Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C&L vs C&L 95mm - what's the diff?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2007, 06:46 AM
Sprzout
4th Gear Member

Default C&L vs C&L 95mm - what's the diff?

Ok, so, I was perusing Brenspeed's website tonight...

I came across 2 different C&L intakes on the website there, one of which is a silver color, and with the SCT tuner runs $675.

However, they ALSO have a 95mm RACER Intake package with the SCT tuner; this one is $599! When I look at the differences between the two, I can't see any difference except that one looks black and says it's a 95mm intake. I'm guessing there's something I'm missing that justifies the extra $75, but I guess I'm not seeing it. All I want to know is why one is better than another, and for a reason other than "because it costs more."

Anyone know? I'm interested in buying one of these two, because I keep hearing good things about the C&L Intakes, but if they're the same thing with one being plastic and one being metal, I'd lean towards the plastic one to keep the temps down and keep the weight down a tiny bit.
Old 01-19-2007, 06:56 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

Default RE: C&L vs C&L 95mm - what's the diff?

The 95mm is for the MAS (Mass air sensor) The lager the number the more air can be taken into the engine. The more air requires more fuel and you get more HP! The tune makes sure the extra air flowing to the engine gets the right amt of fuel to mix with it! That is the basics but the tuner does so much more and worth the buy!
Old 01-19-2007, 06:59 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

Oh and you are right about the metal vs the plastic, the plastic will keep cooler and the metal will make more intake noise, I feel it is a matter of preference but others will disagree. I mean nickel and dimeing over a couple of HP is a waste of time so I say go with what you like as well as the look you are after. Both the CAI are great
Old 01-19-2007, 07:26 AM
bl1nk
5th Gear Member

Basically, the 95 mm one is what Brent recommends if you are going to be FI simply because its larger and allows more air flow, even though the alum. one could be used just as easily.

Its actually been tested and proven that the plastic is cooler when sitting still, but as soon as air begins moving over the intake the aluminum one cools down faster and maintains a lower temp. Also if youre worried about weight, there are far better ways to drop a few pounds than scrounging for 1-2 lbs from an intake.

I went with the alum one simply because I liked the look of it better ... metal > plastic, IMO there is already enough plastic in our engine bays, and I plan on getting it chromed one of these days.

As far as C&L quality, I love it and wouldnt even consider a different intake of this style (elbow style)... only other intake Id consider period would be the front mounted one (to take advantage of the forward mounted throttle body), but there arent enough gains to justify it over an elbow style. You cant go wrong with either one, just depends on what you like really.
Old 01-19-2007, 08:11 AM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

+1 to the metal.....the polish aluminum is far better looking and most people go with that one. The cheap plastic look just doesn't give it justice. There are a few people that have a good picture of what they look like isntalled and you can really see how much difference the shine of the metal makes!
Old 01-19-2007, 11:35 AM
jaiasmit
3rd Gear Member

You should definitely talk to Brent about your plans for the car before buying the C&L Racer. He will tell you that he doesn't recommend the Racer package unless you plan on doing some serious mods to your engine like FI or cams/heads.

I went with the basic C&L and it is more than enough for our cars without any major mods. I would recommend going with the basic C&L unless you are going to go FI soon. Brent can give you more details on why you'll make less power with the Racer without the supporting mods.
Old 01-19-2007, 03:50 PM
06Vista
2nd Gear Member

Default Get the Aluminum

I have the aluminum C & L and SCT tune. I like the looks of the metal over plastic, also if you ever intend to run nitrous get the aluminum, plastic cant handle backfire's.