Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Warranty Coverage

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2006, 03:14 PM
shaners90lxhatch
3rd Gear Member

Default Warranty Coverage

I am sure all of you are sick of reading my posts in regards to what may/may not be covered under your factory warranty. Honestly, I'm kinda sick of explaining this but I do it because I care about honest people paying consequences they were unaware of. I see people buy engines and transmissions every day because of modifications. The guy with a screw in #8 from a CAI is a perfect example of why I am posting this topic once again. I am going to say what I have to say and I am not going to argue with everyone's concept of burden of proof, one-off exceptions, lemon laws, misbuilds, Ford parts that can void warranty and so on.
ANY modification from ANY manufacturer installed by ANY individual that is in ANY way attributable to the component failure can and likely will prevent warranty coverage of that repair. If Ford identifies your vehicle as one that has ever been modified or is currently modified, it will be flagged and you could potentially loose coverage should a related component fail. Typically any base engine failure other than a dropped valve can be related to: PCM modifications, nitrous, forced induction, aftermarket injectors, et cetera. Any vehicle that is performance based (anything SVT, mustangs, lightnings, the GT, cobras) will very likely have an independent inspector sent to determine if the vehicle is modified or if the dealer is making crap up. Your warranty protects you from FACTORY DEFECTS and rightfully the manufacturer will try to prevent honoring claims that are not the result of such. Such paid claims are part of the reason why this subject is so controversial.
A CAI cannot be attributed to a spun bearing but it can be related to foreign object injestion. A tune cannot be related to FOD but it can be related to a spun bearing because it allows for higher engine speeds. YES Ford must have justification for situations like this but they do NOT need to prove that the engine spun a bearing at 9000rpm to kick your claim. There are cases of people winning lawsuits with obvious failures due to modifications but like any large corporation (see taco bell in the news lately?) will settle if it is more cost effective than fighting the case. You should consider this if your legal fees will exceed the cost of your engine. Don't be the guy who pisses off the judge and crowds up the courts keeping honest people waiting for their chance over your unwillingness to being held accountable for your actions. MOD YOUR CAR IF YOU WANT TO! BUT, read carefully, ask probing questions and be aware of the consequences for such actions. Be prepared to get burned if you want to put your hand on the stove.

I come on this forum not as a Ford employee (I am actually contracted for Ford) but rather as a regular car loving mustang owner that cares about other like individuals. I don't want you printing my comments and starting a rash of crap with your rep or dealer because this is not the area I work in and am technically stepping out of my realm of expertise. I give technical advice to DEALERS only and may get in trouble sharing information with you guys, but I just don't feel morally sound asking for advice without giving any in return. I want to share info I think you may value to prevent you from loosing your shirt if you didn't know things like modification warranty coverages.
Old 12-12-2006, 03:35 PM
mattblasi
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Warranty Coverage

Another thing to consider and of course read fully into is that more and more parts and modifications manufacturers are putting warranties on the parts that would otherwise loose the Manufacturers warranty. Examples of this can be seen from Roush, MagnaCharger, and Lingenfelter that I know of for a fact put 3yr 36K mi warranties on the entire power train but it seems that more and more the manufacturers are doing this. It makes sense really since the thing that holds many up from moding a new car is the warranty, thus removing them from the performance parts market.

Again like said above you should read into everything from them and know the procedures for claims.
Old 12-12-2006, 05:29 PM
06gt5spd
2nd Gear Member

Very good info!!

I would think it would be known that if you don't want to have any trouble w/ warranty - then not to modify your car. Seems pretty simple to me, if you modify your car and it breaks something - it's most likely due to the change or the way you drive it!
Old 12-12-2006, 09:36 PM
StowesStang
4th Gear Member

However, if you purchase performance parts from an authorized SVT Ford dealership and Ford service installs the "performance" part then, "yes", it could be replaced or repaired under warranty unless neglegence was determined. Other then my rims, I am going to stick with as much FRPP as possible and be extremely cautious with after market performance parts. Unfortunately, FRPP does not have "all" the goodies yet so we dont have much selection in that area. Fortunately for me, hubby is a heavy line Ford tech so I have the advantage of getting great advice (and sometimes a foot in my ***) when I start shopping for parts!! lol

Just my input on the matter.