Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP! Sudden Acceleration !!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2006, 10:40 PM
awakeinAZ
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: HELP! Sudden Acceleration !!!

one word comes to mind.... OUCH!!!!!!
Old 12-27-2006, 10:46 PM
JAIME HURTEM
1st Gear Member

Alot of experienced drivers here and for some reason its all happened in our mustangs. happened to me too and could swear it was the floormat. Maybe it wasnt too coincidental to all of us if this hasnt happened in another vehicle we have owned, then thats a big clue.
Old 12-27-2006, 10:56 PM
JimsGT
3rd Gear Member

Wow, thats crazy! Good luck in what you find out!

Reminds me of the problem that was in Audi 5000's back in the late 70's or even early 80's
(I think there was a 60 Minutes piece on it)
Old 12-27-2006, 11:17 PM
backinblack06
3rd Gear Member

I had this problem too one day on the way home froma friends house. At first I thought it was the floormat but then I realized there was no way the floormat could have gotten stuck in the pedal because I was barely touching the gas. I was not braking when it started and no my foot did not accidently hit anything, I am well aware of my feet position when I drive. The car went from 35 to about 50 than it chilled out and hasn't done anything wrong again. Pretty scary but who knows. The dealer won't look twice at the car since they will think either I'm retarded or "my feet are hitting something or the gas without my knowledge."
Old 12-27-2006, 11:30 PM
xbone
3rd Gear Member

What kind of butthead buys a GT for a 17 year old daughter? If this is an actual problem with fly by wire, big time recalls coming, and thats what happens when theres too much confidence in computers. Don't know what the hell was wrong with a good old throttle cable, too simple and proven I guess. I drive an auto but I am a two foot driver, one foot for each pedal, thats why God gave us two feet. Try it, its faster.
Old 12-28-2006, 12:37 AM
bluestanger

I've had this problem too in my 05 V6 auto. Upon turning on a curve or u-turn, the car would accelerate, even with my foot on the brake. Too weird ... like it was Herbie. Happened pretty often, but of course not when my husband drove it to test it out. I traded in the 05 two weeks ago for an 07 GT manual and have not had that problem as of yet with the new car.
Old 12-28-2006, 06:02 AM
spooky
2nd Gear Member

i've had this happen 2 times when the car was in neutral. it was just a slight rev, but it was doing it on it's own. if it ever became a serious problem where i don't feel safe, i'm trading in the car for something else.
Old 12-28-2006, 09:39 AM
07stanglady
1st Gear Member

I had this happen on a freeway onramp, and I still don't know whether it was the floormat or what. I was hitting the gas pretty hard to get into traffic, but then decided that I'd back off enough to let the guy at my left quarter panel get by, but then the accelerator didn't back off when I took my foot off the gas. At that point, instinct took over and I just gunned it and got in front of the guy and merged, but it was more than a bit unnerving. After I gunned it and let off the gas to see what it would do, it was back to normal. It hasn't happened since and that was a month ago, and like I said, I'm not positive it wasn't the floormat. I do know it had nothing to do with the brake, since obviously I wasn't braking, just letting off the accelerator to coast a bit to let the other guy by.

I'll be watching this thread for more info!
Old 12-28-2006, 12:07 PM
shaners90lxhatch
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: greenszy

Well you are not alone. You post to warn other people of the problem. Then you get all the negative responses, your shoe size, you had your foot on both pedals, etc. Well, here's my horror story.

This past Saturday my wife and I drove to a buddy's house to see his Xmas lights. Upon leaving I backed out of his driveway, and put our 2006 GT Premium Coupe into drive and had the wildest 10 second drive of my life. You know you cannot shift into reverse or drive without having your foot on the brake. So, I put my foot on the brake, shift into reverse and idle backwards. With my foot on the brake I shift into drive and immediately the car goes full, wide open throttle. Well, the brakes did nothing to slow the car down. I put my left foot on the brake also and it would not stop. We were on a narrow street (residential) where I had to make a left and then a right to get out. I could do nothing but steer the car and try to avoid hitting anything. Well, I missed the first house
drove up on the lawn of the second house, hit the rear of a Caddy in the driveway, then careened across the street into a driveway with a carport. I hit the garage at the rear of the driveway, which
eventually stopped the car.

We filed a complaint with Ford, and filed a complaint with the NHTSA. The car is in the body shop right now. As for the negative responses, I hope I get to see their posts when it happens to them.

Drive careful......
As authentically scary as this sounds, and as objective as I can possibly be, I have a really hard time believing that the engine overpowered the brakes from a standstill. You are saying that of the thousands of people here that do powerbrake burnouts, theyallare inches away from having the car take off. I don't know about you guys but I have had to actually lift my foot off the brake a bit to allow for some wheelspin in the automatics. Obviously with the standard you can just pop the clutch and get back on the brake, but double footing both the brake and the gas in nearly EVERY vehicle I have driven (save really powerful trucks and sports cars), cable or electronic, has difficulty overpowering the rear brakes when I am literally standing on them. Your brakes WILL overpower the engine from a standstill. If anyone here wants to validate this, simply put your left foot on the brake as hard as you possibly can, then do the same for the accelerator. The most you will end up with is spinning rear tires. I know it is difficult to admit (like anyone wants to consider such a catastrophic mistake!) but the odds of this vehicle attaining a mind of it's own (only when braking is involved) versus a human driver making a mistake makes the big ball lottery look likea church raffle. I will never admit that this is impossible. Hell, the moonCOULD fall into the ocean tomorrow -but it is extremely unlikely. Just like with alleged self accelerations. Your dealer should have enough maturity to take your isssue seriously, but I have heard of dealers that say "ma'am, if your car drives itself, you should just sit in the back seat from now on..." OBVIOUSLY this is not the proper way to handle such an event. But you must put forth the effort to see your concern from a dealer/manufacturer/technical perspective if you want the other parties to consider your issue with the same respect.........
BTW, people here are intelligent enough to think outside of the box. This is good, but just like with anything else; the more you know about something, the easier troubleshooting that thing becomes. I will not attempt to diagnose home computer issues because I know little about them. It is foolish to convince yourself that you have a logical technical explaination for this issue without knowing specific details about it......
Old 01-17-2007, 01:53 AM
Dave40

Well iv had a some what simular thing happen but not as exstream! I get a stalling every so often. or about to stall. then it rebounds and over idels a bit but no red lining at all. Dealer is gona replace its throtal sensor to try to fix my problem. Good luck with yours.

Quick Reply: HELP! Sudden Acceleration !!!