Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ticket Clinic?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2006, 11:40 AM
stangster06
I ♥ Acer

Default Ticket Clinic?

Dear All - my apologies - I just realized I probably posted this in the wrong section of the forum. Just always used to coming here for the great feedback, comments and advice from you all. Moderators - please feel free to move to the appropriate area and I apologize again. Thanks to everyone for their comments - greatly appreciated as always!

Hi everyone. I just got my first speeding ticket in over 30 years of driving (have been stopped before but got lucky I guess and got warnings). It was an obvious speed trap - around a corner, 4 or 5 police cars together aiming the gun and pulling cars over as you came around. I got a ticket for, accoring to the officer, going 45 in a 30mph zone - no school zone, etc.

I am disturbed by this for a couple of reasons - I am a safe and responsible driver and even though maybe I was going over 30, I was just in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Some more facts - although the ticket, which I did not look at until I got home, says the posted speed was 30, I did notice that the police cars were parked right next to a sign that said 35. The police officer did not say why I was pulled over (although it was pretty obvious) -only asked for my license, registration and insurance, wrote the ticket and told me I had 3 ooptions - pay the fine, go to traffic school or go to court. - I only said "thank you officer".

My first instinct was to just go to traffic school or take the online course.

I live in Maimi and there is a service called The Ticket Clinic. They claim they guarantee you will not have to pay the fine or get points.

Has anyone had experience with them or similar service? They seemed very busy when I called them and kept putting me on hold. I also called another similar service/attorney recommended by a co-worker and they were able to talk to me but they do not advertise like the Ticket Clinic. They charge $69.99.

I have definitely decided I want to go this route but don't know if I should go with the TC or the other service. Does it make a difference or are they all the same? Are my chances of getting the ticket dropped good?

I guess they hope that the officer will not show up the day of the trial and the case will be dismissed but what happens if the officer does show up? How can they "guarantee" they will get the ticket dismissed?

Any feedback or suggestions from anyone who has had experience with this personally would be greatly appreciated - I know there are a few attorneys on this forum. I am now afraid to go over 35! Very sad. I don't want to affect my safe driver status or have to do the traffic school (and pay the $198 fine!) because they told even if I did not get the points it may still affect my insurance.

Thanks to all as always for the help and great advice.

Old 10-18-2006, 01:08 PM
Sherwood06GT
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Ticket Clinic?

$198 for only 15 over? Holy Crap! That's CRAZY! I got popped in Idaho for going over 20 over the limit, but he wrote me up for 19 over which is much cheaper. It was only $68. Where do you live...I want to stay out of that state!
Old 10-18-2006, 01:19 PM
ilduce321
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Sherwood06GT

$198 for only 15 over? Holy Crap! That's CRAZY! I got popped in Idaho for going over 20 over the limit, but he wrote me up for 19 over which is much cheaper. It was only $68. Where do you live...I want to stay out of that state!
Hell, I got a ticket for $125 for doing 39 in a 25 in CT...and I was going home after a funeral! Cop didn't care. Same type of speed trap deal.
Old 10-18-2006, 01:39 PM
bl1nk
5th Gear Member

If you opt to take the traffic class they will reduce the fine slightly in lieu of you having to pay for the school. If you take the class no points will get stuck on your recrod, the insurance never knows about it and the ticket gets "erased" for lack of a better term and youll never hear about it or see anything from it again (aside from the hundreds of mail in advertisements). Just pay the fine, take the class, and move on with life. You did something wrong, time to pay the price. I wouldnt try to do any crazy stuff like get out of the ticket or anything, just look at it as justice. True, cops dont show up alot of the time but that differs from officer to officer and the severity of his tickets hes written. Personally to me its not worth it to sit there and plan out court meetings, take off work and all that other bull crap, and if for any reason you dont show up, no matter what the reason, your license will be suspended. So if you think 160 bucks is worth it go through all that crap, miss at least half a days work and take those chances then you may want to go to court and fight it, but Id do it yourself, I wouldnt recommend any of those businesses like that.
Old 10-18-2006, 01:42 PM
stangster06
I ♥ Acer

I live in Miami. 10 - 14 was $173. 15 - 19 was $198. Really curious how I just "made the cut". It was an obvious situation set up to give out tickets. I know they were just doing their job. I was just in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Hoping to get this resolved with one of the ticket clinics or an attorney - they charge about $70 and guarantee you will not get a conviction or points, especially since I have never gotten a speeding ticket before. Seems the best route to go but still looking for anyone with feedback or advice on this.

Thanks.
Old 10-18-2006, 01:44 PM
Meph
2nd Gear Member

Double check with a lawyer who can give you a free sit down session about the case. Because if they state they're stopping you for 15mph over a "posted" 30, yet the sign posted is actually 35... technicallities are always on your side.

Also go to the area and take pictures. LOTS of pictures. Pictures from a couple hundred feet up, if there's a posted "Speed Zone Ahead" sign. Where they were tagging you from, where the 35mph sign was, if there are 2 35mph signs or only 1, pictures of how the corner is and if the speed zone starts right after the corner, etc etc...

Added all together you can have a pretty clear case to victory.
Old 10-18-2006, 01:55 PM
jt14894
2nd Gear Member

Deleted text.
Old 10-18-2006, 01:57 PM
jt14894
2nd Gear Member

I say, the easiest thing to do is go to court.
You can avoid going to driving school and having to pay a reduced fine (which is still a lot) and all that.
If you go through these ticket agencies, clinics, or whatever you're probably going to spend the same amount of $$$ trying to save on paying the fine so you're back where you started.

Last summer, I got a ticket for a suspended license unknowingly in Hillsborough county (Tampa) and, to my surprise, my ticket was dismissed.
I had no idea what to expect, since I had never been to court before, but the Judge explained the court rules and proceedings and gave three options to plead: NOT GUILTY, NO CONTEST (NOLO CONTENDRE), or GUILTY.
NOT GUILTY - Claims innocence
NO CONTEST - Will not contest charge, but neither admits guilt nor claims innocence.
GUILTY - Committed crime

If you plead NO CONTEST or GUILTY, no points go on your license and you WILL NOT have to attend drivers school. In addition, the Judge will enter Adjudication Withheld (Insurance will not be affected) to your driving record and all you'll have to pay is a $10 court fee. Thats it! You're done!
I don't know if Miami Dade County is the same, but I would expect it to be.

Now, if you're absolutely sure that you're not at fault, and you have the proof, plead NOT GUILTY, but you'll have to have to reschedule another court date and the arresting officer will be contacted to appear.
You'll have a 50/50 chance that the arresting officer will be there, and the majority of the time the ruling will go in their favor if they do, so be prepared with all the evidence that proves that you're not at fault. If you lose, then you may have to pay the fine, as well as court costs, and go to driving school.
If you change your mind and decide to go to court, you can't pick your own court date so you'll have to appear on the date the Clerk of Court assigns you. It may be a few weeks so make sure you have the time to be there because, depending on how many people are there, and when your last name is called (they call names from A to Z), it may be a while.

I wish I had done that a long time ago, after my first traffic ticket, then I would have never worried about going to those boring 4-hour driver improvement classes. Well, you live you learn.

Oh! One more thing, always dress appropriately. I mean something a little formal or business casual. It doesn't look good in front of the Judge if you're not clean shaven, wearing a baseball cap, dirty T-shirt, ragged jeans, shorts or flip flops, etc, etc. (which a lot of folks were wearing when I went), you get the picture.
If you look professional or appropriate, then he or she may give you a break and not have you pay the court fee, which I didn't have to.
I didn't even get to plead, he just looked at my ticket and said OK dismissed. BAM!! Piece-A-cake!! Have a nice day!!

So my advise to anyone is to just go to court, if possible, plead NO CONTEST or GUILTY, pay a small court fee, and thats it!

Anyway, thats my 2 cents.

Best of luck.
Old 10-18-2006, 02:15 PM
stangster06
I ♥ Acer

Thanks for the great advice JT. That is probably the way to go (court) especially since i have a very clean record. The only thing I can see about going through one of these attorneys or services is that you don't have to take time off from work to go to court. I guess they probably just do what you described - that is probably why they can guarantee no citation or points.

Really appreciate everyone's advice.
Old 10-18-2006, 03:48 PM
jt14894
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: stangster06

Thanks for the great advice JT. That is probably the way to go (court) especially since i have a very clean record. The only thing I can see about going through one of these attorneys or services is that you don't have to take time off from work to go to court. I guess they probably just do what you described - that is probably why they can guarantee no citation or points.

Really appreciate everyone's advice.
Hey no problem! Glad to help.
Yeah. That's the only issue about going to court yourself. You'll have to sacrifice a vacation day just to be there, but I think its worth it especially for a $198 ticket. However, if you have any sick days, you could just call in sick. That could be an option too.

Hope everything works out.

Quick Reply: Ticket Clinic?