Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CDC Ducktail or GT500 Spoiler

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2006, 06:49 PM
Centurion96
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: CDC Ducktail or Roush Spoiler??

For me it's the factory GT500 spoiler. It uses all 4 of the wing bolt holes and there is a California dealer that can get them for you cheap. Part and shipping is less than what my local dealer wants. He is one of the moderators on the Mustang Source Forums under the name 05stangkc. The CDC GT500 spoiler uses only the back two wing holes and requires drilling two more holes in the trunk lid. Only difference is that the factory spoiler is urathane plastic (same as bumpers) and the CDC is ABS. On the CDC ducktail you will have problems with federal laws unless you buy their rear window third light mount. I've ordered a convertible and their trunk mount third light just doesn't hack it.

BB
Old 10-18-2006, 01:39 AM
wingman75
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Centurion96
On the CDC ducktail you will have problems with federal laws unless you buy their rear window third light mount. I've ordered a convertible and their trunk mount third light just doesn't hack it.
You are mistaken about the third light. I asked CDC about the legality of eliminating the third brake light.

My question to CDC was:
You say the third brake light is not necessary in Michigan, but what
if I drive to other states?

The following message is from Kim Rieck of Classic Design Concepts

Jack,
We have checked with all states and the only state it is illegal in would be
Maryland.

Kim Rieck
Classic Design Concepts, LLC.

So Centurion96 unless you are in Maryland you do not need the third light.
Old 10-18-2006, 02:17 AM
blackout
5th Gear Member

+1 wingman.

Centurion what is the dealers phone number, i'm going to my local dealer to get a price for the spoiler unpainted.

-Jeff
Old 10-18-2006, 04:25 AM
Centurion96
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: wingman75

You are mistaken about the third light. I asked CDC about the legality of eliminating the third brake light.

So Centurion96 unless you are in Maryland you do not need the third light.
The requirement for the third brake light is a federal law, not a state law. Just because your state doesn't have a duplicate law on the books doesn't absolve you from complying with the federal law. Why does CDC sell both a coupe and convertible relocated third brake light? Could it possibly be because they are selling a product that requires the owner of the vehicle to disable a federally mandated device to properly install their product and they need to show that they have an alterative for the disabled light? The burden of responsibility is on you the vehicle owner and not the product manufacturer to comply with federal vehicle laws. They are covered because they sell a device to replace the one that is disabled, it is up to the vehicle owner to purchase it and install it. Now let's say you delete the third brake light and you are rear ended, and there are injuries. The insurance companies and the lawyers would have a field day with you. Why, because you disabled a federally mandated safety device and then knowingly operated that vehicle on public roads. Are you willing to risk everything you own in a possible nasty law suit just to have your shiny set of wheels look cool? I'm not. Look I'm not trying to bust your chops, I spent 17 years as a volunteer firefighter, 10 of those years as an officer in the department and 4 of those ten years as a chief. I and my fellow firefighters have had to give sworn testimony in many cases based upon what we observed at both structure fires and traffic accidents. From first hand experience I can say that insurance companies and lawyers are very thorough.

Peace
BB

Semper Fi

Old 10-18-2006, 04:33 AM
Centurion96
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: nothsa

+1 wingman.

Centurion what is the dealers phone number, i'm going to my local dealer to get a price for the spoiler unpainted.

-Jeff

Sorry I don't have a phone number handy but if you want to get their pricing just put "Hotsheets" in the header of an e-mail and send it to:

Clevparts@aol.com

Tell them you're interested in the CDC, Roush and GT500 hotsheets, they are an authorized dealer for all.

BB

Semper Fi
Old 10-18-2006, 10:26 PM
Scotte28516
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: petepete

scotte was that your car at the queen mary show? Also what rear valance is that
Yes it was my car. Were you there?
Old 10-18-2006, 10:32 PM
petepete
5th Gear Member

yep i talked to you for a few minutes because i was looking at your bullit wheels o_O Howd you do?
Old 10-18-2006, 10:33 PM
Scotte28516
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Sherwood06GT

Did you get your Cervinis Duck Tail directly from Cervinis? What did it cost you to have it painted. Was it easy to install?
ORIGINAL: Scotte28516

ORIGINAL: nothsa

I'm going to disagree with Scotte, as that is probably the last ducktail I would buy. It is way to big and does not look correct on the car unless it's on 20's and has the rest of the body kit. I say CDC over Roush, if you're worried about money just use plugs until you are willing to fill them. The CDC gives the car a great look, IMO.

I would be going with that spoiler, but I too don't want to fill the holes. I'm going to be going with the GT500 spoiler from Ford themselves, think it looks great and it covers the holes.

-Jeff
I totally disagree. It fits the car quite well and looks like the original Shelby Mustangs and California Specials from the 60's. The CDC is way too small, and definitely looks purely aftermarket. If you don't fill the holes for the CDC, you have to either plug them or use CDC's crappy billet braces. Both will look $hitty and cheap.

Sorry it took so long to answer, I had abdominal surgery 2 weeks ago and it kicked my a$$. Yeah, I ordered it directly from them. Only took 3 days to be delivered to Cali after ordering. I had it painted along with all the other components, so there was no seperate breakdown of costs. I told the body shop what I wanted done, got them to give me a total in writing, and left it with them. They also installed everything, but it was easy. I was there when they did it, and it took them about 10 minutes. The spoiler is not actually as tall as it looks from the back. It only stick up about 3 1/2".