Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tint Scratches

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2007, 06:23 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Tint Scratches

Well you might not need to sand it, but tintprotector.com's instructions called for it and I agree with their instructions. At the very least I would ruff it up with a scotch brite pad. The plastic has a textured surface to it so sanding it smooth give a flatter surface area to stick too.

ORIGINAL: rrobello

ORIGINAL: moosestang

It's not quite as easy as just sticking it on there. You need to first prep the plastic by sanding it, then wipe it down with alcohol. The plastic is notcompletely smooth so sanding it down gives the felt more area to stick too. You can also get the plastic weather stripping out without taking the whole door panel off.
no you dont need to remove the entire panel I was answering from force of habit that I just go ahead and remove it when tinting a car because its not much more work and it makes for a much better, easier and faster tint job to tint the window with the door panel out of the way, also now that I think about it it may be a 7mm not a 10. But you do not need to sand the plastic, Ive done numerous amounts of these on various cars from Mustangs to Mercedes, not once have I had to sand it, as long as you cut it propperly so there are no hanging edges to be pulled up it will stick; I have not had one problem yet of it starting to come back off.
Old 02-01-2007, 10:59 PM
Orion_240
6th Gear Member

yes, I'd highly recommend calling quality tint shops that have guarantees, then asking if they know about the scratching on the new Mustangs, and if they use moleskin. Or could they use the one from here:
http://www.tintprotector.com/ford.htm
$30 extra seems like a much better deal than to have to go back to the tint shop a dealer uses again and again!
Having it done right the first time is the only way to go, especially at the prices these places charge for tint jobs!

BTW, if anyone had or has those tint scratches could you PLEASE post some clear closeup photos! That way we can document this problem a little better. People saying stuff on a forum is one thing but if we have pics to back it up maybe Ford will issue a real TSB?!
Thanks
Old 02-02-2007, 05:01 AM
rrobello
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Orion_240

yes, I'd highly recommend calling quality tint shops that have guarantees, then asking if they know about the scratching on the new Mustangs, and if they use moleskin. Or could they use the one from here:
http://www.tintprotector.com/ford.htm
$30 extra seems like a much better deal than to have to go back to the tint shop a dealer uses again and again!
Having it done right the first time is the only way to go, especially at the prices these places charge for tint jobs!

BTW, if anyone had or has those tint scratches could you PLEASE post some clear closeup photos! That way we can document this problem a little better. People saying stuff on a forum is one thing but if we have pics to back it up maybe Ford will issue a real TSB?!
Thanks
Ford is not going to issue a TSB for a couple of reasons:

1)they didnt felt it on purpose; it provides for a much tighter seal on the window

2)they didnt build the car with tint, its not a warranty/tsb or any other problem of Fords that you did an aftermarket modification to your car

3)in a lot of states it is illegal to tint the front windows at all, so they were compliant with the laws in all 50 states in order to produce a car they could sell everywhere, the fact that you either broke the law or your state permits legal tint to be done doesnt make them responsible for building a car that will allow for such modification; that would be like saying that some states allow citizens of that state to own fully automatic weapons and thus all gun manufactuers should build guns that can easily be modified into a fully automatic version and if not they are responsible for fixing the problem keeping said citizen from doing so just because their state permits them to own an automatic weapon, it just doesnt work that way nor should it.

Just spend the extra $25-50 to keep it from happening or dont tint the window, I dont see why anyone would have no problem spending a couple hundred bucks to tint the car but have an issue with spending a few extra dollars to insure that the tint wont get messed up.
Old 02-02-2007, 06:31 PM
mAnYsTyLeS
4th Gear Member

Acura and other high-end models have this problem as well. My tinter uses Moleskin or felt on their rides all the time.