Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flush Mount Rear SideWindow Louvers Installed

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2007, 02:06 AM
CityDave
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Flush Mount Rear SideWindow Louvers Installed

ORIGINAL: Puckhog407

Dave ... the louvers look great. I've been pondering my next mod and I just decided this is it.
With mine, I'm just wondering now whether to go with Mineral Grey or Black, sincemy stripes are black. They look good painted the color of the car, but I'm curious about how they'd look black. Anyway, nice job Dave and thanks for the pics.
I ran into the same issue on whether to paint them black or yellow. After reviewing a few of my Mustang booksI found that this style of louver was painted the same as the body. In keeping with this I went with painting them yellow rather then black.
Old 03-05-2007, 02:37 AM
bl1nk
5th Gear Member

It would look something like this... hope you dont mind me using your pic CityDave.

Old 03-05-2007, 02:40 AM
Boozshey
5th Gear Member

YELLOW!!!!!
Old 03-05-2007, 03:44 AM
CityDave
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: bl1nkage

It would look something like this... hope you dont mind me using your pic CityDave.

Man I am gladI did my home work and did them in "YELLOW".

Old 03-05-2007, 07:15 PM
ford4v429
3rd Gear Member

the car looks awesome I cant believe how much a piece of plastic can change the whole look of the car- I love mine too

regarding inside paint- FWIW if they'd have used black primer, it woulda been dark on the inside...I bought the special plastic PPG stuff, but they sold me the wrong hardener for lexan, so used another type(a gray urethane)...didnt notice till Sunday morning, wasnt gonna wait another week, so went ahead with the gray(just had to get them in).
I went to a hobby shop monday and picked up a tiny spraycan of polycarbonate paint- I wanted 'smoke' clear, but they didnt have any(dunno if they make it- I use the blue tint on my rc heli canopies) so I masked the 'windows' and painted black...that paint kinda 'melts' into lexan, have had very good results on the r/c stuff, thats why I went with it...some(many) paints wont stick to plastics due to the expansion/contraction that goes with temp- the polycarbonate r/c car sprays seems to really bite in. if they do make the smoke tint, that would be excellent, but the hobby shop I go to has just about everything, and they'd never seen it...
Old 03-09-2007, 01:16 AM
Philostang
3rd Gear Member

Looks great! I'm waiting for mine to arrive. But I'm in the north, so even when they arrive I'll be waiting for good weather to install them. [&o]

BTW, I pre-ordered mine with the pre-paint option (lot-o-pre here), and I thought I read somewhere that they do (and suggest you who are painting them yourselves do) prime the inside black first. That way you get a closer match to the interior as a bonus.
Old 03-09-2007, 03:25 AM
Gloves
2nd Gear Member

City Dave, Those are the best looking rear windows louvers i ever seen! Normally not a fan, but those look great.

Hey, look at that, you can seethrough them. I have problems lane chaning. and backing out of parking spaces.

For lane changes, I drop a gear, gun it, and MERGE!
Old 03-15-2007, 01:08 PM
Weed Racer
1st Gear Member

This is the best looking louvre on the market...period, and I got mine as a pre-order a while ago. It's winter here, but I plan to install them as soon as I get a warm day. I have one question though:

The factory glass is pretty close to the paint work, and I'm wondering how to get it out without using a hammer or scratching the paint.

Any tools or suggestions?

I plan to paint mine on the inside first to match the interior color, then do the outside. It's definitely a good idea to mask off the area where the sealant is going to go too.

These are made of polycarbonate, or Lexan as we're more familiar with. Lexan is a bit funny to paint from the standpoint of adhesion. My experience painting Lexan R/C bodies tells me that a solvent based lacquer is the way to go to get a chemical bond. The other alternative is to scuff sand the surfaces to promote adhesion.

Speaking of sealant....what are you guys using?

Thanks.

C.
Old 03-15-2007, 02:03 PM
Stkjock
Retired Mod

Those look great.... I'd get'em in a miniute... too bad I got a vert!!

nice work Dave...

Old 03-15-2007, 03:23 PM
torch red
4th Gear Member

I tell ya, when i first saw these i was skeptical...

But now i really love them..and they come painted now...

They really look great....

If you have tinted windows...can they be tinted?

Quick Reply: Flush Mount Rear SideWindow Louvers Installed