Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shaker SH*T500

Old 02-06-2007, 11:05 PM
ral8667

Default RE: Shaker SH*T500

For the most part, I don't have trouble playing CDs. I use Taiyo Yuden CD-Rs and burn MP3s. I just bought a new Dream Theater CD from Best Buy, and that CD skips a little. Wierd.

Do most of you have trouble playing normal CDs (burned or not) or MP3s?

I agree with other posters here that burning at a slower speed will help.

Ron
Old 02-06-2007, 11:12 PM
sw07gt
4th Gear Member

Mines worked fine but I've had it for about two weeks and I havent tried out any CD-R's.
Old 02-07-2007, 01:00 AM
owero01
5th Gear Member

Had to replace mine about a month after I got my 06 GT. There has been a problem with Mustang CD player since 05. Nowthe second one doesn't remember where it was when you turn off and restart the car. I'm going to take it back and get another one before the warranty runs out.
Old 02-07-2007, 03:31 AM
wthalliii
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 06GT4RAD

What program are you using to Burn CD's

My Skipper 500 every now and then FF about 3 seconds on any type of cd new or burned.

Richard
Who, me? I'm using Nero version 6 to burn CD's. I'm using Audiograbber version 1.83 to rip. Audiograbber is a free program. http://www.audiograbber.com-us.net/download.html

If you're copying CD's, BTW, try ripping them. That won't be any more reliable, but an MP3 CD can hold 10-12 hours of music. (Some songs compress more than others.) A regular CD can hold 72 minutes. So an MP3 CD can hold about 10 CD's. Your Shaker 500 can hold something like 80 hours of music if they're MP3 CD's. To make an MP3 CD, bring up your burner program. Tell it you want to make a data CDR. Drag one or more folders of MP3 files to it and burn them. Don't put MP3 files directly in the main folder of the CD, because there's a limit to how many files you can put there, but there's not a limit if you put them in a folder. Your Shaker can navigate folders just fine.

Rockman95 was right on with his advice.

Use good CD's - get a name brand like Verbatum or Memorex. There are other good brands, but some of the no-name CDR's aren't too good. (Some are okay, though.)

As far as burning at the CD drive's max speed, well, that all depends. Some faster computers don't have a problem with that, but some will. If you're having trouble, try a slower burn speed. If you have a 48X drive, try 24X, for example.

Once you've burned a CD, try it in your computer's drive. If it won't play there, then you've got a problem with either the CDR's you're using or your CD drive. Try burning a CD or two in a friend's computer or your work computer. If you can play those in your car, then you probably have a problem with the drive in your computer. Maybe you could get it replaced. CDR drives are pretty cheap, particularly if they are just CD burners, not DVD burners.

If you have an older computer (and they get old pretty quickly) and you're having trouble burning CDR's, make sure you don't run anything else while you're burning. I mean, don't surf the net or check your email, for instance. Once the computer starts burning a CD, it can't pause. If a pause happens because the computer's too busy, the CD will be ruined.

By the way, many people don't realize how delicate CD's are. Don't ever touch the side opposite the label or allow it to be scratched. The CD can tolerate some imprefections in the surface, but if there are too many scratches or fingerprints, a CD drive or Shaker will have trouble reading it. When you pick up a CD or CDR, handle it only by the edges, or stick one finger in the hole, and another on the edge. Don't ever put a CD down on a flat surface, but if you must, put it label side down. Store your CDs in sleeves or cases made for the purpose. If you have a CD/CDR that has fingerprints on it, you can clean it with a mild detergent and a soft cloth. Gently rub to and away from the center, not around the hole. Rinse with warm water and dry with a soft cloth.
Old 02-07-2007, 03:58 AM
wthalliii
3rd Gear Member

(oops - double posted)
Old 02-07-2007, 04:59 AM
Sprzout
4th Gear Member

I had a problem with my old stereo in my Saturn having the same problems that you guys are talking about with the Shaker 500's; turns out that I had lousy CDs. I have tried playing some of those same CDs in my Mustang and they have the same problems/symptoms that are being described through the same post.

I've tried Sony CD-Rs, had horrible problems, and same with TDK CD-Rs; Verbatim CD-Rs were ok, but the best ones I've found yet have been the Staples brand CD-Rs. They're the cheapest I've found, and the best quality I've gotten yet. I've never made a CD that wouldn't play on any of my car players yet with those discs, whether it's an MP3 formatted CD-R or it's a regular 80 min CD burned onto a CD-R.

I think some of it has to do with 1) what software you're using to burn the CD (I use Nero 7 Ultra Edition; I've used Nero 6 in the past and had it work fine before I upgraded), 2) what type of drive you're using to burn it with (I've got a Plextor DVD+R burner that will burn CD-Rs at 48x, no problem) and 3) what speed you burn the disc at (I burn most of my stuff at 48x; I've gotten one, maybe two discs that have failed on burning, and it's been due to me pushing the burn to 48x. I backed it off to 40x, and everything went through fine on the next burn, with the disc playing great).

Check your discs, check your burn speed, and check your software. There's a bunch of programs out there now that will burn CDs; iTunes will do it, as will Windows Media Player, if you just want a standard 80 min CD-R, and both are free programs.
Old 02-07-2007, 05:57 AM
Orion_240
6th Gear Member

I forgot to mention this other little peculiarity of the Shaker-Sh!t500:
When I play an album with songs that are continuous (meaning there no 5 seconds of silence between songs), like Dark Side of the Moon or KISS Alive, there is a stupid silent gap between tracks as the Shaker goes from track to treack!
The silly Shaker!
It's really disturbing, especially if the 2 tracks are meant to go together! Putting in a gap where none is meant to be must violate the artists intent... bad Shaker, BAD!
Old 02-07-2007, 06:21 AM
Caution
5th Gear Member

I have no complaints about the shaker yet -- hopefully I never will
Old 02-07-2007, 06:24 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

I'm not a fan of any stock head unit upgraded or not. The shaker 500 is no exception! I just thought the sound quality would be better for 500 watts but CD do play better than the radio. I would just take it in to get replaced...or better yet have them give you the money for the replacement unit and get aftermarket! JMO
Old 02-08-2007, 07:22 AM
vphokie
3rd Gear Member

I haven't had an of my CD's get hot in the Shaker. But in my Explorer, I had the 6disc Pioneer Audiophile system, and the CD's would get pretty damn warm in it. Once or twice, my CD's get re-read and started at the very beginning when I start my car...other than that, I can't complain, especially for a stock system. Wanted the 1000 but the dealer didnt have any with it...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Shaker SH*T500