Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ticket Clinic?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2006, 04:30 PM
Saleen302
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Ticket Clinic?

A couple of points.

1. There's no such thing as a "speed trap". Speeds are posted and you should abide by them. When the police target a specific location it's because of complaints or it's a high accident area.

2. The cops standing at a 35 mph sign doesn't mean a thing. You were tagged in a 30 MPH zone before the limit changed.

3. 15 mph over isn't a small violation like being 5 over and not even getting looked at.

4. First ticket in 30 years, just remember all the times you were speeding, got stopped w/o getting a ticket or the times you never got stopped.

5. If your record is that clean talk to the district attorneys office and they may drop it to a non-moving violation without points.

6. For real advice, talk to an attorney and not a bunch of know-nothings (me incl) on a car forum.
Old 10-18-2006, 06:12 PM
jt14894
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Saleen302

A couple of points.
6. For real advice, talk to an attorney and not a bunch of know-nothings (me incl) on a car forum.

Sorry, but I'm not one of those who you consider "know-nothings".
I've been there and done that and so my advice is based on my real life experience at a traffic court.
Before that, I knew nothing about what to do. However, I did talk to an Attorney, but only because he was a good friend of mine.
His specialty is not traffic law, but he basically gave me the rundown on what I may expect.
So, based on that and what I have experienced, if I ever get another ticket, I would go to court and forget about traffic school or whatever. But, if you know an Attorney, or you got some kind of hookup, more power to you.
Old 10-18-2006, 06:22 PM
TPony
6th Gear Member

Stangster 06..get legal advise. What worked for one may not work for you. Every case is unique and is treated as such. Legal advise is the way to go, then make a decision based on it. Me? On one I got for going 17 over...I just paid the fine and end of issue.
Old 10-18-2006, 07:09 PM
05MustangSally
4th Gear Member

I LOVE your car...totally off topic but whatev

ORIGINAL: ilduce321

ORIGINAL: Sherwood06GT

$198 for only 15 over? Holy Crap! That's CRAZY! I got popped in Idaho for going over 20 over the limit, but he wrote me up for 19 over which is much cheaper. It was only $68. Where do you live...I want to stay out of that state!
Hell, I got a ticket for $125 for doing 39 in a 25 in CT...and I was going home after a funeral! Cop didn't care. Same type of speed trap deal.
Old 10-18-2006, 07:16 PM
05MustangSally
4th Gear Member

But on topic...I got my first and only speeding ticket going 39 in a 25 also in California. It's a busy road but the speed is still regulated at 25 for some odd reason. But I just went to court, pleaded guilty and they let me pay $60 for the ticket and cleared it off my record.

The cop put $150 on the ticket originally [:-]

They said that since my driving record had been clean since I got my license (16 yrs. old), they'd drop the price.

And I was only a 19 year old girl (going on 21 now).

I think you're better off going to court, not fighting it and explaining your clean driving record. They're more likely to give you a break if you just admit to it honestly and regretfully.

Hope it works out!
Old 10-18-2006, 08:03 PM
6xStang
3rd Gear Member

this is such a cute discussion. Why? Well I am one of the know-nothings (who is, in fact an attorney but not a traffic lawyer) and have tried numerous strategies for dealing with numerous tickets, with varying amounts of success. It's a very local situation and different localities require different approaches. I know nothing about Miami or their State's attornies, so I won't toss out my worthless advice.

I say that this is a "cute" discussion because 15 over is not a big deal in any jurisdiction that I know of. I just got done dealing with 87 in a 55. OUCH. (no lectures from those who are holier than thou. Of course I was innocent, but that does not matter in traffic court with LIDAR unless you can practically PROVE your innocence).

$198 sounds high, but in Mass I think their speeding fines are set at $50 plus $10 per mile over the limit, so it is in line with others. Most NE states whack you just as bad. With my little ticket I hired a lawyer to represent me who did not earn his fee, I ended up paying close to $400, but I kept my license and didn't spend time in lockup and after seeing the way these excessive speed tix are handled in VA, I AM DARNED HAPPY WITH MY RESULT.

What I would have given to be dealing with a mere 15 over....

Good luck anyway; I'm not mocking....just pointing out that you should feel lucky that you are not in deeper doo-doo.
Old 10-21-2006, 12:11 PM
stangster06
I ♥ Acer

Thanks to all for the help and advice.

I went with the ticket clinic even though:

1. I drove by the same area today and ALL signs are 35mph - the officer made an error.
2. The address the officer wrote on my ticket was incorrect - my license was renewed through the mail and the sticker on the back had my current address - another error on the ticket.

The above make me quesiton the competence of the officer.

I just decided on Ticket Clinic so i would not need to take time from work.

Saleen302 -

"1. There's no such thing as a "speed trap". Speeds are posted and you should abide by them. When the police target a specific location it's because of complaints or it's a high accident area.

2. The cops standing at a 35 mph sign doesn't mean a thing. You were tagged in a 30 MPH zone before the limit changed."

Thanks for the great laugh - if you are not joking, you must just be naive or young - you will one day learn "the truth" about speed traps. Ask any police officer (as I have and they will readily admit it.) Good luck to you, welcome to the forum and thanks for giving your opinion.

Old 10-21-2006, 07:19 PM
timothyrw
3rd Gear Member

you do realize that 45 in a 35 is still speeding, don't you?
Old 10-21-2006, 07:37 PM
rex7010
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: bl1nkage

If you opt to take the traffic class they will reduce the fine slightly in lieu of you having to pay for the school. If you take the class no points will get stuck on your recrod, the insurance never knows about it and the ticket gets "erased" for lack of a better term and youll never hear about it or see anything from it again (aside from the hundreds of mail in advertisements). Just pay the fine, take the class, and move on with life. You did something wrong, time to pay the price. I wouldnt try to do any crazy stuff like get out of the ticket or anything, just look at it as justice. True, cops dont show up alot of the time but that differs from officer to officer and the severity of his tickets hes written. Personally to me its not worth it to sit there and plan out court meetings, take off work and all that other bull crap, and if for any reason you dont show up, no matter what the reason, your license will be suspended. So if you think 160 bucks is worth it go through all that crap, miss at least half a days work and take those chances then you may want to go to court and fight it, but Id do it yourself, I wouldnt recommend any of those businesses like that.

+1 .. just pay it and move on.. the school will take off points.. ( at least it does in Ohio where I live )

JMO .. but you are making a big deal out of just one ticket.. if you had a bunch.. then I would go the lawyer route.. but one ticket.. pay it and move on..[sm=gears.gif]

this is not a slam.. so please don't take it as such.. OK..??? just what I would DO..!!!!

EDIT: BTW: I got a ticket one time for doing 59 in a 55 ... tell me that is not a bunch of s***

Rex
Old 10-21-2006, 08:13 PM
callahan
3rd Gear Member

Buy a good laser/radar detector and keep your eyes open. Over the crest of a hill is always a good gotcha place for speed traps.

Quick Reply: Ticket Clinic?