Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2007 Front Suspension Thunking Noise

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2007, 01:29 PM
acrokat
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: 2007 Front Suspension Thunking Noise

ORIGINAL: marcuskeeler

I just got back from the dealer here in Barrie, Ontario, with my car.
Their front-end-man swapped out the top mounts for the struts and also the sway bar drop links which were also worn (car has done under 7000 km).
I didn't really think the thunking was that bad on my car, but HOLY MOLY !!! This car didn't feel this tight when it was new !

Talk about "that new car feeling"

Thumbs up to Barrie Ford on this one ! if anybody is in the area and want to know who to speak to, go for the service guy "Ozzy Osbourne" (Seriously) and the front end guy who knows all about the thunking issue and who did my car was "Derek" who is also a big Mustangnut (Got a '69).

Oh, nearly forgot, ALL on warranty
/tearsofjoy
Old 08-03-2007, 02:28 PM
northy_polk
3rd Gear Member

FANTASTIC NEWS GUYS!!!! maybe i can get on the thunkless bandwagon. i was quiet for a while, but i think VIR did a number on the front end. . . but it was worth every second of rubber ripping thrillsatVIR North!!!!!!!!
Old 08-03-2007, 02:45 PM
acrokat
2nd Gear Member

Wolfey, Bascho:

Whatever you guys did to make the dealership agree, THANK YOU!

They have ordered the parts, they will be here Tuesday.

Old 08-03-2007, 07:58 PM
7upstang

My car went in this morning and sure enough. No more noise. It's like a new car. ALSO, I found out from the Ford tech that the Stangsupension mounts were installed wrong.

There is a second spacer involved with them that was not put in, on (you guessed it) the passenger side. So, the Stangsuspension mounts may very well cure the problem when not installed by a hack. ( For a change the hack wasn't me) My most sincere apologies to Stangsuspension for stating that therestrut mounts did not solve the problem, they very well may, and I am willing to go through this wholeordeal again in the hopes of proving their product.

I will take one for the team and have the Stang suspension mounts re-installed by the Ford guy about 4 weeks from now just to see if the problem is cured by them as well. He has said he will do it after hours for a lot cheaper. ( I want at least 4 weeks of thunk free driving beforeI do it though)

Peace
Old 08-04-2007, 12:41 AM
7upstang

"please remind me which ones to which you are referring. these? http://www.stangsuspension.com/store/comersus_viewitem.asp?idproduct=1207the steedas? which other ones are there besides OEM replacements? thanks "

Hey Northy,

It was these ones
http://www.stangsuspension.com/store...idproduct=1374

But if you read the post I made after you asked your question, I don't think it is the mounts. I think They didn't work because they were installed incorrectly.
Old 08-06-2007, 09:40 AM
acrokat
2nd Gear Member

It's confirmed! My parts come in on tuesday, under warranty.

The service guy mentioned that they had put this order unter a TSB. this of course peaked my interest so I started to probe. He wouldn't tell me which TSB he put it under claiming that he didnt know the details.

I'll have to get some more info on this when I take my car in.
Old 08-06-2007, 10:24 AM
richmod
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: acrokat

The service guy mentioned that they had put this order unter a TSB. this of course peaked my interest so I started to probe. He wouldn't tell me which TSB he put it under claiming that he didnt know the details.

PLEASE keep us updated on the possible TSB. You may also want to ask your service guy if it wasn't an SSM (special service message) instead of a TSB. Bascho mentionedearlier in this thread they they may be issuing an SSM on this. I'd love to KNOW that they did before I head to the dealer.
Old 08-06-2007, 10:51 AM
acrokat
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: richmod

ORIGINAL: acrokat

PLEASE keep us updated on the possible TSB. You may also want to ask your service guy if it wasn't an SSM (special service message) instead of a TSB. Bascho mentionedearlier in this thread they they may be issuing an SSM on this. I'd love to KNOW that they did before I head to the dealer.
I'll be sure to keep you all posted. When I heard him mention "TSB", he instantly had my full attention.
Old 08-06-2007, 10:56 AM
wolfey2k
4th Gear Member

Okay, let's nip this rumor in the budd right here.
There IS NO TSB for the thunk repair.
There are no updates on if or when it will be released. I emphaisize IF.
Since I have been following this situation closely, keeping in touch with Ford engineering via my service managers including today, the chances of a TSB being issued are slim.
Why?
Because Ford does not want the part being installed in every production Mustang just because the strut mount materials have been upgraded.
Most likely when Ford engineering's publishing debt. gets around to it, there will eventually be an SSM issued.
The SSM covers customer complaints only. That means if a customer brings their Mustang in with that specific complaint, the guys in service will look up the part, find it is available and as long as the car is still under warranty i.e. bumber to bumper, they will be allowed to replace the part at Ford's expense.
That's how it works and most likely this will be the case for some time yet if not for good!
Sorry for the bad news to those of you who have heavily modified front suspensions but you can always buy the parts and install them.

I do find it very interesting that acrocat's thunk was not heard by the night shift guys and left uncorrected. I guess they are deaf or dumb or maybe drunk orsomething ;-).
The night shift crew are guys that don't generally perform work other than oil changes and little stuff like that anyway per what I've been told.

However, he was told to ask for Jeff and have him take care of it because once my name is dropped, Jeff knows exactly what's going on and what to do about it. Once Jeff got wind of it, he jumped on it and is havingthe thunking problemcorrected under warranty with the new part just like I said it would be in the first place.

The idea was to make sure that somedull knowbestmickey mouse mech' didn't get his hands on the car and make a mess of things and cause unnecessary delays which is what happened. Anyway, Jeff and myself are on the job so acrocat's wheels will be thunkless by thisWednesday latest! Maybe Tuesday evening if he's lucky.

Shops are being flooded with requests to fix this problem. They appreciate the work but are also deluged with other work that mustbe done as well. Their ownvehicle purchasing customers come first. Outsiders have to wait a little while longer unfortunately. That's just the way it goes.

Anyway, don't waste your time worrying about when a TSB will be coming out. I doubt it will. There may not even be an SSM coming out.
Evidently the dealers, those in the know, are taking care of the problem just fine without it save those who wear blinders and think they know it all thereby causing unecessary hassles for customers.

You'll also find by reading the success stories in this thread that those who got their thunk fixed were pro-active and to that degree effective in keeping the confusion off the line so the job got done rightin a timely fashion!

Wolfey2k
Old 08-06-2007, 10:58 AM
marcuskeeler
5th Gear Member

I'll be sure to keep you all posted. When I heard him mention "TSB", he instantly had my full attention.
/Tearsofjoy

Quick Reply: 2007 Front Suspension Thunking Noise