Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spontaneous trunk opening

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2007, 11:19 AM
ssimaniac
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Spontaneous trunk opening

Wow I thought I was the only one!

I have figured out why it happened though. It was only while I was driving. I had a banana box in my trunk, with some stuff in it. I guess everytime I took a turn on something the box moved and it would catch the lid.

I tucked in the little lid/latch w/e you call it into the hole so it's not hanging down. Never had a problem since then. It's sort of stuck in there (not really stuck but good enough not to fall out by itself)

Try doing that and see if it helps
Old 02-24-2007, 11:25 AM
Jays Mustang
3rd Gear Member

Ya that happened to me once but I thought it was my coat sleave caught something on the left side of seat. I searched for a half hour looking and couldn't find any switch. I figure I hit the keyfob at the same time. Do you have any other keys etc.on the key chain? If so remove them and see what happens.
Old 02-24-2007, 11:41 AM
mail906
2nd Gear Member

On the threads that have discussed installing a truck-opening button in the interior - it all has to do with locating a certain wire, and then setting it up to ground when a [newly installed] switch is activated.

Thus, it is possible [my speculation] that somewhere along the path of this wire, the insulation is cut or scraped; or possibly the wire itself is pinched around a corner or something. All it would then take is the right bounce or bump to establish aground - and the truck pops. The effect would be the same as pushing a truck-open button if the vehicle had one.

I have not read of this problem before this thread. My thought above is a guess.
Old 02-24-2007, 12:59 PM
ned4spe
1st Gear Member

WOW....I SEE DEAD PEOPLE

but i do like your idea mail906
Old 02-24-2007, 02:10 PM
Newfrance6
1st Gear Member

I'll be more careful. I also orginally thought it was the yellow latch inside the trunk that may have caught something but my trunk was empty last time. Thanks for all the input.
Old 02-24-2007, 02:32 PM
myredgt
3rd Gear Member

Used to happen to me, and I thought there was aproblem with it. That was until I realized it was my sub moving around in the back pushing on the release handle on the inside. If it happens at the same place or same time, that means there is something causeing it. Maybe your knee hits the fob, or something taps the latch in the trunk.

- C
Old 02-24-2007, 02:49 PM
WuStangKlan
I ♥ Acer

Agree
ORIGINAL: myredgt

Used to happen to me, and I thought there was aproblem with it. That was until I realized it was my sub moving around in the back pushing on the release handle on the inside. If it happens at the same place or same time, that means there is something causeing it. Maybe your knee hits the fob, or something taps the latch in the trunk.

- C
Old 02-24-2007, 03:27 PM
MrSandman
5th Gear Member

As someone else stated.. maybe it's this...

http://www.spymac.com/details/?1825046
Old 02-25-2007, 11:33 AM
s197

i have a couple of 12's in my trunk and was wondering if anyone had issues with the trunk saying its open while the bass is up really loud? was wondering if anyone has found a way for this annoying beeping to stop "other than turning down my music lol"
Old 02-26-2007, 03:20 PM
Pony Ride
1st Gear Member

I had an 03 coupe, and there was a feature that made the trunk opener on the key fob inactive while the car was running. I was surprised to find out this feature isn't the same on my 07. The trunk CAN BE OPENED by the key fob while the car is running!! I've also had to adjust my 07'strunk latch to make sure the gaps are even on the right and left side. After adjusting, my trunk also closed better too.... more secure. It's unlikely that cargo in the trunk is catchingthe emergency opening latch inside the trunksince it's secured better in the05+. The pre-05's were just hanging loose, and I never had this problem. FYI...The 05+ model also doesn't have the button in the glove box to open the trunk that my 03 had (whichCOULD open the trunk while the car was running).

Quick Reply: Spontaneous trunk opening