Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question for supercharger owners

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2006, 06:51 PM
mikewillsmith
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Question for supercharger owners

ORIGINAL: Sherwood06GT

Huge difference in acceleration!!! HUGE difference. Very litte in MPG. I lost a 1 mpg in mileage when not in boost. IN boost it most likely is quite lower. Really eats the fuel when you get on it. But that is what it is all about. You don't get power without fuel. I am at 0-60 in about 4 seconds now. 40-80 is scary fast.

+ 1 to everything here.
I have a Saleen SC with upgrades and it transformed the car from very nice into exactly what I wanted. Only lost about 1 mpg in normal driving. Drives easy and you hardly know the SC is there until you get into it. I don't see any down side other than it cost a bit. But it was worth every penny, IMO.
Old 12-01-2006, 05:22 PM
billyjo
2nd Gear Member

thankyou all for your feed back and i look foward to putting one in. My next question is what is the best. is keene bell the best or saleen. Thanks and have a great day
Old 12-01-2006, 05:34 PM
zcat
2nd Gear Member

Man, are you trying to start an argument??? LOL!!! Really, this has been debated in depth. Twin Screw - Torque Monster right off idle! Centrifical - Top End Charge sort of like a Turbo but belt driven. We will all tell you the one we have is best and I have a Whipple so thats the best - really, no fooling
Oh yea, Theres also a roots type - do your homework and decide what kind of powerband you want than shop for the best deal cause they are all pretty good and they will all put a S.... Eating Grin on your face if installed correctly, if not installed correctly than you have ruined your car most likely[&o]
Old 12-01-2006, 06:33 PM
forensicsteve
4th Gear Member

The biggest question in s/c selection is "How do you plan to drive the car?". Daily drivers (like me) lean towards the twin-screws for the low-end torque. Drag racers (and dyno-sheet racers) tend to go Centi for the higher max hp.
Mine is a daily driver too but I chose a centri because the boost come on quite late. This means to me that I can drive around town in varying traffic conditions all day and not experience any boost at all. So as the above comment states, it really does depend on how and where you plan to drive the car. But with huge increases in hp and torque come traction and handling issues. Adding a S/C is just one part of the equation......Whatever you get.....have it dyno-tuned.
Old 12-02-2006, 12:23 PM
jacrockett
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: forensicsteve

The biggest question in s/c selection is "How do you plan to drive the car?". Daily drivers (like me) lean towards the twin-screws for the low-end torque. Drag racers (and dyno-sheet racers) tend to go Centi for the higher max hp.
Mine is a daily driver too but I chose a centri because the boost come on quite late. This means to me that I can drive around town in varying traffic conditions all day and not experience any boost at all. So as the above comment states, it really does depend on how and where you plan to drive the car. But with huge increases in hp and torque come traction and handling issues. Adding a S/C is just one part of the equation......Whatever you get.....have it dyno-tuned.

+1 on the dyno tune. NEVER trust a pre=set program. Every car is a little different, any you want a tune that exactly fits you.

As far as s/c type, I've had a KB and Whipple, both are the same technology, but I prefer Whipple. I was bothered by the amount of misleading hp information on the KB website.... do not believe you'll ever see those #'s on your car!
Old 12-02-2006, 02:19 PM
markj
1st Gear Member

If your serious right now Stage 3 is offering the Saleen with the upgrade kit for a pretty good price. I'm still fishing though. I'll get a price from one dealer and ask another to match it. The best price was the Haynes motorsports deal that was offered for members of this board. But I'm only a couple of hundred dollars away from it so I'll be going with a saleen soon.

I think all the twin screw blowers are good. But I've done more research on the saleen and I'm probably going to get the best deal on it. I'll do the install myself and go with the saleen tune just long enough to get me to the dyno for a really good conservative tune. My car is a daily driver in the spring though fall. I think the saleen, even with the upgrade, only puts about 7 pounds of boost which is pretty modest. The regular S/C w/o the upgrade only puts out about 4-5 pounds wich is pretty gentile but won't give you the same kick in the pants. Another nice thing about the Saleen with the upgrade kit is that it's complete and you don't have to do more mods to you car. Mods will help get more power but you don't need to. After investing in the S/C I don't think the little lady will let me get away with buying more mods. For a while that is.

I have only heard three complaints about the saleen.
1. Some have claimed that the Saleen can cause clearance issues with the hood. This only seems to be the case for a few because many other folks have not had that problem. The fix is a new hood or aftermarket motor mounts.
2. I have also heard that the saleen can be a little noisier than some.
3. Thirdly I've heard the Saleen tune isn't that great. You have to send them your computer and they will put in a tune and send it back. But this is solved by getting a good dyno tune.

Old 12-02-2006, 03:37 PM
danam
2nd Gear Member

What have you heard about the Roush Charger for 05-07?
P.S. Can we get some more pics of your girl?
Old 12-02-2006, 04:58 PM
markj
1st Gear Member

I’m not too familiar with the Roush setup. The local dealership by me has the Roush cars including the 427. They are nice looking cars for sure. One of the salesmen opened up the hood to let me check out the setup and it's really looks slick. However some have said that bang-for-the-buck wise the Saleen with the upgrade is a better deal. The Roush is putting 427 at the crank while the Saleen is getting up there close to 500(at the crank that is). There was also a thread somewhere here reviewing the unit, stating that the RWHP numbers were a little dissapointing but that could be due to the tune.

I have heard Roush warranties the unit for 30k or something like that. But that warrantee is factored into the price of the blower. The dealership quoted me just shy of 6k to install one. Not too bad but I can get a Saleen for a grand less and put out close to 75hp more so it seems worth it. But having said that, the Roush is a nice looking setup and obviously is very reliable. If you wanted a reliable S/C car with dealer support it might be the way to go. I'm sure you could negotiate the price too just like anything else from a dealer

I’ll see if I can get another pic of the GF with the car. I have to get approval for what pics I post in order to keep her support for the mustang upgrades. LOL. [sm=lildevil.gif]
Old 12-02-2006, 05:28 PM
zcat
2nd Gear Member

LOL - don't get momma mad Mark, it sounds like you got a good thing going if she supports your "addiction" to Pony Power!
I don't think you really could go wrong with any of the big name blowers if the install and the tune are performed correctly. The Roush certainly looks factory, but then so does the Whipple, right down to the blue oval on the blower side!
All this being said it goes back to what type of powerband you desire. If you wish your Stang came with a 427 under the hood, than you want a twin screw as thats is what it feels like. Can you say TORQUE CITY! I have 400 pounds of torque at 3200 RPM and it goes up some from there to a peak of 433 RWTQ, the curve looks like a small hump so I have boost pretty much instantly anytime, anywhere, any RPM! As the post above stated, traction can be an issue if your not carefull, but its not that hard to control under most circumstances and I would rather have that problem than to be waitting for the boost to come on. The flip side is that the power comes on in with a centrifical in a big rush (sort of like a big cammed motor on steroids) and that can be alot of fun too. Sounds like your getting the Saleen which I'm sure will satisfy your needs as it looks like a great blower too and you can't dispute thier reputation. Install and tune will make the biggest difference - don't cut corners at this point cause you usually get what you pay for