Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DIY: 1 piece driveshaft install

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2007, 02:19 PM
xbone
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: DIY: 1 piece driveshaft install

The 2 piece driveshaft was part of the NVH program to reduce harmonics transmitted thru the driveline, alsoto reducecv joint bind at full suspension travel. Changing it defeats that but lightens the driveline so you get a bit faster hookup to the rear wheels. Marginal horsepower mod.
Old 02-17-2007, 04:47 PM
jerjan
4th Gear Member

Thanks Moose for the writeup. Very nicely done. I'll bookmark it, so when I get mine I can review it before I install it.
Old 02-17-2007, 07:15 PM
scramblr
3rd Gear Member

Thanks for the write up.....
Old 02-17-2007, 08:34 PM
06GT4RAD
5th Gear Member

Thanks for the write up.

Richard
Old 02-17-2007, 08:42 PM
Ford_Dude
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 06GT4RAD
Thanks for the write up.
Richard
+1
Old 02-17-2007, 09:34 PM
07GT
2nd Gear Member

Moose, it looks like the slip joint is at the trans end. I thought the slip joint went towards the rear unless you specially noted to Dennys that you wanted it the other way around. Just wondering, thanks for the writeup.
Old 02-18-2007, 01:43 AM
odiaz
4th Gear Member

Moosestang, Thanks for the great write up.

As we discussed, I took your pictures and writeup and posted it on my web site after some editing and adding some more information.

Here is the link to the article:

http://www.cherod.com/mustang/HowTo/...riveshaft.html
Old 02-18-2007, 05:44 AM
scramblr
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 07GT

Moose, it looks like the slip joint is at the trans end. I thought the slip joint went towards the rear unless you specially noted to Dennys that you wanted it the other way around. Just wondering, thanks for the writeup.
Denny's makes this DS with the slip joint to the axle. However, since each one is custom made, he can build it with the slip joint to the trans end if you wish.
Old 02-18-2007, 11:16 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Nope, it's towards the rear.

I got a chance to check and adjust my pinion angle today. I had to remove the rear of the shaft in order to have a flat surface so make sure you check it before you install the shaft. My transmission flange measured 3-4 degrees down give or take a degree and my pinion was at about 1 degree down which isn't good from what i've read online. You want the two to be parallel to each other so if you were to draw and imaginary line out of each flange, neither line should intersect. Atleast not under load that is. I ended up shortening my lca's in order to raise the nose of the rearend. Even after shortening them a lot, it only moved the pinion to about 1 degree positive( I'm not positive, but my anti squat brackets might affect this) , which it should be within 2-3 degrees positive or within 1 degree of being parallel with the transmission angle.

From the initial pinion angle after install i've had a humming sound at 45mph. It sounds like drone from the exhaust except it pulsates and isn't as bad. At 50 it dissappears and at 40 it isn't there either. It seems fine at all other speeds and rpms don't seem to make a difference ( i haven't gone faster than 75mph though). I'm going to raise the pinion up some more later in the week and see if I can get rid of this hum by adjusting the pinion angle.

Some things I noticed right away were the car speeds up faster. For some reason it seems more noticeable to me in the higher gears, especially 4th. Also there is a noticeable decrease in engine braking so be aware of this if you use the engine to slow down a lot like I do.

One of the best things so far is the absence of clunking when shifting. I would get a clunk when downshifting if I didn't do it just right, that seems to have dissappeared along with my weird clunk-clunk sound when shifting into second on a left turn (yes it only did it making a left). I had tried all sorts of different pinion angles with the stock driveshaft to no avail. Hopefully I'll have this Tuesday off so i can actually go for a test drive that isn't to and from work![:@]

I will keep ya'll posted on the weird hum at 45mph. It sounds like this, varooom, varooom, varooom, maybe less of a V sound

ORIGINAL: odiaz

Moosestang, Thanks for the great write up.

As we discussed, I took your pictures and writeup and posted it on my web site after some editing and adding some more information.

Here is the link to the article:

http://www.cherod.com/mustang/HowTo/...riveshaft.html
Old 02-18-2007, 11:19 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

Thanks dude for the tip about the pinion angle. I will be sure to check mine before the shaft goes on!

Quick Reply: DIY: 1 piece driveshaft install