Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2007 Front Suspension Thunking Noise

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2007, 05:50 PM
northy_polk
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: 2007 Front Suspension Thunking Noise

Ragnar: I think that's part of the bitch of it for me. I've replaced all the stuff with non-OEM everythings and STILL the bloody noise. Sure it's dampened, but it's freakin there haunting me. Does the motor lean to one side on the mounts? Is it because usually there is no passenger so the weight of the driver causes "imbalance in the force"? God only freakin knows...for the moment at least.
Old 04-05-2007, 06:45 PM
wolfey2k
4th Gear Member

Given certain road conditions, both sides thunk. At least on mine it does.
Mostly on the passenger side but I am sure that's mainly because that's the only side hitting the small bumps.
When I am in downtown DC, it thunks on both sides and I can hear it cometimes over ripples while at high speeds on the highway.
Both sides suck!
There, feel better now? ;-P lol!

Wolfey2k
Old 04-05-2007, 06:49 PM
Jays Mustang
3rd Gear Member

Hi, Radnar, This has been a question right long. It always seems to start on the right.(as far as I know) My left kicked in at 1200 miles which was like a week later for me. Is it the weight of the driver or like Northy said, the lack of weight on the right side? Because you figure all the struts, bearings, springs etc. are assembled in one area of the factory then brought to the assembly line. Now throw in Wolfeys idea that the support bar stops chassic flex. So that either masks and/or slows the advance of the noise. If that's the case my left might not have kicked in for a few thousand miles. There's tons of ideas on the subject as to why, when, how etc. All I can say is we have crap installed on our cars. What the complete fix is? We'll have to see.
Old 04-05-2007, 07:29 PM
Jays Mustang
3rd Gear Member

Ragnar, My car is real bad on both sides. Just wanted to comment on weight again. Conv weight about 225lb more than coupes. Shelby about 400lb more the GT coupe. So we talked about weight possibly masking the noise for a period of time. But one Shelby owner had the noise with only 3.8 miles and noise off the lot. So I think there was horrible quality control on some of these parts. There's probably a great percentage of drivers with no noise at all. And were the very unfortunate few that had crap mounted to our cars. And some did have replacement part that sucked too out of the box. That's why we even talked about unrelated parts like K-members and such trying to figure this out. I did have an email from one person that had his K-member checked and it wasn't the problem. Some day we'll figure this out.
Old 04-05-2007, 07:46 PM
Ragnar
1st Gear Member

Thanks for all the responses. I guess time will tell. I'm looking forward to the TSB. I have had this from day 1...only on the passenger side...even with a passenger in the car. Could be flexing. Doubt it's engine torgue as I will be cruising along at 20 mph and hit a sewer lid and thunk. Coasting out of the driveway when I reach the part where the apron hits the street and thunk. Just like everyone notes. I hate to be without my car for a day or so and not have it fixed. I guess it will give me an excuse to have the TSB for the bubbles in the fuel pump fixed while I'm there. I'll keep watching this thread and pass on the news of the TSB to the several other forums with threads on this....unless you guys already have that covered.
Old 04-05-2007, 08:01 PM
wolfey2k
4th Gear Member

Cool, no problem man.
What are all these other forums talking about the thunk?
Can you list them here?
I'd like to read what they're saying.
Thanks!
Wolfey2k
Old 04-05-2007, 08:44 PM
northy_polk
3rd Gear Member

i've been posting on stangnet.

http://forums.stangnet.com/showthread.php?t=604836
Old 04-05-2007, 11:35 PM
Jays Mustang
3rd Gear Member

I punched up "thunking mustangfront end" on Dogpile and other search engines and found other forums. Ragnar, I know what you mean about slow speed thunks. And I mean "slow" speed. The driveway edge, manhole, pothole, little divits/cracks in parking lots at 5 mph and "Thunk". I never thought the frame actually flexed and cause the noise. As I talked ages ago, if we were hanging corners at Lime Rock Race Track and the noise started after abunch ofhot laps I'd blame the noise on waring out parts from frame flex. I drive nice and easy. (no choice with a bad back)But it's obvious we had crappy parts installed on our cars. How many miles do you have on your car now Ragnar? I think you will have the left kick in at some point but maybe you had the extreme, a real bad one on the right and a real good one on the left. Who knows. Anyway I'm still going to add support to the frame, figure it can't hurt.
Old 04-06-2007, 12:30 AM
Ragnar
1st Gear Member

Got 17K miles now. Thunked from day 1. Was in the dealership 3 times. They replaced the whole passenger suspension under an early TSB. No effect. Driver side is perfect. I'm easy on the car too. Gone fast (about 150), but only a few times. I really don't hot rod around. Fair to say car is babied. Thunking is no worse than when I got the car. I thought for sure it would be. As I posted earlier, I had several things that were loose on the car that I thought would have been the cause. Unfortunately they were not so I'm really interested in the TSB.

I'm going to a large local Mustang meet & greet in 2 weeks. I'll ask the S197 owners if they have any thunking.
Old 04-06-2007, 12:48 AM
rls82959
3rd Gear Member

Jay,
That's good news on post 696. Mid May- Mid June. Hope that holds up.
I'll add the sig pic this time. Ain't she a pretty thunker.

Quick Reply: 2007 Front Suspension Thunking Noise