Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

more tire issues........

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2007, 01:06 AM
Stoenr
5th Gear Member

Default RE: more tire issues........

Believe what you want.
Its called cutting through the water/snow vs riding on top. I think working for a major tire manufactor since I was 15 gives me a little tire knowledge on what works better in snow/rain.
Why are water skis wide? so they go on top of the water. Goes right along with a wide tire. It will have a greater tendency to hydroplane.

wikipedia
Hydroplaning (aquaplaning) in a road vehicle occurs when a layer of water builds between the rubber tires of the vehicle and the road surface, preventing the vehicle from responding to control inputs. It becomes, in effect, an unpowered and unsteered sled.

Two- or three-wheeled vehicles with round-profile tires, such as bicycles and motorcycles, virtually never suffer from hydroplaning in normal road use.
narrower ^^^^ so less chance of water coming between the tire and road.

Prevention The best strategy remains not to hydroplane in the first place. The risk greatly increases above 60 MPH, and in areas with any apparent standing water. Those with performance vehicles with wide tires and summer tread should take additional precautions. Driving in a lower gear can help one determine if the car has begun to float.

GG
Old 03-02-2007, 01:36 AM
Ford_Dude
5th Gear Member

I don't want to be in an argumentbut here is something to add

adter the water has moved out from under the tire then and the tire is spinning and contacts the road then a narrower tire will have more trouble grabing hold and having kinetic friction is bad and until you return to static friction you don't have control
I would not say want to make the front very widebut the front is unlikely to have kinetic friction and the if the front hydros then your in trouble but with the back wide you can regain control easier
this is for rear-drive cars (I don't give a care about front-drive)

one thing I keep in mind is if its raining DON'T slam the brakes that would be very bad
Old 03-02-2007, 01:44 AM
Stoenr
5th Gear Member

Hydroplaning has nothing to do with spinning the tires.
Old 03-02-2007, 01:49 AM
Ford_Dude
5th Gear Member

I know it has nothing to do with spinning the tires
but when you hydro your tires can end up turning at a different speed in relation to the road
and if say in a turn some will press the gas a little more which will then spin the tires and in this situation the spinning should clear the tires and then you have a tire that is moving faster than the road and you need it to grip
Old 03-02-2007, 02:11 AM
Fatblazer
1st Gear Member

Get your self some Pilot Sports 2, 285's on the back and 255's in the front. They handle like nothing other, and are great in the rain.
Old 03-02-2007, 02:05 PM
FPN004

So, let me see if I have this right:

1.) Your father bought the car and you're paying him back for it
2.) You still owe him $5000 for said car
3.) You currently are not working, and therefore not making either vehicle or insurance payments on said car
4.) You want to go out and spend a sizeable amount of money on tires for said car

First off, in my opinion, it is your FATHER's car that he is kind enough to let YOU drive. He didn't have to pay for it up front and then let you pay him back for it. You may have paid for most of it, but not all of it. Just think: if you owed the bank $5000 on the car and weren't making the payments, sooner or later they would reposess the car. But right now, even though you aren't making payments for either the car OR THE INSURANCE for said car, you are still able to drive it due to your father's generosity in paying for the car up front.

Sinceyou do indeed NEED new tires, then I believe that you should get the tires that your father wants on the car. After all, as I previously mentioned, this is still his car. While you may be driving it, he is the one that paid for it.

I do have one question for you:why are your current tires bald? After two years there should be a significant amount of tread left. My guess is that you wore them down from hard use. If my assumption is wrong, then I apologise. However, if this is indeed the case, I think you have been foolish in your actions. You have worn out a perfectly good set of tires on a car that IS NOT YOURS. I know if I would have pulled the same stunt, my father and I would have had a serious Come-to-Jesus Meeting. You have no right abusing a car that doesn't belong to you. I think you should show the car and your father some respect.

Pete
Old 03-02-2007, 03:15 PM
05 Mustang
6th Gear Member

if you aren't making any current payments towards the car or the insurance, technically, it's as if your dad will be paying for the tires...since that's the case, you must do as your dad requests
Old 03-02-2007, 03:26 PM
richmod
4th Gear Member

Tell your dad that Ford offers the BFG KDW as an option from the factory. Maybe that'll make him feel better about them.
Old 03-02-2007, 04:09 PM
schapman
4th Gear Member

get whatever tires your father tell you to get. Unless you can support yourself and i'm talking everthing, rent,car, insurance,etc...respect your father wishes. Sound as if you wouldn't have the carwithout your fathers help.
Old 03-02-2007, 04:27 PM
Stoenr
5th Gear Member

I have/had 16 tires for this car and its only 15 months old with 15,000 miles!

4 O.E.s Sold after a few months of use
4 Snow tires
4 High performance summer tires
2 Warrantied high performance tires because the treads just evaporated! [sm=burnout.gif]
2 Drag radials

Sure glad I work for Goodyear.