Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lost a cylinder temporarily

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2006, 03:50 AM
Orion_240
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Lost a cylinder temporarily

Consider yourself lucky and keep your fingers crossed. When my fuel injection started going screwy all I felt was a rough idle, especially when warm. After the CEL came on and it spent over 4 weeks at the dealership with Ford techs flying in and scratching their heads they ended up giving me a new engine. Never even bothered telling me exactly what was wrong with the FI, they were so bust dodging my impatient calls!
Old 10-16-2006, 06:59 AM
LegallyTorchRED
3rd Gear Member

ummmmmmmmmmmm. I'm thinkin if the cylinder actually went "dead" even temporarily, for a brief amount of time. There would be too much unspent fuel in the cylinder, and the plug would be so fouled, that it would not refire until the the plug was replaced, and the cylinder purged of the fuel.
The poster claims to have quite a bit of mechanical knowledge, and I don't dispute that. However, simple common sense sez, take it to the dealer ASAP, no questions asked. That part has me wondering. JMO
Old 10-16-2006, 11:03 AM
GhostPony
2nd Gear Member

I have experienced this issue. My car sounded like a motorboat - one cylinder was not firing correctly. It was missing and sounded like it had a stuck valve.
It turned out to be a bad coil over plug pack. If you drove it easy no motorboat sound. If you kicked in any boost, it sounded awful.
The dealer replaced a COP and all was fine. I obnly got a code when it was pushed harder, not if you took it easy on the throttle.
So make sure your plug connectors are on the plugs solidly!
Old 10-16-2006, 01:14 PM
06GT4RAD
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: GhostPony

I have experienced this issue. My car sounded like a motorboat - one cylinder was not firing correctly. It was missing and sounded like it had a stuck valve.
It turned out to be a bad coil over plug pack. If you drove it easy no motorboat sound. If you kicked in any boost, it sounded awful.
The dealer replaced a COP and all was fine. I obnly got a code when it was pushed harder, not if you took it easy on the throttle.
So make sure your plug connectors are on the plugs solidly!
This is the most likley cause and my guess would be that one of the COP is beginning to fail and will rear it's head agin when the car gets hot and the COP is put under a heavy load such as WOT. Also these cars when they drop one of the COP will shut the fuel off to that cylinder to prevent the cat from being damaged. And if that happens you could install a new plug and COP and still have a misfire if you do not reset the DTC' codes.

Richard
Old 10-16-2006, 09:52 PM
LegallyTorchRED
3rd Gear Member

GREAT answer, 06gt4merad, sorry if the name came out wrong, I had no clue, the computor, could figure that out. As, an "old school" gear head, I just figgered, the "worse" could happen.
THANKS, for the update.