Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MYCOLOR ADD-ON

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2006, 03:14 PM
afixer
5th Gear Member

Default RE: MYCOLOR ADD-ON

ok ill help out too! first off i was one of the first to do this back in april of 05 and i love it. i dont play with the colors much any more but i do use all of the other features that the cluster has. miles till empty, Average MPG, Average MPH, Trip Time, Trunk Ajar, Door Ajar, Security Event happened, crap i know im missing somthing. plus the oil and amp gauges. here is what i know. first off when i did this it was so new i actually did it with my friend. he is the head machanic at the dealership that i go to. so i ordered the parts from him. Ed is a great resourse for this stuff i have talked to him many times regarding this stuff and he is very helpful. a few things to remember when ordering

1. they actually make 4 clusters. GT-MPH and GT-KPH and V6 MPH and V6 KPH so if you live outside of the USA you would prob want the KPH unit (kilomiters per mile).
2. i am not sure if anyone has ordered the GT unit for the V6 to get the 140 spedo but because we were not sure at the time last year i chose the v6 so i would not have any probs.
3. you have to give your miles because they send the new unit with the miles on it to match. i actually drove 1000 miles before the swap so i have a free 1000 mile on my warantee
4. you need to make sure your car can handel the upgrade. pop the blank cover off next to the cig lighter using a small flat screw driver and cloth to protect and the plug for the switch should be pluged into it. i have helped a few guys do this upgrade and have found that they made a harness change and on some cars if you dont have the tracion control or anti loc you may not have the wires to do the install (bummer i know) so check first!
5. as stated before i helped with the install because they didnt know what to do. funny thing is i got my car in feb of 05 so the gas tank , shaker and cluster were all firsts for my friend and since i have all the TSB's i actually new more about the stuff than him. so here ar a few things to do first if you dare! pop out the cover and install the switch quick and simple. then lower the stering wheel and if you grap it at the speedo and the Tach just pull it pops right out exposing the 4 10mm screws for the tech. that way he just has to hook up the computer and download and upload and swap . the whole thing takes like 20 min.
6. ok after Am's coment about the flash i called my bud and asked him, he said that ford may have changed the module on the new units and it just might work. so if you get the parts go ahead and try it the worst that can happen is you put the old cluster back and go to the dealer. so go for it it could save you 80 bucks. i didnt have to pay anyway cause of my bud so give it a try.
7. i have posted the cluster removal pdf and cluster diff link bellow if anyone wants it. it is a real easy mod and i love the extra's so enjoy.

i hope i didnt ramble to much and hope this helps

cluster differance info
cluster removal
Tom
Old 10-03-2006, 05:38 PM
28HopUp
MF Administrator

Afixer, if you add the link I will make this thread a sticky in the 4.0L Appearance sub-section.

Bill Jr.
28hopup
Old 10-04-2006, 12:17 AM
bswor
1st Gear Member

So where else can this be ordered? Is it just from your ford dealer? Thanks.
Old 10-04-2006, 01:38 AM
8cd03gro
5th Gear Member

haha should have gotten iup.

lol jk, it's nice, but i pretty much have left it blue since i bought the car.
Old 10-04-2006, 03:12 AM
afixer
5th Gear Member

another highly inteligent comment from the crowd. actuall when i got my car you couldnt get the IUP due to the lawsuit. plus i dont like the aluminum dash it looks lame in my opinion and it dont go with my black yellow theme. all that aluminum takes away from the retro look.
Old 10-04-2006, 10:06 PM
amystery2u
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: afixer

another highly inteligent comment from the crowd. actuall when i got my car you couldnt get the IUP due to the lawsuit. plus i dont like the aluminum dash it looks lame in my opinion and it dont go with my black yellow theme. all that aluminum takes away from the retro look.
plus I'm 6'6" and the satin covers on the consol hit my leg just enough to make me actually HATE the IUP. Hence me getting the just the cluster.

Thanks for chimming in afixer. Once again it's nice to have someone who's actually done the upgrade contribute.
Old 10-04-2006, 10:09 PM
afixer
5th Gear Member

no prob
Old 10-04-2006, 10:44 PM
Rupp
3rd Gear Member

Ok another newbie question. What does IUP stand for?
Old 10-04-2006, 11:08 PM
28HopUp
MF Administrator

Rupp Date 10/4/2006 8:44:07 PM
Ok another newbie question. What does IUP stand for?
Interior Upgrade Package, which includes the MyColor dash and aluminum trim accents.
Old 10-09-2006, 10:43 PM
amystery2u
3rd Gear Member

OK...the MyColor ADD-ON is done!!! And it was so easy.

I dont know how to upload pics with text so here is the order:

1. New switch already attached to the prewired harness.
2. Dash board removed.
3. New cluster installed. (they wouldn't let me come back and take pics)

Quick Reply: MYCOLOR ADD-ON