Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why NOT to use Royal Purple in our s197s?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2007, 05:17 AM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

Default RE: Why NOT to use Royal Purple in our s197s?

So after all is said so far I don't think that we have made any progress on if it hurts our engines or not!
Old 02-11-2007, 05:21 AM
LAK3RS
2nd Gear Member

I have actually been testing out RP in my car for quite some time. I actually wanted to see if there would be any type of power gain when I first purchased it, as well as if it does run better than a "Full Synthetic". So I threw in RP Right at 5000 Miles. Had a change at 8000 and 11,000 with RP. Then today it was 14,000 and I switched to Mobile 1 Full Synthetic. I drove around a bit, and for some reason the car feels more responsive. Like as if it runs better. I honestly didn't think I would be able to tell anything at all, though I went for it anyways, and well it just feels so much better, much much more smoother. I had my car dynoed with the RP in it when I got some parts installed a week ago, and when I take my car to get my TC, LT's, and DS installed in a couple months, I'ma get another base dyno run and see what I put down. Though I know humidty, and weather do play a role. But we will see what happens.

Old 02-11-2007, 06:49 AM
Ford_Dude
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: cookiemonster
huh ... API's Engine Oil Guide says the opposite: "SM oils are designed to provide improved oxidation resistance, improved deposit protection, better wear protection, and better low-temperature performance over the life of the oil."
ORIGINAL: Ford_Dude
I have e-mailed both amsoil and RP about these and as for moly that’s a lie according to both
as for SL vs. SM that’s because SL is allowed more anti-ware additive than SM so SL is actually better
It will take some time to find those e-mails as the SL one is 3 months old and the moly one is over a year old
well COMPCAMS backs-up RP claim about SL vs. SM (that SM causes extreme short life of after market cams) and I've talked to people who have experienced this as well as a ford dealer that has seen it happen
if you want to listen to one group that just puts the standard together or to people who have had problems with it
Old 02-11-2007, 06:51 AM
Ford_Dude
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: LAK3RS
I have actually been testing out RP in my car for quite some time. I actually wanted to see if there would be any type of power gain when I first purchased it, as well as if it does run better than a "Full Synthetic". So I threw in RP Right at 5000 Miles. Had a change at 8000 and 11,000 with RP. Then today it was 14,000 and I switched to Mobile 1 Full Synthetic. I drove around a bit, and for some reason the car feels more responsive. Like as if it runs better. I honestly didn't think I would be able to tell anything at all, though I went for it anyways, and well it just feels so much better, much much more smoother. I had my car dynoed with the RP in it when I got some parts installed a week ago, and when I take my car to get my TC, LT's, and DS installed in a couple months, I'ma get another base dyno run and see what I put down. Though I know humidty, and weather do play a role. But we will see what happens.
what you felt might be just the diff from an oil change
it really compare do a 50 mile change and if you can feel the diff there then that would be a real test
Old 02-11-2007, 12:34 PM
my77stang
6th Gear Member

i am starting to think you guys are going too far with all this. i mean, all through the 80s and 90s 9.5 out of 10 people used normal dino oil and the newer designed motors (anything from japan or domestics styled from japanese designs) are ALL going over 200k with NO problems due to oil. what does this tell me? that any oil we use is gonna be ok, even if some are better than others - even the "cheap" oil isnt going to blow our motors up (unless they ARE using crap that will clog the gallies)
Old 02-11-2007, 03:47 PM
cookiemonster
2nd Gear Member

Any thoughts about using 0W-40 or 5W-40 for our Stangs ?? Heavy-duty trucks, etc. use these and go to 500,000-1 million+ miles without problems.
Old 02-11-2007, 05:07 PM
Ford_Dude
5th Gear Member

Any thoughts about using 0W-40 or 5W-40 for our Stangs ?? Heavy-duty trucks, etc. use these and go to 500,000-1 million+ miles without problems.
don't use 40 weight but 0W-20 would be good for the artic circle (as in you should be able to start it at -70F or so
Old 02-11-2007, 07:29 PM
algregory
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: androdz

Redline is the best 5w-20 out there. Then comes RP and amsoil. Mobil1 is the best main stream synthetic.

Andrew

I've got better than 300k miles experience with Redline, in different vehicles. I use "Turoil" as an additive. Wee bit worried right now, looking at relocating to NC, and wondering if they have Redline there or if I'll order it. I always thought if I didn't use Redline I'd use Mobil 1. I use a Mobil 1 in my motorcycle cause it is motorcycle specific, which Redline does not have.
Old 02-12-2007, 04:54 AM
androdz
I ♥ Acer

Dont do this read the link I posted on my earlier thread. The engine has very tight clearance which a 40 weight cannot lubricate well. Redline is the strongest 20 weight available hands down. You can order it at any autozone stores if they dont have it in stock.

Andrew
Old 02-12-2007, 01:20 PM
2k05gt
4th Gear Member

Amsoil has been trying to undermine RP and RL for years, they are direct compeditors there will never be an independent study if Amsoil is involed, that goes for Bob the Oil guy, his number one contributor is Amsoil. I think all three Amsoil, Royal Purple and Redline are superior oils hands down.

When I first got my 2005 Mustang I looked really hard at Royal Purple, Redline and AMSOIL. What bugged me about Royal Purple was their lack of disclosure on their basestock. Redline clearly advertises that they use a Group V ester basestock. Both AMSOIL and Mobil 1 (though this is in doubt now with the mobil 1 controversy) clearly advertised that they use a Group IV PAO basestock. Royal Purple doesn't disclose what they use. I personally concluded that they probably use some sort of Group III, IV, V mix. which may not be a bad thing.

I will never use Mobil 1 again since my Cam Phaser gear some how was damaged while using M1 ( at least this is what ford told me, again going back to the contoversy page) but then again I was told by my dealer that it would be best to use there oil. LOL of course they would huh..
So I desided to try RP for a few months and I like it, I can not find Amsoil anywhere but If I do I will give it a try,

Quick Reply: Why NOT to use Royal Purple in our s197s?