Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

drive by wire

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2007, 05:20 PM
stangster06
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: drive by wire

Professor - Thanks for the info - great stuff.

Now... does that throttle "reset" procedure really work? If so, can you explain why? Thanks again for the very informative post.
Old 01-26-2007, 05:21 PM
SlowHand
1st Gear Member

I'm assuming the adaptive learning feature does not apply to cars with manual transmissions, right? Surely it can only apply to cars whose automatic shift-points can be adjusted by the computer according todata supplied by the driver's throttle input habits? Having said that, there was an awful lot of lag and slop in throttle response in the factory tune for my 07 GT manual and getting a 91-Octane aftermarket performance tune wasan absolute no-brainer for me. My second assumption therefore (and it may be as wrongheaded as the first) is that no adaptive learning system will screw with the parameters set by my custom tune.
Old 01-26-2007, 05:32 PM
Archion
4th Gear Member

No the manuals as well, it evens helps control the shifts by helping matching revs for you, both computers carry the same processer, just diff timing and tune.
Old 01-26-2007, 05:47 PM
SlowHand
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Archion

No the manuals as well, it evens helps control the shifts by helping matching revs for you, both computers carry the same processer, just diff timing and tune.
Thanks. Jeez, that annoys me a bit. I've noticed certain manual shifts, with custom tune loaded, where the car seems to want to debate the wisdom of my actions with me. No big deal, really, just a little bit of throttle "run-on" after engaging the clutch,nothing nearly as bad as with the stock tune. Well, maybe the car will decide I'm beyond teaching, or that I know how to drive, and give up.
Old 01-26-2007, 06:39 PM
StickShifty
5th Gear Member

thanks for the avatar comment.

so will the horsepower decrease over time???
Old 01-26-2007, 07:23 PM
AmericanMuscle4.6GT
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: SlowHand

Thanks. Jeez, that annoys me a bit. I've noticed certain manual shifts, with custom tune loaded, where the car seems to want to debate the wisdom of my actions with me. No big deal, really, just a little bit of throttle "run-on" after engaging the clutch,nothing nearly as bad as with the stock tune. Well, maybe the car will decide I'm beyond teaching, or that I know how to drive, and give up.
+10000000000 to that.

its good for beginners, but i am not a beginner, and it brings me down. ever inch forward in 1st then push in the clutch and have the engine rev up 200 RPMS or so? yea, about that..............

rev matching is not straightforward. its very difficult to get a smooth heel/toe shift, it'll always either hold the rpm's too long or just hold the throttle open a little too long.
Old 01-26-2007, 08:06 PM
SlowHand
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: AmericanMuscle4.6GT

ORIGINAL: SlowHand

+10000000000 to that.

its good for beginners, but i am not a beginner, and it brings me down. ever inch forward in 1st then push in the clutch and have the engine rev up 200 RPMS or so? yea, about that..............

rev matching is not straightforward. its very difficult to get a smooth heel/toe shift, it'll always either hold the rpm's too long or just hold the throttle open a little too long.
Right. Well, it's a whole lot better with a good performance tune. I haven't tried heel/toe shifts but what I have found works very well indeed is blipping the throttle for downshifts when you want to get straight back on the gas (i.e. to accelerate in a lower gear or just maintain speed). The right amount of throtle input at the blip will match revs and prevent a whole lot of jerking and hesitation when you let the clutch out.
Old 01-26-2007, 08:16 PM
Archion
4th Gear Member

I believe that system is called tourque managment I may be wrong, I have read about others having their tune builders turn it off and turning their car into a snarling semi-controllable beast, you may want to check with your tune builder of choice.
Old 01-27-2007, 12:19 AM
my77stang
6th Gear Member

i tried that resetting of the pedal - it may be in my head but it seemed snappier today...... is it wishfull thinking or did i successfully brainwash the mustang of my wifes driving habits?
Old 01-27-2007, 12:34 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

Sounds like a brainwash to me....lol!

Quick Reply: drive by wire