Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A ? for the Floridians

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2006, 06:28 PM
bl1nk
5th Gear Member

Default A ? for the Floridians

Hey guys, I just got a quick question. I recently went through a big ordeal about getting my radar detector hard wired in and concealed so I dont have that huge coiled cord hanging down in front of my dash, so that it looks nice and neat... and now I have another problem... the E-pass.

Anyone have any ideas for hiding it or making it not visible while still working? I hate having it in the dash because people coming at you can see it and I just think its ugly... 6 out of 10 cars I see have that stupid white box in the window and I think it just looks hideous, ruins the look of the car IMO. I want things clean and concealed. So what are you guys doing with yours.. besides hanging them in the windows lol? I know if you leave it in the glove box or the center console chances are it still picks it up but I dont want to take the chance of running a bunch of tolls and not even knowing. Thanks!
Old 10-16-2006, 06:33 PM
localgod11
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: A ? for the Floridians

I leave it in the glove box and take it out when I go throught the tolls
Old 10-16-2006, 06:33 PM
|UCF|chron
2nd Gear Member

no e-pass has to be on dash or mounted under the rear view mirror. u could probably paint it black so its not a big white box as you said. i painted my gate's pass in my old neighborhood, no problems.
Old 10-16-2006, 06:38 PM
mAnYsTyLeS
4th Gear Member

Hey Blink...would you happen to have any pics of how you setup your detector? I was thinking of getting a wireless one, but they're not strong enough. .
Old 10-16-2006, 06:42 PM
bl1nk
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: localgod11

I leave it in the glove box and take it out when I go throught the tolls
This is what Im currently doing and its getting to be a pain, thats why Im trying to find something else to do with it [&:]

ORIGINAL: |UCF|chron
no e-pass has to be on dash or mounted under the rear view mirror. u could probably paint it black so its not a big white box as you said. i painted my gate's pass in my old neighborhood, no problems.
Yeah so Ive been told, but I remember in the old days we had ours stuck to the bottom of the bumper and it still worked.. and we still actually use that same old transmitter in the window of one of our trucks.. so Im not sure why it wouldnt work somewhere else if it used to work under the bumper.. unless they changed something?

ORIGINAL: mAnYsTyLeS
Hey Blink...would you happen to have any pics of how you setup your detector? I was thinking of getting a wireless one, but they're not strong enough. .
I dont have any at the moment, but Ill go take some in a little bit and post them for you.
Old 10-16-2006, 07:28 PM
06SilverStang
1st Gear Member

bl1nkage,

In NY they have the ones you can mount to the front license plate, in your case why not mount it under the hood. Maybe towards the front of the car.

Glenn
Old 10-16-2006, 07:34 PM
bl1nk
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 06SilverStang

bl1nkage,

In NY they have the ones you can mount to the front license plate, in your case why not mount it under the hood. Maybe towards the front of the car.

Glenn
Thanks for the idea, Ill check it out. I was actually thinking of mounting it behind the grill somehow but wasnt sure if it would pick up still... Im searching for actual places people have tried and had success with.. I really cant afford tickets for running tolls lol. I didnt know other states had these systems too (guess its not that recent of technology lol) so if any of you guys in other states have suggestions, feel free to chime in like 06Silver!
Old 10-17-2006, 12:50 AM
Plaidpony

Just a thought. Have you tried placing it between your visor and head liner? I say this because if it works you may be able to fab something (modify the liner etc...) so it fits nicely there and would be fairly concealed. Yet you would still be able to hear it when you pass through a toll. I'm not sure how much the roof would interfere with the signal though.
Old 10-17-2006, 12:52 AM
Agleon
2nd Gear Member

I just put it ontop of my dash when I know I'm going to go through a toll. When I get to my destination, I put it away.