Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did they do for you gas tank?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2007, 07:12 PM
2oo5stang
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: What did they do for you gas tank?

Happens to me all the time, it takes 5 mins to get 10 gallons and i have to click it on about 20 times to get 10 gallons, so it is a pain when you want to fill up and get to work or home. Ford usually tells you to switch gas stations that the problem is the gas pump not the tank. My other mustangs, lightning, or the other 10 vehicles i've had, has never done that. me personally, i think it's the tank. But i don't feel like taking it to ford, to soon after the last 5 times of me being there for other random **** for them to fix in the past 3 months......
Old 01-26-2007, 04:19 AM
Orion_240
6th Gear Member

Yes, it's amazing how no other $29,000+ car on the road does this! Or anything like it!
I guess we were supposed to ask the salesman "are there any known problem areas with the new model which will prevent me from filling up my gas tank in a normal fashion?"
Nobody's ever asked that at Honda, Toyota, Nissan, BMW, whatever dealership you want!
So now we know better and will have the dealer sign a statement telling us there are no known issues with any future cars we buy from Ford!
Are you ready for owners of the 2007 Shelby GT to ask why their gas tanks won't fill up like every other car on the freakin' planet! LOL!
Old 01-26-2007, 09:53 AM
Archion
4th Gear Member

My apoligies to all in the thread, I snapped yesterday and got a little out of hand, I have removed the offending posts. So lets have a better day today.
Old 01-26-2007, 02:23 PM
shaners90lxhatch
3rd Gear Member

ALL vehicles from ALL manufacturers can and do have issues with this periodically. Is it as common as the stang? NO.
IT IS NORMAL AND THERE IS LITTLE, IF ANYTHING YOU CAN DO ABOUT IT.
The genius with the procedure to remove the canister filter is completely wrong. Let memake this crystal clear. HE IS WRONG WRONG WRONG.He is actually allowing this condition to occur more frequently, as the filter keeps contaminants from obstructing the EVAP system, specifically the carbon canister.EVAP restrictions can and WILL create a slow fill. So if removal of the filter helpedhim,HE had a bad filter. I will discuss restrictions further down.
The nozzle shuts off because there is a pressure sensor in the tip of it. This is why your (normally operating) fuel tank will shut off the nozzle when it's full but you can overfill a gas can or an ATV all day long. The pressure is building in the filler neck itself.
The fuel tank uses a syphon action along withdrain overto allow fuel on the driver's side to flow over to the passenger side. A combination of the tank design, filler neck, anti siphon valve (yes it does have one) and pump output rate is the source of this condition. There is an adjustment of the filler neck that can be done, it may or may not help. I will explain this to everyone if desired.
BEWARE that dealers are told that any modification to the system will not be covered under warranty. If they get it covered, they are lying to Ford and just saying that they found a restriction or something to get paid for their time. Don't bother showing the dealer any of that nonsense about removing the vent filter. That breaks a federal emissions law and could put them in jail or in the sh!thouse with the bank. A technician can tell if your vent system is restrictive simply by monitoring the FTP pid. If it climbs up during a refuel to 3.3v or more, the system is restrictive. Otherwise if it does not - your condition is due to factors mentioned above. It may suck, but it's there nonetheless and short of redesigning the entire system, it will persist likely to the 2009 MY. The guy who mentioned the testing done prior to production is 100% accurate. Some things just can't be anticipated. This just so happens to be common, annoying and at the worst possible time on the worst possible vehicle imaginable.
Old 01-26-2007, 05:52 PM
Skoshi42
2nd Gear Member

Yeah its the valve that prevents siphoning of gas, thats closing and letting gasoline build up, which leads to the gas pump shutting off.. my tech guy just said the valve is not working like it supposed to, replacing the tank MAY or MAY NOT resolve the issue.. but my tech guy said its worth the chance.. some dealers are not so willing to replace the gas tank.... just lazy to fill out any paperwork IMO..
Old 01-26-2007, 09:21 PM
VWILLO
2nd Gear Member

Mine only does it on long trips and all four stations I used caused problems no mater how I held the nozzle or changed the rate. when I just run to the station it works every time.
Old 02-01-2007, 05:53 PM
07stanglady
1st Gear Member

All this is very interesting. I picked up my car mid-September, and at 303 miles on the odometer, the check engine light was on. (Bear with me, it does relate to the fuel tank issue, I think). By the time the dealer here could see me, I had 1100 or so miles on the car, (THAT'S another rant entirely, don't get me started), and we'd checked the fuel cap and all that, and reset the computer twice, and the CEL came back on again after both resets. Up to this point, I had no problems filling the tank at all. At the dealer, they said that there was a problem in the fuel system somewhere, but they couldn't find anything, except a loose connection or something (bear in mind that I live in Germany, and there's a bit of a language barrier problem, as I'm not a native). They told me they reset the computer, and reseated whatever connection was loose but that they weren't sure the connection was part of the problem, and the CEL might come on again.

I went immediately to the station to fill the tank as the car was on empty, and then it would only take half a tank of gas. I tried all the tricks, turning the nozzle, filling it slow, etc., since I'd read about the problems with the '05's. It never would take a full tank. Seems to me that whatever connection it was had something to do with why I couldn't fill the tank, since I'd never had the problem before. I was figuring that the CEL was on because of the loose connection, and once the connection was restored, whatever it wasthat the connection controlled caused the fuel filling trouble. The dealer said no way, of course.

The CEL did come back on, about 80 miles after I left the dealer, and then I was able to fuel the car normally the next time I filled it up. Go figure. I did finally get the dealer to listen to me about all of it, and they told me that the code was P1450 - Inability of Evaporative Emission Control System to Bleed Fuel Tank, which made total sense. They replaced some valve, but not the tank, and I was happily on my way in an hour and a half.

That was in mid-October, I think and no problems filling since then. Until two days ago, when I couldn't put even a few cents worth of gas in the tank without it shutting off. I never did get a full tank, I just had to keep restarting, changing the angle, speed, whatever, until I got pissed and said forget it.

So ladies and gents, any thoughts, or further experiences to share??? Sorry for the length, but hoping for some help, and maybe to help somebody else as well.