Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hood Jump

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2006, 08:07 AM
GT2006am

Default Hood Jump

Hi All, My 06 GT seems to have issues with the hood vibrating and bouncing at speeds over 60. You can see the mid section (the most forward part of the hood that you can see from inside because of the drop-curve of the hood) and rear (right in front of the winshield) bouncing around in from the air turbulence.

The body line and gap spacingappear all right when you inspect the car at a stop. I can minimizethe problemby extending the adjustment on the hood stops at the front of the hood further (they're snug now), and that helps quite a bit but in order to make much ofa difference you need to extend them high enough so that it very slightly brings the hood above the intended body line (we're talking less than an eigth of an inch - but you shouldn't have to extend above the body line).

Wondering if anyone else has experienced this, and what they've done? Was considering gas struts - but wasn't sure that would cure it. Also considering adding additional hood stops along the edges (like the ones on the front).

Thanx, Alan
Old 12-27-2006, 10:19 AM
jbailer
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Hood Jump

Alan,

When I first started reading this, my first reaction was to recommend you adjust the hood stops but you've already done that. That is usually what solves the problem. I'm wondering it your catch needs to be adjusted down a little. You might want to try that. -Joe
Old 12-27-2006, 10:30 AM
xbone
3rd Gear Member

Take it over 130 and it looks like a belly dancer. Get hood pins, I am.
Old 12-27-2006, 10:48 AM
6xStang
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jbailer

Alan,

When I first started reading this, my first reaction was to recommend you adjust the hood stops but you've already done that. That is usually what solves the problem. I'm wondering it your catch needs to be adjusted down a little. You might want to try that. -Joe
+1
Old 12-27-2006, 11:23 AM
stangster06
I ♥ Acer

See post by Jaime Hurtem (and many others).

This is a defect in some cars - some cars do not have the problem at all. I wish I had checked it when I test drove it but wasn't aware. You should not have to put hood pins on a new car with a stock hood. If so, Ford should pay for them.

jbailer - how do you adjust the catch?

With all the complaints about this, I have yet to hear from someone who took it to the dealer and it was fixed. It's kind of scary.
Old 12-27-2006, 12:18 PM
grabberorange1
3rd Gear Member

Make sure you let the hood "drop" out of your hands when closing (let it slam shut), and not set the hood down on latchand close gently...I had mine popopenat 105mph. Not a fun experience.
Old 12-27-2006, 12:31 PM
bascho
3rd Gear Member

I have a feeling that this is the first car with an aluminum hood for some of you. I owned a 2005 RX8 and a 2002 Lincoln LS and both had aluminum hoods......and both had hood shake. It's the one downside to having a hood that is so light. I assure you that the latch is not going to fail....just make sure you close the hood completely.
Old 12-27-2006, 12:44 PM
stangster06
I ♥ Acer

Bascho - If it was the aluminum hood then all new mustangs would have the hood shake. I know there are some people who claim they don't get it even at high speeds with their cars - it must be another factor... Any expalnation for this? Thanks.

BTW - Grabberorange - your hood actually flew open? Others have said it shakes but won't open. Sounds scary.
Old 12-27-2006, 12:52 PM
bascho
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: stangster06

Bascho - If it was the aluminum hood then all new mustangs would have the hood shake. I know there are some people who claim they don't get it even at high speeds with their cars - it must be another factor... Any expalnation for this? Thanks.
I think the difference is the hood stop adjustment. Each stop is installed by hand and adjusted by hand at the plant. The stop is adjusted on a stationary car so hood shake at hwy speeds is not accounted for. The hood stops are adjustable for a reason.....adjust them. Somepeople are afraid to touch anything under the hood and expect a machine as complex as an automobile tobe perfect. When I bought my car it had somehood shake at hwy speeds. I adjusted my stops and now I have virtually no shake until 100mph......even then it's barely noticable.

If your dealer is unable to repair your car to your satisfaction.....then you need to report them to Ford and find a better dealer. Adjusting the hood stops is definitely something you can do in the driveway in a matter of minutes.
Old 12-27-2006, 01:29 PM
2k05gt
4th Gear Member

I have talked to alot of people and they all have the same concern, I have noticed that hoods with hood scoops or other bolt on ornaments tend to minimize the hood dance.

After I installed my roush hood scoop I have not had this issue. I have had my car up to 141 MPH with no waving. (abandend road no traffic on it)

[IMG]local://upfiles/25187/1B0F156CE9BA480F9E966E4854E59B9E.jpg[/IMG]

Quick Reply: Hood Jump