Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best lower control arm?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2007, 09:41 AM
CrazyHorse0217
2nd Gear Member

Default Best lower control arm?

Need opinions on what is the best lca for daily driver. What is a fair price for an install?
Old 01-28-2007, 10:23 AM
xbone
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Best lower control arm?

Keep it stock.
Old 01-28-2007, 11:34 AM
CrazyHorse0217
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: xbone

Keep it stock.
Why stock.....I thought lca's really helped with hookup?
Old 01-28-2007, 11:51 AM
4LITER6
3rd Gear Member

Crazyhorse,
I went with BMR parts...........they were out of stock on tubular, so I went with the billet ones.......Roush Billet LCA's were like $400.00 and the BMR were $229.00.............depending what ends you go with....on the tubulars, the price will very................intallation was fairly easy.........................If you can find Crazyal on a search he is the suspension guy...................a wealth of knowledge................he may chime in on this thread......their is a thread here lately titled CHE or BMR...............I would start there............you can find Crazyal there............he is quite helpful!!!

Cheers!

I would go with BMR, I really liked the workmanship......

Edits are my friend....
Old 01-28-2007, 12:09 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

BMR is the way to go I believe and do a search on suspension and find CrazyAls explanation. He does know his stuff.
Old 01-28-2007, 12:23 PM
scrming
5th Gear Member

While I don't know who is "best".... I have learned that you want an LCA with an "offset"... We recently replaced my aftermarket LCAs with ones that where offset... noticable difference... the angle on the non-offset arms appear to have been binding....

Before...

after...

As far as install... on a hoist... less than 30 minutes...
Old 01-28-2007, 12:35 PM
Kaldar142
4th Gear Member

Wait scrming i dont understand what you mean by offset?
Old 01-28-2007, 12:39 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

The factory LCAs are a major weak spot. Upgrading them is a great way to get more traction and to fight wheelhop.

As to which one you should buy, first off you need to decide if you want adjustable or solid:

If you have or are going to lower the car or get a 1-pc driveshaft, then you need ADJUSTABLE LCAs so that you can correct your pinion angle due to these mods.

If you are not going to lower the car or get the 1-pc driveshaft, then you should get the solid (non-adjustable LCAs.

Personally I recommend the tubular steel type as they are the strongest and they are also typically lighter than the billet aluminum type. However, most people think the aluminum ones look better. I personally don't care as the LCAs are very hard to see once they are installed on your car.

My favorite brand is BMR, and I usually recommend the "combo" type of LCA which has a polyurethane bushing on one end and a steel bearing on the other. These are available as solid or adjustable depending on your needs.
Old 01-28-2007, 12:43 PM
scrming
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Kaldar142

Looking at the red LCA you can see that the arm is in the center of the bracket... but you can also see that it's on a bit of an angle going to the front (chassis) bracket. Looking at the silver LCA you'll noticed that the arm is over to the right side of the back (axle) bracket, it's "offset" from the center... and the front is actually on the left side of the front bracket... this allows the LCA to be straight and square where as the red one has the splayed angle... which in my case appears to have been causing the LCA to bind...

Here you can see the silver LCA before it was installed... notice how the the LCA is not centered on the bushings...

Old 01-28-2007, 12:51 PM
28HopUp
MF Administrator

ORIGINAL: scrming

ORIGINAL: Kaldar142

Looking at the red LCA you can see that the arm is in the center of the bracket... but you can also see that it's on a bit of an angle going to the front (chassis) bracket. Looking at the silver LCA you'll noticed that the arm is over to the right side of the back (axle) bracket, it's "offset" from the center... and the front is actually on the left side of the front bracket... this allows the LCA to be straight and square where as the red one has the splayed angle... which in my case appears to have been causing the LCA to bind...

Here you can see the silver LCA before it was installed... notice how the the LCA is not centered on the bushings...

So where did you buy your offset LCAs from, if I may ask?

Quick Reply: Best lower control arm?