply: Nitrous safe??