Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Automatic Transmission question

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2006, 07:58 PM
Rupp
3rd Gear Member

Default Automatic Transmission question

Guys,
I always back into parking spots on the edge of the parking lots and when stopping and putting the car into reverse it sometimes takes several seconds (2-4) for the reverse to engage. Any of you guys experience this? Are there any TSB's on this?
Old 12-01-2006, 08:32 PM
TPony
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Automatic Transmission question

I've had my auto for about 7 months and have not noticed the delay. So, nope..I don't have that problem.
Old 12-01-2006, 09:01 PM
DoctorQ
2nd Gear Member

I've got a 2006GT auto... no delay engaging; however I do get a semi-loud metallic clunk when shifting in/out of Park
Old 12-01-2006, 09:04 PM
Archion
4th Gear Member

two possible reasons that I can think of, with the trans being fully electronically controlled, If the car is still sensing that you are in motion, it will not let the trans into the oppisite direction until it is safe. The other reason is you are low/leaking fluid, Take it to the dealer and have it checked, it is a "sealed" unit and has no dipstick. You cannot add fluid with out a special adapter nipple.
Old 12-01-2006, 09:07 PM
daliab

I have a 2006 GT - 6 months. No problems. You might want to check the auto trans fluid level.
Old 12-01-2006, 09:11 PM
mAnYsTyLeS
4th Gear Member

+1

ORIGINAL: Archion

with the trans being fully electronically controlled, If the car is still sensing that you are in motion, it will not let the trans into the oppisite direction until it is safe. .
Old 12-01-2006, 09:12 PM
mAnYsTyLeS
4th Gear Member

+2

ORIGINAL: DoctorQ

I've got a 2006GT auto... no delay engaging; however I do get a semi-loud metallic clunk when shifting in/out of Park
Old 12-01-2006, 09:33 PM
Archion
4th Gear Member

That would be the machanical parking pawl disengaging, you must be parking on some kind of incline in either direction, it is normal, but if you want to avoid it use the e-brake

Old 12-02-2006, 12:03 AM
06GT4RAD
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Archion

That would be the machanical parking pawl disengaging, you must be parking on some kind of incline in either direction, it is normal, but if you want to avoid it use the e-brake

Yes and if you do this long enough the parking pawl will break. I would suggest when you come to a stop in the place you wish to park put the car in neutral then set the parking brake and release the foot brake then put the car into park. This take the stress off the transmission parking pawl. Also if you park on a steep enough incline and simply throw the car in park without setting the parking brake there is a great possibility that you will not even be able to get the car out of park. I have seen it to many times.Take the simple steps i stated above to help prolong the life of your transmission

Richard
Old 12-02-2006, 12:11 AM
bl1nk
5th Gear Member

I do not park on an incline yet I still hear that sound when disengaging Park.. is there another reason it would sound like that other than inclined parking?

Quick Reply: Automatic Transmission question