Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Axle whine "fixed" - I am PO'd!

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2006, 12:21 PM
richmod
4th Gear Member

Default Axle whine "fixed" - I am PO'd!

Just picked up my car after having TSB 05-20-2 done for rear axle whine. Before I took it in, it was a faint but noticable whine noise around 65-75 mph, only with foot on gas. After the "fix"? 1000 times worse! [:@] That is not a exaggeration. Only now it's on decel (foot off gas). All the way from 65 down to about 30 mph - louder around 45 mph. I swear at 45 mph it sounds like a cop has his sirens on behind me now. WTF! Don't they even test drive these things when they fix them?!? It's going back. [sm=icon_flaming.gif]

So - anyone else have the same experience? Was it ultimately fixed? Did they just redo the TSB?
Old 09-26-2006, 12:28 PM
phatphil
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Axle whine "fixed" - I am PO'd!

Have you had a set of gears put in recently? If so, were they Ford Racing Gears or Motives? If they were Motives, that is what is causing your whine.
Old 09-26-2006, 12:36 PM
richmod
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: phatphil

Have you had a set of gears put in recently? If so, were they Ford Racing Gears or Motives? If they were Motives, that is what is causing your whine.
Nope. Everything stock. Replacements were whatever Ford uses for the TSB "fix".
Old 09-26-2006, 12:38 PM
drbobvs
5th Gear Member

This is because they replaced the bearings/clutch packs and reused the original gears. Those original gears have already worn a pattern in them. When you try to re-use them you'll never get them back into the exact same position to eachother. They will make decel noise like crazy. Anyone will tell you, you cannot try to wear a new pattern in old gears. They need to replace your ring and pinion gears. They know this, but they just took a chance.
Old 09-26-2006, 12:43 PM
richmod
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: drbobvs

This is because they replaced the bearings/clutch packs and reused the original gears. Those original gears have already worn a pattern in them. When you try to re-use them you'll never get them back into the exact same position to eachother. They will make decel noise like crazy. Anyone will tell you, you cannot try to wear a new pattern in old gears. They need to replace your ring and pinion gears. They know this, but they just took a chance.
The service receipt says "Replaced ring and pinion kit per TSB 05-20-02", so I assume they did replace the ring and pinion. It also lists a part number with a description of "Gear" (part # 5R3Z-4209-E - which fordparts.com lists as GEAR AND PINION ASY). Oh, and I forgot to mention, I have an automatic.
Old 09-26-2006, 12:52 PM
Archion
4th Gear Member

If they did replace the R&P then they did not set the backlash correctly, some will say a little noise is normal, but every rear end I do is damn near silent from the moment it is put in, all it takes is some brains, which most dealer tech's(?) dont have, hell i wouldn't be surprised if the oil changer did your tsb, take it back and make them redo it, ask to see all the old parts, make sure they install a new r&p and ask the tech what the specs were when he set the back lash, and how he did it, major things that should pop out are things like clamp mount dial indicator and machinist's marking dye or some other sort of non-drying marker or pint, usually a deep blue, to check the contact patch of the teeth are the two most important items. Others like shims and such, but if he starts backpedaling, ask that they contract the warranty work out to a reputable speed shop in your area, yes they are allowed to do that, it just cost's them more.

this link has some good info, explains it out a bit for you.
REAR END INFO
Old 09-26-2006, 01:06 PM
richmod
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Archion

If they did replace the R&P then they did not set the backlash correctly, some will say a little noise is normal, but every rear end I do is silent from the moment it is put in, all it takes is some brains, which most dealer tech's(?) dont have, hell i wouldn't be surprised if the oil changer did your tsb, take it back and make them redo it, ask to see all the old parts, make sure they install a new r&p and ask the tech what the specs were when he set the back lash, and how he did it, major things that should pop out are things like clamp mount dial indicator and machinist's marking dye or some other sort of non-drying marker or pint, usually a deep blue, to check the contact patch of the teeth are the two most important items. Others like shims and such, but if he starts backpedaling, ask that they contract the warranty work out to a reputable speed shop in your area, yes they are allowed to do that, it just cost's them more.

this link has some good info, explains it out a bit for you.
REAR END INFO
Thanks for the info and link - very helpful. It's always like walking on eggshells when it comes to grilling the tech regarding the specifics of a repair. Those guys hear Joe Customer start getting all technical with them and it just pisses them off and they zone you out. I figure I'll let them try again and if they still mess it up. then I'll use some of the info you provided. Thanks again. as far as the old parts, since it was done yesterday and I didn't ask for them initially, I assume they're already gone.
Old 09-26-2006, 01:09 PM
phatphil
3rd Gear Member

Good info, how about helping me out, I had 4.10 gears put in last week and they were suppose to be FRRP's G410A and they ended up being G410M. Motives instead of FRRP's. getting a whine when decelerating. Any way to identify the Ford Gears from the Motive gears? I know on the outside of the box, but is their any identifying marks on the gears themselves? The shop has been really up front and are going to do a reinstall this week with the FRRP's.
Old 09-26-2006, 01:19 PM
Archion
4th Gear Member

most manufaturers put some kind of engraved or stamped part#s on the gears, maybe a ford number or some super secret code of their own, depends on who they have making the gears for them, the most common are actually reboxed Richmond gears, all depends on what lot they bought them in, so honestly wouldnt know with out a buyers guide of some sort with a cross reference.
Old 09-26-2006, 01:27 PM
bl1nk
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: phatphil

Good info, how about helping me out, I had 4.10 gears put in last week and they were suppose to be FRRP's G410A and they ended up being G410M. Motives instead of FRRP's. getting a whine when decelerating. Any way to identify the Ford Gears from the Motive gears? I know on the outside of the box, but is their any identifying marks on the gears themselves? The shop has been really up front and are going to do a reinstall this week with the FRRP's.
Motive makes FRPPs gears. If your gears whine its most likely from install not manufacturing.

Quick Reply: Axle whine "fixed" - I am PO'd!