Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

is this normal?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2006, 09:40 AM
GT2006am

Default RE: is this normal?

Didn't see your post and just posted my own (titled Hood Jump) describing much the same thing. I think I'm going to see what the dealer says. Starts at 65 and up around 100 it's far worse. You would think that the air over the hood would keep it pinned down - but it seems like the air-flow under the hood is almost greater at speed?

Alan
Old 12-27-2006, 10:47 AM
fairlane292
5th Gear Member

Yeah, let us know what the dealer says.

Thanks.
Old 12-27-2006, 11:34 AM
stangster06
I ♥ Acer

fairlane - thanks for input on this. Can you please expalin what rtv silicone is and how you used it to test contact?

Sounds like GT2006am tried to adjust them with some success. Another suggestion was adjusting the latch/catch. I would think the dealer needs to do this.

GT2006am - I am very curious about what the dealer says/does - please let us know if you take it in.

Thanks
Old 12-27-2006, 12:07 PM
2oo5stang
3rd Gear Member

wow, i would definitely take it in and see what they say. I know if you get an aftermarket hood, hood pins are the answer. i've seen to many times, happened to a friend too, where they put aftermarket hoods on and popped up hit the windshield. My 95 GT, had the Cobra R ram air hood and i was driving it and it popped up like i pulled the latch so i quickly pulled over and pushed it back down, when i got home i ordered hood pins and it never happend again.

Good luck with it and dealing with Ford to hopefully fix it
Old 12-27-2006, 02:00 PM
fairlane292
5th Gear Member

RTV high temperature silicone comes in a tube at any local auto parts store.(comes in several colors: red, black, blue, grey, etc) Using as a marking film is just an easy way to see if contact is being made, in this case between the 4 rubber stops and the hood. Get a color that is distinctive from your car color, spread a thin film across the top of the rubber stop, shut the hood, open and see if any of the silicone is on the hood. From what you see on the hood you can tell what kind of contact is being made. Easy to cleanup, wipe away and run several tests until you are happy with the results.

Old 12-27-2006, 02:05 PM
wcgman
5th Gear Member

Fairlane has the right idea but instead of running to the parts store I used an old carpenters trick. I stole an old tube of lipstick from my wife and used that. I was able to adjust the stops easily after that. I had to adjust mine because I installed the hood struts which then required me to slightly adjust and realign the hood.
Old 12-27-2006, 02:39 PM
fairlane292
5th Gear Member

Fairlane has the right idea but instead of running to the parts store I used an old carpenters trick. I stole an old tube of lipstick from my wife and used that.
I did that once and she left me (lol), so now I have RTV on hand :-)
Old 12-27-2006, 04:54 PM
stangster06
I ♥ Acer

Thanks for the help guys. The lipstick sounds good but I'll also look into the silicone. This sounds like a good test to do before taking to the dealer. Regards.
Old 12-27-2006, 06:12 PM
fairlane292
5th Gear Member

Thanks for the help guys. The lipstick sounds good but I'll also look into the silicone. This sounds like a good test to do before taking to the dealer. Regards.
Yeah, this is a simple test and you want to knowfirsthand, if these stops are properly adjusted anyway. ...before talking to the dealer.

I am paranoid about a service rep shutting my hood. Some people still push down on hoods to shut them. I can ill afford a "dented" custom painted hood; even if it is their fault. When I go in for my first service there will be a sign on my dash "DO NOT PUSH DOWN ON HOOD TO CLOSE" If they are insulted that's too bad. To shut mine I simply drop from about 12" up and it shuts nicely. (If I loosened the stops so they don't contact I could drop from about 4-5" to close) ...this might give you an idea how tight mine is. As I indicated a brief cruise up to 105 for a bit, then back down showed no signs of movement in the hood. I don't have a track around here to race and don't run those speeds on the streets anyway, but it's good to know the thing is snug.
Old 12-27-2006, 08:34 PM
xbone
3rd Gear Member

How come hood pins are not the solution? Hood aint comin off with pins! I dont think this is a defect, its justa big lightweight hood. Mustangs have always had this problem, why do you think Shelby put pins on them back in 66?

Quick Reply: is this normal?