Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should i do it????

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2007, 06:19 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

Default RE: Should i do it????

Stick with the stang! I would venture to say that I get the same amt of snow in MI as you do in NJ. I never see a vette on the roads in the winter as they are all stored in the winter. The only one I saw was a dealer plate one and he was on a clean( no snow)but real cold, salty expressway. I have an umcle who has a vette and he never drives it in the winter. If it is your DD than I would stay with the stang. You have to be more careful, driveslower, and brake sooner in the winter with the mustang but the vette it is harder to get anywhere. your choice but JMO
Old 03-04-2007, 11:17 AM
buhbye

I just sold my C5 convertible and I can tell you that you DO NOT want to drivea vettein the snow!! Very scary to say the least, unless you throw some crazy all season tires on it or winter treads! Also keep in mind that the front end of your beautiful new vette will look like crap from all the road crap that will get kicked up at the front end. The vette sits alot lower in the front and it all is painted and easily chips. If you use it as a daily driver through the winter the car will look terrible after just one season. Your best bet is to buy the vette and a super cheap beater to drive through the bad weather times.
Old 03-04-2007, 01:22 PM
Newfrance6
1st Gear Member

So lets say i did get a super cheap beater for winter purposes. Would you guys go for the vette over the stang?
Old 03-04-2007, 02:23 PM
Jays Mustang
3rd Gear Member

You probably made up your mind already but if you can afford the Vette, insurance etc. you'll enjoy it I'm sure. I had a 69 Vette long ago and it was a blast. I guess everyone should own one at least once it a lifetime. And if in 3 years your tired of it then the new style Mustang will be out.
Old 03-04-2007, 02:41 PM
Jurnymn
2nd Gear Member

Get the Vette. You can always pick up a 1k beater to drive in the bad weather.
Old 03-04-2007, 02:49 PM
rutus
1st Gear Member

Winter in Jersey really amounts to @3 days of snow. Do you really want to avoid the Vette based on that? I don't drive my mustang in rain/snow but that's my choice. I have my truck as a daily driver. I hate to see nice cars covered with salt but you can use a Vette as a daily here. On the rare occasions that we get a real snow storm, stay home. The roads will be clear by the next day.
Old 03-04-2007, 03:22 PM
Thurman
5th Gear Member

If you don't plan having a 2nd vehicle for snow, I would stick with the vette.
Old 03-04-2007, 04:04 PM
mrluckycharm00
1st Gear Member

I think the real issue is the tires you are running. I really don't think either car will handle worth a crap in the snow if you have summer tires on it. You can't blame a car's poor wet weather handling or snow handling on the design of the car. The tires are what will determine that. However, if you put dedicated winter tires (not all-seasons) on it, you should be fine. It will be like driving a completely different car with the tire change. I live in Germany, and here everybody has a set of winter tires and a set of summer tires. I've put 300,000 km on my BMW and never had a problem in the snow.

Old 03-04-2007, 06:52 PM
vack75
3rd Gear Member

Actually now that I think of it, you live in Jersey right? I presume you work right? Ok so if you live in Jersey either close to NYC or Close to Philly, or anywhere with Publice Transportation, hell just use the Publice Transportation in the Winter, leave the car in the Garage. If you want that Vette. But again like myself and many others stated, if not or that is not a possibility, it'd be tough to own a Vette without another car to drive in bad weather.

But Good Luck!!
Old 03-04-2007, 06:54 PM
Newfrance6
1st Gear Member

I really haven't made up my mind at all. I love my mustang and it's keeping me from doing this right away. I also have to say that the Corvette's performance is amazing and got to my head. I would love to own both but that it is not an option at all unfortunately. The mustang has a look that i prefer. It's a classic bad *** mean looking muscle car. The vette looks like a Euro race car. It reminds me of a Ferrari everytime i see it as it looks very aerodynamic but it doesn't look as aggressive to me. I don't know what to do!!!!