Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hood scoops - thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2007, 02:13 AM
Humboldt Stang
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Hood scoops - thoughts?

Just the fact that they are not functional doesn't make them ricey, imho.
Ford has for years put cosmetic mods on the Stang.
If it looks good, do it.
Old 01-03-2007, 02:29 AM
WhiteStallion06
4th Gear Member

Its part of the car so why would it be rice?
Theres nothing rice about a mustang

But i do agree i actually have a hood scoop sitting in my room but i wont put it on for that reason so im just going to sell it

I mean they do look cool but its not functional.... the cervini ram air hood is functional but isnt the best looking IMO but our car dont really need a functional hood i mean i understand with the ls1 set up on the camaros and trans ams ... they need a functional ram air hood but our cars are set up diffferently and even with the shaker there hasnt been many significant gains produced by that ... or any that ive seen

If you like it and it looks good to you put it on ... dontnotdo it because of other people
Old 01-03-2007, 02:59 AM
ullmustang

I agree. If you like it, then put it on. I don't have one, but I personally do like them. The only reason I don't have one is I don't know if I want to spend the money on one. I just put on the GT front end with fogs and I love it. I am sure many people would consider that uncool, but I still love it even if it is uncool.

The yellow Mustang on the cover of the 2007 brochure has a non-functioning hood scoop and it looks great. If I am not mistaken, there are thousands of Mustangs out there with the non-functioning side scoops behind the doors as well. Plus just about everyone has a spoiler on the back and I highly doubt if creates any down draft to make it functioning (in fact if probably just creates wind resistance and weight to slow the car down).

If anyone has a hood scoop already painted in redfire metallic with a similar look to the stock one available on the 2007 and wants to sell it cheap, PM me.

Thanks.
Old 01-03-2007, 11:13 AM
jerseystang07
4th Gear Member

You just gotta cut a hole in the hood where the scoop will fit and then it will be functional
Old 01-03-2007, 11:28 AM
xbone
3rd Gear Member

Why add the air drag to your car if its just cosmetic? Anybody with one notice more airflow noise?
Old 01-03-2007, 11:35 AM
Humboldt Stang
3rd Gear Member

The '04's have a fake hood inlet, fake side scoops....the '05+ has a fake gas cap, and now the '07's have a fake hood scoop option.
In the rainy *** area I live in, a functional hood scoop would mean too much water in the engine bay, leaving my car.....unfunctional.
I have a non-functional "Eject" button in my dash..........damn I wish I could fix that.

Old 01-03-2007, 12:01 PM
LBJay
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: chirostang

fake=rice
My daughter calls them "taters" (more American)

Potato = tuber = A rounded projection or swelling.

I see them as no different than all the import tack-ons commonly referred to as "rice". Totally non functional and are there only to give a false performance image.

No different than this to me...
Old 01-03-2007, 12:47 PM
Ragnar
1st Gear Member

Please do not take any offense as we're all entitled to our opinions...and this forum is loaded with them, which makes it great. But, I believe there is no such thing as a functional hood. Or I could argue all hoods (scoops included)are functional. I'll explain.

Hoods are not functional: The ram air hoods and cowl induction hoods are not really runctional. Yes they let cool air in. But that air is not really having any effect on the performance of the car. At best I have seen ram air add 5 hp and that's really within a margin of error for hp ratings. It may not even add additional cold air that would benefit your car more than the cold air it's already getting thru the stock air filter or a CAI kit. It's marketing hype guys. Maybe those who drag race can make a legitimate claim of some benefit, especially when they're trying to squeeze another tenth of a second out of their car. But the rest of us on the streets see no real gains. "Fucntional" hoods are very expensive. $800 for a hood, plus $500+ for fit and finish. So a $1,300+ mod for what? Seems like it boils down to looks rather than functionality.

All hoods are functional: Why do we dismiss the effect a hood has on the appearance of the car as being non-functional? Hell, the whole idea of spoilers, side scoops, louvers, etc. is done less for functionality and more for appearance. It makes your car look fast, cool, or whatever. That to me could be considered functional.

We all own one of the coolest looking, and best performing cars for the money. But there are lots of cars that perform as well as or better than the Mustang...and they cost about the same. So I venture to say our infatuation with this car is for its looks. Let's not discount the importance of looks.

The bottom line: If the look your shooting for comes in the form of a hood replacement, go for it. It it comes in the form of a hood scoop, that's should be cool too.
Old 01-03-2007, 02:16 PM
leo_06gt
2nd Gear Member

Get a Shaker.
Old 01-03-2007, 02:25 PM
Caution
5th Gear Member

If you like it then do it -- it's your car... needs to be your personality. I like them but would rather just buy a new functional hood. If you get onr then post pics with the stripes.

Quick Reply: Hood scoops - thoughts?