Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust Question

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2006, 12:58 AM
KenMan911

Default Exhaust Question

I was wondering if someone could explain to me a good type of exhaust to get. I have read about: x-pipes, h-pipes, cat-back, axle-back, headers, long tubes...etc. But i don't really know what all of those things mean.

Any helpful explanations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 12-12-2006, 09:42 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

Default RE: Exhaust Question

It really is all about getting the exhaust gases out the side or back as fast as you can and with a sound sound to accompany it! The best way to accomplish this is to upgrade the exhaust whether it is with headers a x-pipe or mufflers. The bigger the opening and the less resistance you have on the exhaust side the faster the car will go. There are alot of other things going on as well but I think you get the idea. I like the magnaflow magna packs withno cats oan a x-pipe the long tube headers and you are set with maybe 15-25 RWHP after the mods ona normally aspirated engine. Ford does a great job with the factory headers as far as design and how well they spend exhaust gases. but they rust so quickly. Get everything je hot caoted with either ceramic or titainum and the gases are more condensed and move faster and less heat will build up in the engine bay! Less heat more power and cooler air intake temps means more HP!

[IMG]local://upfiles/54958/420B308286E6434AA3F8D444BFB726EB.jpg[/IMG]
Old 12-12-2006, 11:04 AM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

Ok, from the beginning.

Here is what your car has STOCK, going from the engine back to the rear bumper:

Manifolds, Midpipe (Factory version is an H-pipe), a pair of long pipes (over-axle tubes), then the mufflers.

Mufflers = Axle back. This is a SOUND mod that does not affect HP appreciably.

Mufflers + Overaxle Tubes = Cat Back. This is really no better than axle back. The overaxle tubes are good stock so there is no reason to replace them.

Midpipe = can either be an H design or an X design. This refers to how the piping looks. The X flows better, but some people prefer the slightly different sound of the H. Also, you can get versions with high-flow catalytic converters which are worth more HP than stock. Then there's the "off road" versions, which have no cats. This is not street legal, but offers even less flow restriction.

Headers are an upgrade for manifolds. The OEM manifolds are a cast-iron unit that joins the exhaust from all the exhaust ports into the midpipe. Headers are made of individual tubes that are welded together. Headers come in two kinds. Shorty and Longtube. Shorty headers are really no better than the OEM manifolds. Longtubes are "real" headers. These are worth about 15-25 HP over the stock setup becasuse they improve scavenging and also reduce flow restrictions.
Old 12-12-2006, 03:37 PM
mAnYsTyLeS
4th Gear Member

I wish CrazyAl lived next door to me...[&o]
Old 12-12-2006, 05:08 PM
2006GTSC
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mygt500

It really is all about getting the exhaust gases out the side or back as fast as you can and with a sound sound to accompany it! The best way to accomplish this is to upgrade the exhaust whether it is with headers a x-pipe or mufflers. The bigger the opening and the less resistance you have on the exhaust side the faster the car will go. There are alot of other things going on as well but I think you get the idea. I like the magnaflow magna packs withno cats oan a x-pipe the long tube headers and you are set with maybe 15-25 RWHP after the mods ona normally aspirated engine. Ford does a great job with the factory headers as far as design and how well they spend exhaust gases. but they rust so quickly. Get everything je hot caoted with either ceramic or titainum and the gases are more condensed and move faster and less heat will build up in the engine bay! Less heat more power and cooler air intake temps means more HP!

[IMG]local://upfiles/54958/420B308286E6434AA3F8D444BFB726EB.jpg[/IMG]
Thats what I have but with cats, not side exhaust tho. Really nice and mean. Oh yeah, and LOUD