Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FREE Oil change

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2006, 03:04 PM
Humboldt Stang
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: FREE Oil change

Sorry, the $10.00 charge makes no sense to me.
He brought in his own oil, so there's a savings for the dealership right there.
As far as disposal, they would've had to do that with his oil anyway, and supplying his own didn't change that.
So, they save money on the oil, and reap a benefit of an extra 10 bucks?
No logical reason for the charge that I can see.
What am I missing?
Old 11-04-2006, 03:07 PM
Horrific_Ending
4th Gear Member

wow i dont understand why your getting bent out of shape for 10 bucks. i could understand if they charged you 50 bucks like they did me and when you bought the car they said your first service is free. and i understand its not the money but the principle. But come on dude i bet you have better things to worry bout instead of 10 bucks the dealership stole from you.
Old 11-04-2006, 03:13 PM
shaner

I hate to be rude, but if you are going to send a letter to Ford, you need to have someone else write it for you.
The grammer, spelling and structure to your letter is seriously lacking. Also, using words like "stupid" will make them rip your letter up and throw it out without even finishing it.

I think you'll be doing more harm than good by sending that letter.
Old 11-04-2006, 03:15 PM
Humboldt Stang
3rd Gear Member

I think that's why he asked for help in the first place, acknowledging that the first draft needed work.
Old 11-04-2006, 03:30 PM
Orion_240
6th Gear Member

Yes, it doesn't make any sense! Why have someone else do an oil change that wasn't even needed, and have THEM put in your premium synth oil???
You should have taken a free oil change just to get one, then done your own Royal Purple oil change 3000 miles later.
If you want, edit the letter, taking out all the hate and opinions and just leave the facts about what caused you to be upset, do a spell check. as there are too many words capitalized for no reason, repost the new letter here and we'll let you know if it's better.
Also, I hope you're sending it to the dealership. Don't send it to Ford, as they don't run the service dept.
Oh, and either way, make sure your oil gets recycled! The planet thanks you!
Old 11-04-2006, 03:41 PM
Ford_Dude
5th Gear Member

as for why I wanted the oil change a 1000 miles is to get any assembly lube out and go to a higher protection factor because I care about my car
as for the 10 bucks its a matter of principle even if its 1 dollar I'll say something because I work for my money and every dollar is important
yes I'll rework the letter and it seems MS word didn't pick up on some of the grammar errors
If I don't think the reason for an increase in cost is acceptable then I think it should be corrected
Old 11-04-2006, 04:30 PM
Ford_Dude
5th Gear Member

hows this for a 2nd draft I know the grammer needs work
Hello, my name is "Name Omited"
I am 21 years of age
I have always liked Ford vehicles and service

On Monday October 2nd, 2006 I bought a Ford Mustang GT at Baytown Ford

I was told that I would receive a survey in the mail and if I brought in the survey I would be given a Free oil change. When I did I was given a coupon for a free oil change, however I am more picky about what oil I put in my car. So I purchased 6 quarts of Royal Purple 5W-20 motor oil and after some research I bought a K&N oil filter (NOT AIR FILTER), because my research showed that this oil filter is better than the others in design and construction.

So Today (Friday November 3rd, 2006), I went to Baytown Ford to have the oil changed and it all seemed fine. Until it was done, and at that point I was told that because I provided my own oil I would have to pay the labor which isn't that big a deal money wise, but I had been told that at most I would have to pay tax and I provided the oil and if I had been informed of this I would have changed it myself.

And then to add to that I said I was planning to change the ATF & Differential to Royal Purple ATF and Max gear for the Trans fluid and Differential respectively and the service guy said if I changed the Transmission fluid to anything except the Motorcraft fluid it would void the warranty which is illegal

If I’m going to be the target of bait and switch I’ll have to reconsider my strong preference of Ford Motor Company

If someone can get away with something like this, I hate to imagine if it was something bigger

When I research something, I am very complete about it.
After I am confident that the break-in period is complete I only use Full synthetic motor oil, because I care about my car and I am willing to spend more to see that it stays in good shape, but I only spend the money on what research proves is better for my car, not because I am weaseled out of my hard earned cash with an offer of free service.
Old 11-04-2006, 11:55 PM
Silencer06
2nd Gear Member

Location: Raised in Chicago; living near St. Louis in Troy, IL

ORIGINAL: shaner

I hate to be rude, but if you are going to send a letter to Ford, you need to have someone else write it for you.
The grammer, spelling and structure to your letter is seriously lacking. Also, using words like "stupid" will make them rip your letter up and throw it out without even finishing it.

I think you'll be doing more harm than good by sending that letter.

I couldn't agree more. Very poorly written letter.

Word of sound advice for you Ford-Dude -- businesses of all sorts will respond much more favorably to professionally and tactfully written correspondence than letters that use poor grammer (run-on sentences, misspellings, and ZERO periods) and/or inflammatory remarks (like the word stupid ANYWHERE within it). I'm not trying to criticize you, but rather help you make a better point next time. I encourage you to ask a friend or family member to proof-read an important letter like that before sending it next time. Four eyes are ALWAYS better than two when you're trying to make an important point to a corporation full of college-educated executives that you're trying to "connect" with and hopefully establish a rapport with. The first impression they're going to get from your letter is negatively because of its poor readability. They're immediately distracted from your point, which in turn weakens its effectiveness and strength. Again, not criticizing and I hope you don't take this personal. Just trying to help a fellow Mustang brother.

As for the 10 bucks, I agree with redfireshaker06, that you were probably charged because you didn't use their supplies. Yes, it would make sense that you saved them money by using your own, but my experience with dealerships is that they will always use THEIR supplies....or you pay the cost. Don't know if that is a for sure thing in your case, but I think it might be.

Best of luck in your quest!

EDIT: I posted this AFTER realizing you already re-posted an edited version. Sorry 'bout that. In any case, the new version is better, but still needs a bit of a clean-up for good strong effect.
Old 11-05-2006, 01:24 AM
Sonic Boom NH
2nd Gear Member

I do not understand the logic behind paying any money if you’re brought in your own oil vs. using the dealer’s oil.

Could someone explain that one to me? I read a few reply’s that seem to understand that logic like its common sense, use a businesses supplies and its free, bring your own and you pay?

When people bring their own beer to parties do they pay? Alright that one is just trying to be funny but I seriously do not understand the logic. Does it cost more because someone has to take 6 caps off of 6 – 1qt bottles of oil rather then pumping it out of a 55 gallon barrel?

Throwing the 6 plastic bottles away is free because I don’t pay extra for trash fees when I throw my 6 plastic bottles in the trash. I can understand a few of your points of ”Well it’s only $10” however those points don’t hold water, in my opinion, when something is stated as being FREE. Free means no cost, like getting away with something, a present…

So, if someone is promised something free but then it cost, how much is not ok? $10 is ok, so would $100 be ok, or would $1,000 be ok?

I personally see absolutely no reason, no logic, and no business sense of why you would get charged for bringing your own supplies so I agree with the original poster and would say this particular dealer is a scam artist and a crock…

I also agree that if the original poster decides to send a letter to re-write it properly and never return to the dealer since they don’t have honest business practices to begin with and it appears many here agree with that because they make statements that lead others to believe if a letter was sent their would be pay back from the dealer…

It’s so sad that dealers have customers believing that they, the dealer, is the daddy and you had better bow down or else. My dealer is not my daddy and if this had happen to me then believe me I would fire off a letter and my dealer had better treat me like a king or else…
Old 11-05-2006, 03:23 AM
Justastockmustang
2nd Gear Member

When your at the dealer, or anywhere else for that matter, and you want anything other than what is standard, ALWAYS check the price first and if possible, get it in writing.

The purpose of their promotion is to get you started using their products and services, not because they love you.

Quick Reply: FREE Oil change