Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Paint on '07

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2007, 10:31 PM
BHRS
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Paint on '07

Could the problem be overspray? Was the car in an accident and the dealer "touched it up"?

My '07 was smooth as glass when I picked it up from the dealer with little to no "orange peel" in the paint. Take the advice from others and use the clay bar.

Good Luck!!!
Old 01-04-2007, 10:42 PM
jim01028
2nd Gear Member

do a google search for clay bars and also automobile detailing. there is a ton of info for getting your paint looking great and feeling smooth.
Old 01-04-2007, 10:44 PM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

Meguiars makes a great clay bar as well. It even helps get paint overspray out as well!
Old 01-04-2007, 10:55 PM
Ragnar
1st Gear Member

My Mustang's finish was smooth, but I still clayed it before waxing. But I bought a Malibu that sat on the lot for several months and has tons of rail dust on it. I bought the Mother's clay bar and wax kit. Just follow the directions. I had to clay the car twice, washing in between. But now it's as smooth as my Mustang. If that doesn't work then talk to the dealership. Claying is as easy as waxing so have no fear.
Old 01-04-2007, 11:14 PM
Sprzout
4th Gear Member

I had the same problem on my last new car...Turns out it was just really bad detailing done at the dealership.

As everyone else says, clay it. Dawn dishwashing soap is ok, but keep in mind it's meant to remove grease & oils, and will also strip wax off of a car. Don't use it every single time, unless you plan to wax every single time you wash the car, though.
Old 01-04-2007, 11:38 PM
fairlane292
5th Gear Member

Are the top surfaces rough and the sides smooth?
Are all three top surfaces the same in terms of roughness? Top of front and rear bumpers?

As far as clay bar, I would recommend working a section that apears to be about the worst and is not that conspicuous. If the clay bar doesn't correct this section there is no point in doing the whole car.

If you cannot easily correct it andI'm assuming the car finsh is not as smooth as other cars on the lot, the dealer has to make it right. I would rather see a prof detail shop correct it than the dealer. There is nothing wrong with the metallic. The base color is thin and well beneath the clearcoat. If the clay bar does not correct the issue the clearcoat needs to be rotary buffed by a professional. If the clear is really rough in places they will sand those with #2500 or #3000 grit first. I only let this detailer that does high end cars do mine (once or twice a year). You only have so much clearcoat to work with and I just don't trust a mystery person at a dealership removing what minimal clear these cars have.

Sorry, but I've never heard of this on a new car; any make. I don't believe you are imagining this; just remember there is a cause for the sub par finish you are seeing; may or may not find out what that cause was. Have to be careful about the solution now. ..good luck man!
Old 01-04-2007, 11:55 PM
PennState
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jerseystang07

I don't know mine is smooth as the day I got it.
same!
Old 01-05-2007, 11:30 PM
67ownr

THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU!

Thanks to all who advised me to clay my car. I have never seen a better finish. It took quite awhile to do and then to wax and polish the entire car but it was sooooo worth it. I did the windshield too and I couldn't believe the garbage that came off of it. Hek, I couldn't believe that crap that came off of the new car finish.

Thanks again,
-67ownr
Old 01-05-2007, 11:35 PM
Stickman81
2nd Gear Member

Congratulations.
Now, show some pics.
Old 01-06-2007, 01:11 AM
06GT4RAD
5th Gear Member

Most likely this is raildust and/or industrial fallout. My car was covered in this stuff when i got it. Usually the dealer will take car of it when the car comes off the truck and goes threw the inspection process. On mine however i gave strict orders for them not to wash my car or for that matter remove any of the plastic shipping material. I did not want there hacks screwing may pain up. So when they got my car off the truck they called me and said we need to check all fluids and take it on the test drive are you sure you do not want us to wash it. I again told them leave it alone. So when i got it home I removed all wrapping and then washed it. The cars finish was terrible. Not only did it have the rail dust and industrial fallout all over it but at the factory they apparently buffed out some flaws and left holograms in the finish. So i had to clay the entire car and then remove all the paint defects. So it is possible for the cars finish to be jacked up upon delivery and even arrival to the dealership. Normally they would have tried to take care of all the things i did myself. But i am kind of **** about my car care and did not trust the detailers at the dealership.

Richard

Quick Reply: Paint on '07