Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Weird RATTLE coming from the dash.

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2006, 03:27 PM
James Cole
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Weird RATTLE coming from the dash.

Thanx for all the responses, I would really really like to fix it myself, I just would like to know what exactly is causing it so that I don't do trial and error, its very damn weird its not like a 'plastic' rattle is more metal almost like if it was the exhaust or an aluminum heat shield... does your mustang had a metallic rattle?

Old 11-20-2006, 03:49 PM
markj
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: skin5050

I just had mine at the ford dealer for the squeaky/rattling dash on the pass side. I mentioned the anti rattle kit, but the svc guy had no idea what that was. When I picked my car up on Friday, he said something about the A pillar not connecting and that was why it was squeaking. Well, after driving her all weekend, I'm here to say that the squeaking is back again! It was quiet for about 24 hours. On the driver's side, it doesn't squeak, but it makes a clicking sound, like something is lose. (only when it's cold outside) It's totally ridiculous! To make matters worse, I had a date Sat night and was driving w/ the radio turned off. All you could hear was the chirping,squeaking sounds from my dash. It made my mustang sound so cheap! And probably didn't impress my date either!!! This should not be happening to a car w/ only 8k miles on it!!!
Bring it back. That is the same rattle-chirping I had and I have not had a problem since getting it fixed. I was also told that the center piller was part of the problem. You are so right. New cars should not be having these issues.
Old 11-20-2006, 04:14 PM
James Cole
1st Gear Member

SO anybody knows what exactly is causing it?
Old 11-20-2006, 06:07 PM
chp2150
1st Gear Member

I'd be VERY careful doing anything to tha passengedr side dash panel. If you look above the glove box at the two peice panel, see the small slit that extends across the length of the passenger side? That's where the airbag EXPLODES from. Talk about poking the lion with a stick with the cage open! Let the dealer work on that side, they know the proper way to disable the EXPLOSIVE airbag before working on that side of the dash. If you've ever seen a demo of an airbag deployment, you'll treat these things with great respect.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=NDGieNhkkP8

This video was made for emergency response personell so they know what to watch for in autos equiped with airbags.

So go ahead and work on the squeek and make sure that your next of kin has 911 on speed dial.
Old 11-20-2006, 06:45 PM
wingman75
5th Gear Member

OUCH!!!!!!!
Old 11-20-2006, 07:17 PM
James Cole
1st Gear Member

************PROBLEM FIXED*******************

I took it to the muffler shop because the noise seem to be coming from underneath the car (under de Hvac controls). And it turns out it was the drivers side first exhaust hanger that was a bit bent from the factory so with engine movement it hit the car frame making a loud metallic rattle... They straightened the hanger and Now the noise is completely gone!

Only passenger side A-pillar and trunk Rattle to go! I might be keeping this car after all, its really growing on me now.
Old 11-21-2006, 01:44 PM
wingman75
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: James Cole
************PROBLEM FIXED*******************
I took it to the muffler shop because the noise seem to be coming from underneath the car (under de Hvac controls). And it turns out it was the drivers side first exhaust hanger that was a bit bent from the factory so with engine movement it hit the car frame making a loud metallic rattle... They straightened the hanger and Now the noise is completely gone!

Only passenger side A-pillar and trunk Rattle to go! I might be keeping this car after all, its really growing on me now.
Sherie, a newbie, got her rattle fixed and there turned out to be a TSB on the problem.

To quote her:
"TSB06-4-1 is the exhaust hanger by transmission. They installed clamps to stop it from vibrating. I guess it would vibrate and transmit through the console. Seems to have fixed it so far."

Funny my rattle has gotten worse in the last few days. Could be the weather, its much colder lately. Will be taking it in soon for 1st oil change and rattle, but no other issues.
Old 11-21-2006, 02:20 PM
Dior85
1st Gear Member

i have rattling but im almost sure its comming from the back....anybody having rattling commin from the back?