Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

auto shifter

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2007, 12:35 AM
jbailer
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: auto shifter

ORIGINAL: bboren

hmm, may i ask what exactly the ratchet shifter does, since i dont know a whole lot about cars
This is quoted from B&M's web page:

Shifting Mechanisms - There are three types of shifter actions or internal mechanism designs.Ratchet, gate and detent.
Ratchet: Moving the stick 'ratchets' it to the next gear only - eliminating overshifting. The stick returns to the original upright position readying it for your next shift.
Gate: Utilizes a plate with stepped notches that act as stops from gear to gear. Gates may be horizontal or vertical.
Detent: Utilizes a spring loadedtab for each gear. This is designed for positive shifts, not racing.
The one B&M is making is the ratchet. The stick always rests in the same position. The stick is spring loaded and when you push it forward it up shifts, then returns to that position in the middle when you let go. If you push forward and then let off again, it up shifts again. If you pull it back and let go, it down shifts. This is found in many sporty cars today. Frankly, I was shocked that Ford didn't put this in the Mustang, at least the GT. It's in my wife's Spyder and my daughter's Eclipse. I've also had it in many rental cars.

Personally, I'd rather see it that way. Where Park, Reverse, Neutral and Drive are to the left. Then if you want to manually shift, you bump the stick over to the right and you would have 1-5. That way to put it in drive, you just pull it straight back to the stop. To get it in 1rst gear, you pull it all the way back to the stop and bump it over. -Joe
Old 01-08-2007, 12:42 AM
troyclemens
1st Gear Member

yeah, the mustang auto shifter is pretty bad. I have ran several pro rathchets, pro sticks, quarter sticks, all of them, i run a reverse pattern hurst pistol now, love it. Just don't want to butcher wifes console
Old 01-09-2007, 05:27 PM
bascho
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 06GT4RAD

ORIGINAL: bascho

ORIGINAL: jbailer

B&M is making a ratchet shifter for the auto that is supposed to be out in a couple months. It is listed on their web site now.-Joe http://www.bmracing.com/index.php?id...=1&pid=363
That thing is pure sex. I'll be the first in line for one.
Well you won't be the first because there is already a long waiting list over at TMS where B&M actually got input throughout it's development.

Richard
Good to know. I guess I better get my a$$ in line ASAP.
Old 01-09-2007, 05:52 PM
WhiteStallion06
4th Gear Member

now i know they were saying over at the mustang source it would be around 300 but how hard do you think the install would be? i really love the concept and look just dont want to mash up my entire transmission because that could get sticky.

I love the sport shift i had it on my old mazda and it was so easy and it looked good as well.... i mean ford and mazda are in the same family and i know we dont want a whole lot of japanesse influence in the mustang but dont you think they could work something out for the new mustang i mean it is in a ton of cars now days
Old 01-09-2007, 10:31 PM
troyclemens
1st Gear Member

i am thinking more and more that i will just buy a pistol grip quarter stick, or maybe a pro rachet and machine a nice bezel for it, or maybe a bezel and then carbon inlay
Old 01-09-2007, 11:56 PM
threeGTs_67_95_05

Looking at the B&M web site, it doesn't show or say anything about the OD button on the factory shifters. I assume there's a separate switch since it doesn't look like there's any kind of switch on the B&M ****?
Old 01-10-2007, 12:00 AM
troyclemens
1st Gear Member

if it is like other late model b&m stuff, the switch is probably changed and then re-located
Old 01-10-2007, 12:06 AM
Black06stang
4th Gear Member

The od button is relocated onto the bezel. There is a huge thread over at the M ustang S ource. Supposedly the shifter will be released in the next few weeks.
Old 01-10-2007, 03:44 AM
bl1nk
5th Gear Member

So this B&M ratchet shifter.... if you changed it out does it eliminate your "drive" and force you hit it to shift up one(/down?) all the time, or is there a specific spot you put it to do that? Also, where is the reverse, nuetral, park and overdrive? I dont see anything in that picture.... and I wonder if that **** can be switched out, cause honestly.... that thing is FUGLY. **** looks way too small and the stick thing looks way too long.

Other than that stuff though, Id definately welcome this baby into my car...
Old 01-10-2007, 04:52 AM
Stang Skeleton
3rd Gear Member

yeah, b&m has been developing the "auto shifter" for the 05+ stangs for a while and its still not out! it better be worth the wait. we should get a group buy going on here when it comes out.

Quick Reply: auto shifter