Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hood Jump

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2006, 01:33 PM
wingman75
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Hood Jump

I've been driving many years (don't ask) and have driven many cars from many manufacturers and I can tell you from experience, this is not unusual. Depending on conditions I would bet all cars hoods will flex and/or shake somewhat, the ones I've driven did. There is a lot of wind force trying to lift the hood and its only held in place in three locations. The two hinges and the front latch. Its only resting on the hood stops so the stronger the wind the more likely it will lift and flex it. When you pass a semi at speed you will most likely encounter this.

If your latch is secure you should have no fear. To ease your fears check the tightness of these connections now and then.

2k05gt, I have a factory hood scoop and I most definately have hood shake at highway speeds. It just doesn't bother me.
Old 12-27-2006, 05:15 PM
stangster06
I ♥ Acer

bascho - thanks for the tips on the adjustments. I've read about this on the forum with vaying degrees of success reported. It's definitely the place to start though.

2ko5gt - That is really interesting that a hood scopp helps reduce the shake. I've been debating the Roush scoop but have kind of held off because I thought it would make the shake/felx worse - glad to know.
Old 12-27-2006, 06:49 PM
Stone
2nd Gear Member

Agreed I have been over 145 a few times and always smooth as glass before and after I added the hood struts so it's not an aluminum hood problem and have heard most fixed by adjusting the hood stops or dropping it closed from a foot up so if none of that has worked for you check and make sure that the hood hinge bolts are snug.
Old 12-27-2006, 11:48 PM
xbone
3rd Gear Member

How are you getting over 145? Mine stops at 140 with the same basic setup as yours.
Old 12-27-2006, 11:58 PM
Riggs007
2nd Gear Member

I thought the hood shake came standard on the new mustangs?
Old 12-28-2006, 12:01 AM
gordonE9

Hi All,
Thought I'd add my thoughts/concerns on this subject. My 07 GT does the same thing at speeds above 70mph; worse driving into stiff winds, a common occurance here in central Texas. I too have driven for a lot of years, (over 40yrs), this being the 26th car that I've bought new. That includes more that 10yrs driving on German Autobahns at 100mph+ for extended periods. With the exception of a couple of late 60's and early 70's Muscle Cars, I have never had the issue with hood shake/vibration that I experience with this Mustang. I've done the hood stop adjustments with some success; but the problem remains. It goes in Friday for the 5000 check, and that is one of the issues that the service manager has been made aware of. On the subject of hood pins; when I wrote the check for this car I had a reasonable expectation that I would not have to drill holes in the hood and install something from my 60's Road Runner just to keep the hood in place. It's obviously a design flaw in an otherwise great car/fantastic performance value; and it needs to be addressed by Ford Mtrs. Thanks for keeping the issue on the front burner. All of you have a great New Year....CSM
Old 12-28-2006, 01:01 PM
stangster06
I ♥ Acer

gordonE9 - Welcome and thanks for confirming that this is a real issue. I had an 06 GT with no hood flex and traded for an 06 GT convertible and it has the shake at 70+ or so. So it is not something that happens with all new Mustangs - I also have friends and others on this forum that do not have the problem. Glad to see others feel the same way and don't just feel hood pins are the answer.I could undrstand that on an aftermarket hood but not stock. I really like the car (and actually like the look of hood pins) but I would like it to be an option not a necessity. If so, Ford should pay for them if that is the only way to get it fixed. Always curious to hear experiences from people that have taken it to the dealer for this and what their response or explanation is.Thanks again.
Old 12-28-2006, 04:12 PM
billb60

I too had same problem but only on drivers side. The cure was two fold. Frist, adjust stops to make hood flush. Next, adjust lock to pull hood down and to the left. You may have to go back and readjust stops.
Old 12-28-2006, 04:17 PM
stangster06
I ♥ Acer

billb60 - sorry if this is a simple question but what lock are you refering to and how do you adjust it as yu said? Is it the latch?

Thanks for any details.
Old 12-28-2006, 04:24 PM
Caution
5th Gear Member

I have mine in the dealership now getting looked at for the hood shake. I was at the track on Dec 2 and there was a nasty headwind the whole day... my hood was all over the dam place. Going back to the track next month and didn't want to risk the hood snappin open. We'll see what Ford says about it.

Quick Reply: Hood Jump