Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

drive by wire

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2007, 01:05 PM
StickShifty
5th Gear Member

Default drive by wire

this "drive by wire" is only in the autos correct?? NOT in the 5spd??
Old 01-26-2007, 01:06 PM
Archion
4th Gear Member

Default RE: drive by wire

Drive by wire is on all Mustangs, as well as fusion/maxda6 and I belive the 500 platform as well. I remember seing that the trucks were moving to it as well, I think the deisel's already have.
Old 01-26-2007, 01:09 PM
StickShifty
5th Gear Member

what does it do, i heard the car gets used to how you drive it. which could be bad because i tend to baby my cars around the streets. and let-it-rip on some occasions.
Old 01-26-2007, 01:16 PM
2oo5stang
3rd Gear Member

If you look under the SN95 hood, you'll see the throttle cable coming out of the firewall to the throttle body, look under the hood of a S197 and you won't seea throttle cable going to the throttle body. you can't do like the good old days and rev your car when your under the hood. The computer is the linkage now. and to me....is sucks.
Old 01-26-2007, 01:18 PM
Archion
4th Gear Member

It does have a learning processor, if you baby it it will want to be babied. Agressive and it will want to be agressive, I guess fond a happy medium. It will reset the learning curve if you disconnect the neg cable for about 30 minutes, or have the dealer reflash the stock tune.
Old 01-26-2007, 01:43 PM
Juntech
3rd Gear Member

Let me get this straight, once you baby it (say 500 break in miles), the throttle will be perminantly less responsive? [:-][:-][:-][:-]
Old 01-26-2007, 01:48 PM
StickShifty
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Archion

It does have a learning processor, if you baby it it will want to be babied. Agressive and it will want to be agressive, I guess fond a happy medium. It will reset the learning curve if you disconnect the neg cable for about 30 minutes, or have the dealer reflash the stock tune.

ok, so lets get this straight. just like any car if you inplug the battery for 20-30 mins give or take a bit, it will reset the ECO. and in this case reset the "drive by wire" memory??
Old 01-26-2007, 01:51 PM
Archion
4th Gear Member

Correct, it will go back to the factory defaults and start learning all over again.
Old 01-26-2007, 01:57 PM
Professor Wizard
MF Moderator

All of you are correct.

Drive by Wire is on all 05+ Mustangs.

Drive by Wire "Learns" your driving habits and will "DeTune" your car over time if you use it as a daily driver.

You can reset the throttle response alone by - - turning on the key but NOT starting the car... press down on the gas peddle at a medium speed untill it hits the floor - hold it on the floor for 1 second then at a medium speed bring the peddle back up. Turn off the car... This resets the stepper responder.

To reset the entire computer, you have to disconnect the battery for 15 seconds. You will NOT lose you tune doing this - it will only reset all the sensor learning overrides back to zero and so will run solely based on the information from your tune.

Personally, I like the drive by wire - - because of it we are able to get 300+ hoursepower without serious modifications to our engines. and were able to hook up tuners to our cars to make performance adjustments.

I'm and old guy - - and believe me when I tell you getting 300HP from a small block was a lot of work back in 1970 and you were lucky if you got 10mpg when you got done. DBW is the only way to go today!

Old 01-26-2007, 02:05 PM
acrokat
2nd Gear Member

So, is there any benefit to your car learning your driving habits? Retarded question, I know.

Quick Reply: drive by wire