Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Change

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2007, 03:28 PM
ZZmustang
Banned

Default RE: Oil Change

Even with a Synthetic oil you should change your filter around 3000 miles.
Crazyal says that the Fleetguard LF3315 filter happens to fit our cars and it has more than DOUBLE the filter area of the Ford-spec'ed filter. I would ask how it accomplished this? By stuffing in twice as much filter material? or maybe a double long filter?
A filter that flows and filters is what we are looking for, a filter that filters is going to have reduced flow. that’s why changing it around 3000 miles is important even with Synthetic oil .
Doubling the filtering area and keeping the same size filter doesn't sound like something I would want to do. But That’s my opinion.

Old 01-16-2007, 03:36 PM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

I like Royal purple! I also use a K&N oil filter and the filter magnet!
Old 01-16-2007, 04:11 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

The Fleetguard filter has a longer filter element.

TheMotorcraft FL-820 (Ford suggested replacement) filter has an overall length of 4.05". The filter material is 65.5" long and 2.375" wide, for an area of 156 square inches.

The Ford Racing CM 6731 FL820 has an overall length of 3.99". The media is 100" long and 2.5" wide for an area of 250 square inches. (This is the filter that comes in the various FRPP "power packs")

These two filters are the same size outside, but the Ford Racing version has much more area. This is becasue the media in the FR filter is slightly wider, and it has more pleats, both of which adds to the surface area.

The Fleetguard LF3315 has an overall length of 5.37" The filter media is 124.6" long and 4.25" wide, for a total area of 530 square inches.

Note that the Fleetguard filter is a little over an inch taller than the OEM filter. It also has very deep pleats. This is how they fit all this extra media inside. The threads, diameter, and the gasket are all the same size as the FL-820. It also has the same relief valve pressure spec as the Motorcraft. So, as long as there is enough depth to fit the LF3315, it will offer significantly lower pressure drop and flow.

All the filter specs are posted here:

http://home.mindspring.com/~cewhite3nc/index.html

Note that there is a typo in the listing for the LF3315. The height is 5.37 not 4.37. I just obtained some last week and measured it--it is definatley not 4.37 like this page states. I am going to do a test-fit the next time I am under the car. As of right now, I do not know if it will fit properly or not, but based on memory there is enough room. Assuming it fits I will try it out.
Old 01-16-2007, 06:18 PM
ZZmustang
Banned

Sounds like the just put more filter material in the filter. I don't really think that’s a good idea. The filter has to filter, but it also has to flow, and doubling the material inside a filter seems that it would be running on the bypass system very shortly. There has to be a compromise with the amount of filter vs. flow of oil . The double filter would work on a small engine (4 cylinder) but not on something that is under full acceleration with 300 hp a lot of time. Trying to push oil threw double the filter material would be dangerous (to the engine) , in my opinion.
Old 01-16-2007, 06:50 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

The filter is not any thicker, it is larger in surface area. That means that the overall pressure drop of the filter is lower. The larger the media area, the EASIER it is for the oil to flow through it.

What ventilates your housemore quickly? Having one window open or having several windows open?
If you want to drink a milkshake, is it easier to suck up the shake through a narrow straw or a big fat wide straw?
When you are shopping at a busy store, would you rather have only one cashier lane open,or several to choose from?

You can also think of it this way: Every square inch of filter media has millions of tiny little holes it. These holes allow the oil to pass through, but the larger particles of dirt get stuck. As the dirt gets stuck, these holes get clogged up. When enough holes get plugged up with dirt then the pressure drop across the media gets high enough for the bypass valve to open.

The more square inches of media we have, the more holes we have. That means there is morecapacity to be filled up with dirt before the filter becomes plugged up and the bypass valve opens.
Old 01-16-2007, 06:57 PM
ZZmustang
Banned

I don't care, use what ever filter you want to, Put 15 of them on your car, that will give you a whole lot of surface area.
Old 01-16-2007, 08:41 PM
xbone
3rd Gear Member

Trade the friggin car in before the warranty is up and never change the oil.