Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Ford Mustang GT Must Diet

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2007, 12:55 PM
rattsj
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: The Ford Mustang GT Must Diet

The Ford moves GM counters comment isfor the topic of Mustangvs. Camaro. In this case it is true.But itis not limited to this either. The Bronco was countered by the blazer. The F150 was countered by the silverado.But any way my point was that the camaro platform is a reaction to the Mustang. It was in the begining andthey were both upgraded throughout theyears. And now the resurgence of Mustang success brings back theCamaro.

Also for those of you who think that the competition will be good I think will be disapointed. The success of both of thesecars is going to diminish. Ford isin big trouble and sois GM. Muscle cars are cool forpeople like us but most people won't be buying them as gas prices continue to rise. Look for the mustang and camaro totake a ride down the 70's lane of lame.
Old 01-26-2007, 01:07 PM
6xStang
3rd Gear Member

On the Camaro following Mustang, yes you are right, though I remind you that nobody followed Ford down the Mustang II path. The mid-seventies Camaros and 'Birds, smogged as they were, were all alone.

My first car was a '68 Camaro with a 327; I was a Chevy guy at the time.

I hope you are wrong about the "lane of lame" comment but it is a real possibility. On the news last night though they were saying that Ford sales are in the dumper mainly because they are already in the lane of lame. "Ford" (whoever that is) stated that exciting new models are on the way. Yeah, OK, we'll see. Typically though, firms that are struggling will try to get mean and lean and reduce time-to-market, reduce development costs, and make better targeted products. If they do it right, again, we win. If they do it wrong, then yeah, lame city.

I am more afraid of regulators and insurance companies being the ones that killtodaysgolden age of performance cars.
Old 01-26-2007, 01:51 PM
Juntech
3rd Gear Member

I completely agree the Mustang should get lightened instead of given more power. My questino is, could Ford engineer a lighter mustang with some creature comforts? With all due respect, a massachusetts winter and summer is no time to be left without AC. (the RWD dosen't help either ).

Lightening the Stang will allow it to out handle even some imports like the STi.
Old 01-26-2007, 01:53 PM
rattsj
2nd Gear Member

Yep some valid points there. I am with you on hoping it doesnt happen but times aren't good right now for producing gas guzzlers. Every now and then I see a post on here about how good the GT's gas mileage is. Its been a while since I was stock but I remember 20-25 mpg. Thats really not good when the average worker drives 45 miles round trip to work everyday. At 3 bucks a gallon it costs you 6 bucks a day just to go to work and back.
But soon the Dem's are going to take over completely and look for some serious Green party bills to pass. Its going to be the decade of the 4 banger.
Old 01-26-2007, 03:09 PM
RdRang95

I read in one of the car magazines (don't remember which one, might have been Motor Trend) that Ford is supposed to be working on the Boss mustang which will carry the new Boss 5.0 V8 and is also supposed to be a stripped version of the Mustang GT (much lighter). I believe the HP was rated at like 425 or something. Ill see if I can find the site.
Old 01-26-2007, 03:11 PM
RdRang95

2007 Ford Mustang Bullitt - Auto News - Motor Trend
Old 01-26-2007, 05:02 PM
Go Blue 48044
3rd Gear Member

The above posted article hits on things that I mentioned in my post a couple of day's ago.Chrysler nor GM can get Base models of there cars within 5k of the Mustang.The Challenger isn't even going to come in a v6 model.Both of those cars will be short lived.Unfotunatley I like the idea of competion in the market place it keeps Ford and Mustang designers on their toes.