Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

auto shifter

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2007, 05:26 AM
troyclemens
1st Gear Member

Default RE: auto shifter

it still works just like a rergular shifter. If you put it into drive, it shifts. reverse and park, neutral, everything is the same. the difference is in the forward gears. Once you reach drive, you can pull it back and satr ratcheting the gears if you'd like. The ratchet term comes from the fact that when you pull it back, it down shifts one gear, and the stick returns to the normal upright position. It will work just like your stock shifter, the exception being if you ratchet it down repeatedly to get you into 1st gear, as you pop the shifter forward to change gears, it will go forward only one gear at a time. basically it won't allow you to miss a gear.
I say all this with no experience whatsover with this new shifter, But i have owned a lot of ratchet shifters, both hurst and b&m. I have owned the quicksiler shifter which this one seesm to be based on.
I agree it is ugly. That is why i think i will just get a hurst pistol grip quarter stick , with nice brushed pitol, line lock know on top, and then machine me a bezel, and maybe accent it with carbon fiber, or leather.
I am attaching a pic of my hurst shifter

Old 01-10-2007, 05:33 AM
troyclemens
1st Gear Member

sorry, that didn't do right
http://www.boomersinteriors.com/images/100_1017.JPG
Old 01-18-2007, 01:41 PM
sunguf
3rd Gear Member

So what's the deal on this shifter? Any Production information?
Old 01-19-2007, 01:02 AM
07GTEddy
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jbailer

B&M is making a ratchet shifter for the auto that is supposed to be out in a couple months. It is listed on their web site now.-Joe http://www.bmracing.com/index.php?id...=1&pid=363
Oh Yeah!!!!!

I want that shifter! I am sick of the stock auto shifter in my 07! Now i can slam some gears..................
Old 01-19-2007, 04:02 AM
Orion_240
6th Gear Member

Yes, I've wanted the ability to downshift easier since day one of ownership!
While it's true that the autoshift, manumatic, triptronic, etc, is available on the Mazdas and lots of other cars, I heard that most wouldn't handle the power. I think that for the $1000 Ford charges for the auto they could come up with something. I mean they have them on the more powerful Cadilacs and maybe the Chargers?
Old 01-19-2007, 08:49 PM
luggage

Forgive my ignorance, but why do you want to shift an auto anyway? Seems like you should have bought a manual if you wanted to feel more in control of the car. Shifting an auto seems like masturbating with an oven mit, pointless.

Note: this isn't an anti-automatic message, just curious.
Old 01-19-2007, 09:37 PM
Black06stang
4th Gear Member

What is fun about a maual? Shifting gears. Even though we have autos, we still like to slam through the gears once in a while.
Old 01-19-2007, 09:47 PM
mAnYsTyLeS
4th Gear Member

Because we want the best of both worlds.

ORIGINAL: luggage

Forgive my ignorance, but why do you want to shift an auto anyway? Seems like you should have bought a manual if you wanted to feel more in control of the car. Shifting an auto seems like masturbating with an oven mit, pointless.

Old 01-20-2007, 12:02 AM
07GTEddy
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: luggage

I used to run a 10 sec. Galaxie on Methanol and part of the fun of driving the car and keeping it "consistant" was slamin the Hurst quarter stick as hard as i could when i hit the 7grand light on the tach and never missing a shift. Granted my 07 is not a 10 sec. carand will never be (Maybe after the warrenty?) but, If you have never experianced it, you will never know. Plus, my dial-in's will be better then your's on race day.
Old 01-20-2007, 12:42 AM
mattblasi
3rd Gear Member

I fall into the wanting the best of both worlds class here, I like to have the joy of slamming the gears when I have nothing better to do and am screwing around but in traffic and on those more than often chill times I like to just sit back and relax.

What I would really like to see is a SMG II / F1 style transmission with a hydrolic clutch then we could have some REAL fun. 80ms shifts and no chance of a miss shift :P

Quick Reply: auto shifter