Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

VERT RATTLES

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2007, 01:49 PM
Jens07stang
1st Gear Member

Default RE: VERT RATTLES

ORIGINAL: TPony

Good topic to be discussed in the Vert Sub Forums, but since you posted it here...that is absolutely BS. Although I do not have that high mileage..I've had no issues with my top.
OK, I give up, where is the Vert Sub Forum?
Old 02-03-2007, 01:54 PM
6xStang
3rd Gear Member

'06 GT vert,at 3300 miles, nothing abnormal as yet. I can assure you though that every "old" convertible that I have been in has been a rattle and wind noise machine. My '89 vert was horrible; it was quieter with the top down than the top up. A price is paid for open-air driving....in handling, in noise, in maintenance....
Old 02-03-2007, 11:22 PM
Drop Top 06
3rd Gear Member

I have an 06 with about 7K on it... a few shake and rattle here when i hit a bump, but you're gonna get rattle in almost any convertible. my buddy's got a02 SL 500, and the top on that thing rattles.... I know my rattle was a lot cheaper!
Old 03-31-2007, 11:26 PM
harrison
1st Gear Member

Yes, I have a rattle. They replace latches a few months ago and it was better for a month. It sounds like two place of metal slapping against each other when I go over bumps. Really anoying. I had it back on Wednesday, it is better but still not acceptable. So that's:

rattle, 3 times to the shop, going on 4
water leak in trunk, 4 times
brake fluid leak from resevoir, 3 times
trim plugs won't stain in in back seat area
bolts on trim in trunk loose from factory

I want a 'Stang but I am so close to trading it in it is not funny. In fact, the only reason I still have it is that the salesmen at another dealer were busy that night. I don't get the Ford pride thing. The fit and finish on this car is typical 1980 stuff. Don't get me wrong, the designers got it right, it's the engineers and builders who need a smack.
Old 04-01-2007, 12:23 AM
drbobvs
5th Gear Member

Ready for this? Last year my wife's then Lexus RX had about 31,000 miles on it and it started to get a very small rattle in the dash over very bumpy roads. It sounded like it was coming from where the windshield and dash met, in the middle of the dash. Now that truck was so quiet you could hear anything out of place.

Tech took a ride with me, went to a very bumpy road and it happened ONCE on that road. No problem, they took it in, said it was going to be a big job b/c the whole dash had to come apart, gave me loaner. Called me less than 4 hrs later saying they were done installing the "dash upgrade". Picked up the car (they washed it, of course), and while they were at it they installed a "headlight security upgrade" (metal brackets to help prevent theft of the HID), also at no charge.

No rattles after that. And this folks is at 31+K miles, and this also folks is one of the reasons Ford is struggling and why Toyota took over the #2 spot from Ford as the second largest car manufacturer 2 years ago. Later this year, in December, we will hear an announcement that I predicted 2 years ago. Toyotahas now displaced GM as the biggest, most profitable car manufacturer in the world.

When I read most of these service nightmare threads, I just shake my head and wonder if Ford really gives a shiot about their customers after a sale. Big 3 service sucks for the most part. Of course there will be anecdotal stories of great service on thisand other forums,but they are way overshadowed by nightmares.

Some people might say, if buildquality were improved there'd be less service issuesand trips to the dealer in the first place, but I still say, just like anyother vendor, it's how they behave after the sale that brings customers back and continues brand loyalty.
Old 04-01-2007, 12:45 AM
GTTED
1st Gear Member

8K and no rattles.
Old 04-01-2007, 12:57 AM
Rupp
3rd Gear Member

People RARELY take the time to visit a bulletin board and post about the good service that a dealer has provided yet they will most likely post all negative visits. I just took my 05 vert in for service and they called me and wanted to wash my car but I kindly asked them not too. I'm the only one that washes my car. They fixed my trunk trim as expected and that's the only problem I've had. So not all Mustangs are problematic but many are. If you bought a Mustang expecting a Lexus then your not really all that bright.
Old 04-01-2007, 01:09 AM
drbobvs
5th Gear Member

No I don't expect a Lexus, (although my stang and old RX stickered with in $5K of eachother).But I, do expect to be treated like a Lexus customer, and you should too. Fortunately I've not had any unresolved warranty issues with my stang. Good for you with your "trim". Try bringing it in for rattle or a squeak and see how they respond. "Well what could you expect, it's a Ford right?"

The point is not how unreliable Mustangs are but how unreliable the service is, and how customers are treated after a sale influences their return to that brand.

If you didn't understand that then you're not really all that bright.
Old 04-01-2007, 01:19 AM
28HopUp
MF Administrator

Here is the MF Convertible Forum

I posted the followingthread in there, which links back here:

S197 Vert Rattle Thread

BIll Jr.
28HopUp
Old 04-01-2007, 01:49 AM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

25K miles. Mine has a rattle, sounds like it is coming from the lt. & rt. corners, by the latches. Haven't taken it to the dealer yet, butI will.

Quick Reply: VERT RATTLES