Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brenspeed VS VMP Tuning

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2007, 04:56 PM
A_J
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Brenspeed VS VMP Tuning

ORIGINAL: sleeper2

Can someone clarify a couple things for me.

I thought "canned tune" equaled "mail-order tune" and meant getting a generic tuner (at a slightly lower price) from a magazine ad. I thought when you ordered from Brenspeed/B A M A/VMP etc. you got a specific tune for your particular car. Or when you say "specific" do you mean tuning it on the dyno.

Sleeper2
To answer your first question, I've always thought of it as three possibilities:

1)Truly "canned" tune - you go and order an SCT or the like, and it comes preloaded from the manufacturer with truly canned tunes.

2) What I think of as"custom canned"tunes - for example, you order a CAI and SCT from Brenspeed, provide them your processor code and octane ratings in your area, and they load on the SCT tunes optimized for your set-up. But obviously, they're not going to write you new tunes from scratch since your car is not in front of them and it'd take too long - they most likely start with known, good working tunes they've developed over time, and tweak them some for your specifics.

3) A truly "custom" tune - where the car is dyno'd and a tune file is tweaked and adjusted specifically for your car with the tuner working with your car in front of them.
Old 07-26-2007, 06:11 PM
Menace
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: WhiteStallion06

I got dynoed on the portable VMP tuning dyno and my numbers were pretty good and it seemed right .... but it seemed that he was just trying to push his tune i heard him tell a few people that brenspeed had their A/F ratio all messed up and he would fix it and do a better job...and kind of talked down brenspeed but any good business man would do that i guess... he seems like a great guy and ive heard a lot of good stuff about B ama so i might have to try their tune sometime but im completely satisfied with my brenspeed tune as of now.
Fred @ Evolution did the same thing. Said that Brent's tunes were running lean and what not. Said he could fix it. So I hopped on the Dyno (I think people could remember the big debate I had doing on which one was better.) and the Brenspeed tune put something like 274 rwhp and then his tune put down like 300 rwhp. I'm convinced he somehow altered the dyno, which I hear isn't too difficult. Ran the Evolution tune for a while under the assumption that it had 25 extra RWHP. Took it to the track and couldn't come close to the times I put down with my Brenspeed tune. Since then it's been all Brenspeed. At the time I didn't know much about Dynos and stuff, and didn't even realize that Fred never even printed us our graphs to show for... All we had was a slip that showed us how much max power/tq at what RPMs. I went back a couple weeks later for resonators (he was trying to convince me that my o/r pipe wasn't allowing for any back pressure and I could gain more power by adding resonators... ) so I said sure. Then he also convinced me to get an A/F bung so he could check my A/F on the dyno (which he said he would do for free since he never gave us graphs) Well, later I learned that all he had to do was unplug a 02 sensor and plug the A/F into that to check it... Nevertheless when I went there the "Dyno was broken." so yeah. Real class act I guess you could say. Sponser or not, experiences like this should be let known to other customers so they know what they are getting into.
Old 07-26-2007, 08:20 PM
07GTEddy
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: androdz

All of them are really solid, and all give good support. Mail order tunes are like said, most are hit and every now and then there is a miss. Personally I would prefer buying the tunes from someone that actually updates their tunes for free hence bren is out.

Andrew
Hmmm?

Don't about that......................

I just talked to Brent at the begining of the week about my Shelby Gtbecause i was wanting a"Track" only tune. Keep in mind i have done business with Brenspeed off and on for a while now with my first Mustang and now the Shelby. I wanted the updated air tube that was also available for the Ford Racing (Steeda) CAI that comes on the Shelby Gt. So:

1 -Updated air tube for the cai = $109.95

Updated 91 Performance tune to replace the last one = $ N/C
New 93+ "Track Only" tune = $ N/C

Also, After it being a week when i made the order, He called me today at work to make sure we were on the same page and what the fuel requirments were going to be with the 93 + "Track Only" tune before he emailed them over so i did not have any problems..[sm=smiley20.gif]

I dont have experiance with the other Performance places that are mentioned here but, at the rate that Brenspeed is going with handling my wants and needs for my Shelby and there customer service I have not had a reason to buy elsewhere.[sm=smiley20.gif]

Not a commercial, just the facts!

Old 07-27-2007, 02:53 PM
sleeper2
3rd Gear Member

AJ, thanks for answering my question about canned vs. custom tunes.

Sleeper2
Old 07-27-2007, 03:14 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

ORIGINAL: A_J

To answer your first question, I've always thought of it as three possibilities:

1)Truly "canned" tune - you go and order an SCT or the like, and it comes preloaded from the manufacturer with truly canned tunes.

2) What I think of as"custom canned"tunes - for example, you order a CAI and SCT from Brenspeed, provide them your processor code and octane ratings in your area, and they load on the SCT tunes optimized for your set-up. But obviously, they're not going to write you new tunes from scratch since your car is not in front of them and it'd take too long - they most likely start with known, good working tunes they've developed over time, and tweak them some for your specifics.

3) A truly "custom" tune - where the car is dyno'd and a tune file is tweaked and adjusted specifically for your car with the tuner working with your car in front of them. Normally just referred to as a DYNO tune.
Some people will still call a Brenspeed or B ama tune "canned" but they normally have access to a dyno cheap also
Old 07-27-2007, 08:03 PM
joemagna
2nd Gear Member

I just put on my C&L CAI and 93 octane tune from brenspeed. OMG!!!!!!! I knew there would be a difference, but had no idea it would be that much of a difference.I couldnt be happier. (well, a whipple and the girl in the transformer movie may make me happier)
Old 07-27-2007, 08:13 PM
kmad61

I have Brenspeed and Vmp 93 octane tunes,Justins tune wins hands down,and that is what Iam running.
Old 07-27-2007, 09:29 PM
07GTEddy
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: joemagna

I just put on my C&L CAI and 93 octane tune from brenspeed. OMG!!!!!!! I knew there would be a difference, but had no idea it would be that much of a difference.I couldnt be happier. (well, a whipple and the girl in the transformer movie may make me happier)
Cool!

I have not seen the movie but the whipple part sounds good!
Old 07-27-2007, 09:32 PM
07GTEddy
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: kmad61

I have Brenspeed and Vmp 93 octane tunes,Justins tune wins hands down,and that is what Iam running.
Thats great!

what ever you like and the bestsetup thatworks for you....