Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

more tire issues........

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2007, 11:30 PM
Menace
5th Gear Member

Default RE: more tire issues........

ORIGINAL: AmericanMuscle4.6GT

this is pretty dumb.

i went to my dad cause i need new tires, telling him casually im gonna go out and get new tires tommorow. he goes into this whole big fit about tires, they have to be like meeting some kind of super standard. im not gonna go through the whole list of claims, but basically, he's idealogically against me getting wider tires, because "they're good for drag racing, and i don't like drag racing." he claims that narrower tires corner better because theres "less friction" on the tires..............you don't have to tell me, i know how incredibly absurd this is.

im looking at Nitto 555's and BF Goodrich KD's, both of which are fantastic tires. he's morally opposed to Nitto's because he thinks they'll blow up on me or run out in 5000 miles.

he hates the KD's because i want them.

he insists that i buy more ****ty pirelli tires. apparently because they came on the car, they are the best.

do wider tires cost more?

my ideal plan is BFG T/A KD in 275/50-17 on the rear and 245/55-17 on the front. would this cost more than the same tire in 235/55-17?

do shops charge u out the *** to install/balance a tire that they don't sell? more than installing/balancing one that they sell, but u didn't buy from them?
Personally I like the Pirelli's, as they are a good all-weather tire. I've had mine for 19,500 miles and they are still going strong... I don't have any experience with any of the other tires. Anyway, I'd suggest not getting a 275 unless you get different wheels. 275 can fit our wheels, but they do not fit properly and do not look right. I'd go with 255s all around if you were going to keep the same wheels. Eventually I'm going to go with some 18 inch DD Bullits, and have 285 rear, 255 front.
Old 02-28-2007, 11:49 PM
Stoenr
5th Gear Member

The stock 17's are too damn narrow from the factory. Older GT's had a wide lower, profile tire. Now Ford adds more horsepower, but narrows up the tire! wtf were they thinking?

I would find a tire you like in 255/50/17 on all 4 corners.
Our shop charges 10 bucks to dismount and mount a tire that you did not buy from us. If you buy it from us, no mounting charges, but we charge for balancing,valve stem, tire disposal fee. And in Illinois we have a 2.50 per tire state user fee.

Old 03-01-2007, 12:17 AM
AmericanMuscle4.6GT
5th Gear Member

well he paid the rest of the car (25800 total) and he payed all the $ up front, and i payed him over time.

ehhhhh, its frustrating, but right now im not paying any money towards the car cause im not working. im stuck, and i still owe him $. im not even paying insurance as of like a week ago.

Old 03-01-2007, 01:40 AM
HypromanGT
3rd Gear Member

well he paid the rest of the car (25800 total) and he payed all the $ up front, and i payed him over time.

ehhhhh, its frustrating, but right now im not paying any money towards the car cause im not working. im stuck, and i still owe him $. im not even paying insurance as of like a week ago.
So let me get this straight: there's nothing wrong with your existing tires, you aren't working, so you can't pay what you owe on it, you don't have enough money to pay for insurance, and yet you're looking for more expensive skins?

And to think, all I was going to say before I got to this post was "not another 'my parents own the car, and refuse to let me mod it' thread"...

[sm=dontgetit.gif]

Trade in the GT, get a used focus, use the extra money to move out, and then some day, get that GT on your own, and mod the crap out of it.
Old 03-01-2007, 01:42 AM
Speedyejl
2nd Gear Member

Old 03-01-2007, 01:49 AM
adherrera722
1st Gear Member

if you paid 21G and you are the one that drives the car, then hell with what your dad says and go buy whatever fricken tires you want. I'll admit, i'm 20 and live at home when I'm at schooland my dad cosigned for me but I pay for everything that has to do with my car. So if you're the same way, buy whatever tire you want. Better yet, don't even tell him. Go out, get them put on and see if he even notices.
Old 03-01-2007, 01:50 AM
Stoenr
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: HypromanGT

So let me get this straight: there's nothing wrong with your existing tires, you aren't working, so you can't pay what you owe on it, you don't have enough money to pay for insurance, and yet you're looking for more expensive skins?

And to think, all I was going to say before I got to this post was "not another 'my parents own the car, and refuse to let me mod it' thread"...

[sm=dontgetit.gif]

Trade in the GT, get a used focus, use the extra money to move out, and then some day, get that GT on your own, and mod the crap out of it.
Lol.
well he did say he "needs" new tires.
Old 03-01-2007, 01:57 AM
adherrera722
1st Gear Member

well since stonre posted that, i've changed my mind. If you don't have a job, don't pay insurance, can't pay for the payments, and you are going to try to tell you dad what tires he is going to put on the car? well you are definatly s.o.l. I would definatly agree, sell the Mustang, buy a focus, move out and by a stang when you can afford it.
Old 03-01-2007, 01:59 AM
Stoenr
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: adherrera722

well since stonre posted that, i've changed my mind. If you don't have a job, don't pay insurance, can't pay for the payments, and you are going to try to tell you dad what tires he is going to put on the car? well you are definatly s.o.l. I would definatly agree, sell the Mustang, buy a focus, move out and by a stang when you can afford it.
Lol, I knew that was coming.
Old 03-01-2007, 02:00 AM
Ford_Dude
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: adherrera722
but his dad isn't paying for the tires and seems to lack knowledgeabout them
I say if his dad is going to tell him what tires to put on his dad should pay for them

Quick Reply: more tire issues........