Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Removing real spoiler

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2006, 10:16 AM
The Real Dodge

Default Removing real spoiler

I know I've seen posts about this in the past! I've done several searches and just can't find them. Hate to ask but can anyone post the how too? I know I have to get the holes plugged and then painted I wonder if anyone has done this and if they can give me an idea of what it takes to do ($$). I was planning on taking the spolier off my self and cleaning the area up then take it to a paint shop. Any before and after pic's would be great.

Thanks All
Old 11-05-2006, 10:59 AM
Sonic Boom NH
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Removing real spoiler

I don’t have any pictures but I can give you some advice on removing the spoiler itself.

1. Unbolt spoiler.

2. Use fishing string to cut between the adhesive of the spoiler and truck lid. Get plenty of string because you will break some. Also when using the fishing string try to maintain a back and forth cutting motion because if you stop or slow down to much the string gets bound up in the adhesive and breaks. After about 10 minutes I got a good rhythm.

3. Once you have cut through the adhesive you will need to pull the spoiler off. Be forewarned that you still have to pull at it pretty good because even though you cut through the adhesive its still on there and will not just simply lift off. Be careful when pulling on the spoiler that you don’t dent the trunk lid, the lid is thin metal and if you pull too much you could bend it up.

4. Once the spoiler is off you can use your fingers to get most the adhesive on the truck lid it self off.

5. Next use WD-40 to get the remaining adhesive off. WD-40 will not hurt paint and in my opinion works better then any of those “specific” brands made to take road crap off.

6. After you have removed all the adhesive, regardless what you used WD-40 or something else, wash the area to remove any of the WD-40 residue or other products residue.

I don’t have any information on filling the holes etc as I replaced my spoiler with a painted Roush spoiler.
Old 11-05-2006, 11:10 AM
The Real Dodge

Thanks for your help. This maybe my sunday project. I've been looking around and saw a old post about some plugs that soneone used as a temp fix. I may do that till I can get her to the body shop? Not sure yet. I may do this and put her up on jack stands pull the wheels and paint my calipers if I have trouble finding plugs or getting into the body shop.
Old 11-05-2006, 03:57 PM
Orion_240
6th Gear Member

Yes, I guess there's something wrong w/ the search engine at the bottom of this page. The only result for "Remove spoiler" was THIS thread!