Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FOR ALL THOSE CONSIDERING 20'S...

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2006, 11:22 PM
06GT4RAD
5th Gear Member

Default RE: FOR ALL THOSE CONSIDERING 20'S...

ORIGINAL: 05SDI

ORIGINAL: 06GT4RAD
I am going to have sex with my wife again tonight. Last nights was just average so like 05SDI said i must try for that Best Performance.
Richard
hmmm What does you wife think of your support of single moms! lol! [8D]
05SDI
She encourages it and supports it also. She is a great Woman and undersatnd men are men and we need to admire other woman. I do not cheat on her and never have and never will but she knows it doesnt hurt to look and enjoy the lovely sights that other woman are. Hell she enjoys a good looking woman almost as much as i do.

Richard
Old 12-22-2006, 11:27 PM
jay0heavenly
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: CrazyAl

Very good comment about the appearance. If you are happy with the overall package (looks, performance, whatever) who cares what us gearheads are arguing about!

But I will point out that all the serious race guys swap out the stock rims for 15" wheels for the weight savings and the sidewall flex.
Agreed[8D], but Al you know like I know that some people on the MF act like its the worst thing in the world to run 20's on the street, just cuz they are old school and hate the look. I really appreciate youcuz even though they're notyour taste, you don't bash them.Some people grossly exaggerate the negative aspects. When I go to the drag strip I will NEVER run 20's cuz they would probably cost me 2 tenths or more, but on the street when everybody is fully inflated, I'll still crush most people, and I'm saving for the turboand forged internals so WATCH OUT for the kid!
Old 12-23-2006, 01:33 PM
05SDI
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jay0heavenly

Very good comment about the appearance. If you are happy with the overall package (looks, performance, whatever) who cares what us gearheads are arguing about!

But I will point out that all the serious race guys swap out the stock rims for 15" wheels for the weight savings and the sidewall flex.
Agreed[8D], but Al you know like I know that some people on the MF act like its the worst thing in the world to run 20's on the street, just cuz they are old school and hate the look. I really appreciate youcuz even though they're notyour taste, you don't bash them.Some people grossly exaggerate the negative aspects. When I go to the drag strip I will NEVER run 20's cuz they would probably cost me 2 tenths or more, but on the street when everybody is fully inflated, I'll still crush most people, and I'm saving for the turboand forged internals so WATCH OUT for the kid!

Well said!! CrazyAl brings very good facts with opinions, but appears to have an open mind even though 20" rims don't seem to be in his tastes. And for that I toast him! [sm=icon_cheers.gif][sm=partyparty.gif]It's all good and I enjoy the passion it seems we each have for our cars.
05SDI
Old 12-23-2006, 02:33 PM
06GT4RAD
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jay0heavenly

Ain't that the truth.

Richard
Old 12-23-2006, 07:18 PM
stangoil
2nd Gear Member

Ilove my 20"s but can't hook up under full power hope the 17"' mickeys drag slicks will for track
ADVAN SPORT AND CANT HOOK-UP

[IMG]local://upfiles/52448/D0B15FF7CB9E4B75A8BEC95CFD45CF15.jpg[/IMG]
Old 12-24-2006, 08:49 AM
xel

Yes, in these examples the circumferance of the tire tread is about the same (or so close it doesn't matter).

That's not the issue at hand here. The issue is at what radius is the main weight of the WHEEL being carried.

Let's imagine that a rim is made of two parts: A solid "disc",representing the part of the rim that you see (With the spokes and all that), that bolts to the axle. The second part is a hollow "tube" or ring--this is the part that the tire is fit over.

Now, compare a 20 and an 18. The 20 has a 20" diameter disc. The 18 has an 18" diameter disc. The 20 has a ring that is just under 20" in diameter. The 18 has a ring that is slightly under 18".

Inertia equals the summation ofradius times mass. If our two wheels weigh the same (same mass), the 20" still has more inertia becasue its radius is larger. It has the same mass, but that mass is located (on average) farther away from the centerline of the wheel.

This is stuff from high school physics, people.
I gotta backup Al's rationale on this. When thinking about your RW torque output, torque = radius x force. Now two things happen here when you change wheels: 1) radius may increase or decrease, and 2) weight distribution alters. If you increase the net radius of your leverage (which is half the diameter of your wheel plus tire), then you reduce the force your wheels apply to the pavement. At the same time, your wheels and tires carry mass, mostly located at the outermost point of the rim. This mass saps your torque, which reduces the total force applied to the road.

Now seeing as larger rims will likely be accompanied by thinner tires, radius shouldn't change much, if at all. The biggest concern here is the distribution of mass at the rim. If your 20" is lighter than the 18", then it's possible that they don't require additional force to rotate the wheels. My guess, though, is that the stocks carry that extra weight near the center, so you are losing some force on the road. Enough to be noticeable while driving? Probably not. You can always take it to a dyno to see exactly what you lose with a wheel upgrade.