Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Driveshaft Installed

Old 01-30-2007, 02:16 PM
Sherwood06GT
4th Gear Member

Default New Driveshaft Installed

I just had a new driveshaft installed. The BMR Carbon Fiber. Less than half the weight of the stock DS. There is a very noticeable increase in throttle response now. Can't wait to put it on the dyno and check the HP against what it was a few months back after the S/C install. I doubt the claim of a 15 HP increase but I'm sure there will be a little bump. Oh well, if there isn't a HP increase at least I won't have to worry about a DS failure since it's rated up to 1000 HP.
Old 01-30-2007, 02:25 PM
mAnYsTyLeS
4th Gear Member

Default RE: New Driveshaft Installed

Congrats!
Old 01-30-2007, 02:26 PM
jay0heavenly
3rd Gear Member

Thats cool.... If you noticed a difference in the response and you're supercharged then us NA guys will really be able to tell the difference. I'll be putting mine in next month... can't wait[8D]
Old 01-30-2007, 02:30 PM
Sherwood06GT
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jay0heavenly

Thats cool.... If you noticed a difference in the response and you're supercharged then us NA guys will really be able to tell the difference. I'll be putting mine in next month... can't wait[8D]
Yea, I would think that the owners of N/A Stangs would notice the difference even more. Are you getting the BMR Carbon Fiber? It is a snap to install. You'll just need a torque wrench. I didn't do it but I watched the guys install it at the shop.
Old 01-30-2007, 02:38 PM
bl1nk
5th Gear Member

Does it rev up and down faster than stock?
Old 01-30-2007, 02:43 PM
Sherwood06GT
4th Gear Member

There is a noticable difference in the rev up. I haven't driven it much since the install; onlydrove home and to work this morning so I don't have much experience with it yet. I would think that rev down would be less also. Less than have the rotating weight to slow down.It is much less encumbered though. Feels very light to the touch. I really don't understand Fords idea on driveshaft design. If you have ever looked at the stock DS and actually lifted it off the ground...geez it is heavy!
Old 01-30-2007, 02:49 PM
bl1nk
5th Gear Member

Probably to save money..

But you know, one thing I noticed about domestic cars in general is they rev really slow... my friends fbody does it, a friends older Mustang does it, and mine does it... imports can rev to 7k and back before my Stang will get to 4 lol. Im just wondering why imports in general can rev up so fast? Is it because all the driveline parts are extremely light, or because the small motor or what?
Old 01-30-2007, 03:05 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

I think it's the smaller motor. I wonder if the rods are a lot shorter? Wouldn't that make the crank spin faster?\

ORIGINAL: bl1nkage

Probably to save money..

But you know, one thing I noticed about domestic cars in general is they rev really slow... my friends fbody does it, a friends older Mustang does it, and mine does it... imports can rev to 7k and back before my Stang will get to 4 lol. Im just wondering why imports in general can rev up so fast? Is it because all the driveline parts are extremely light, or because the small motor or what?
Old 01-30-2007, 03:12 PM
bl1nk
5th Gear Member

Not sure... Id really like to get someone to show me all this stuff in person lol, cause theres only so much you can learn from wiki. [8D]
Old 01-30-2007, 03:14 PM
MachRanger
1st Gear Member

The speed of the "rev-up" may have something to do with the fact that our cars are drive-by-wire. The accelerator pedal isn't connected directly to the thottle body anymore, it's actuated by the computer. It learns your driving habits over time. Changing the DS might alter what the computer has learned.Now when you acceleratethere's not as much resistance against the engine, it throws the little guy for a loop until it can re-learn. Professor Wizard tells how to do it here:
You can reset the throttle response alone by - - turning on the key but NOT starting the car... press down on the gas peddle at a medium speed untill it hits the floor - hold it on the floor for 1 second then at a medium speed bring the peddle back up. Turn off the car... This resets the stepper responder.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New Driveshaft Installed