Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dead battery

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2007, 08:40 PM
STANMAN
4th Gear Member

Default Dead battery

Well, it happened to me. After reading about it about a zillion times, during the last cold streak we had here my battery croaked. Recommendations on replacement, and where to get it are appreciated.

Looks like Lethal has the best deal going with an Optima at $170. Willing to listen to other options though!!
Old 03-04-2007, 09:19 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Dead battery

how long did it sit before you tried to
start it?

I charged mine fully, before leaving for the Bahamas for
two weeks. When I return I plan on putting it on the charger
for 3-6 hours, before even attempting to start it.

Old 03-04-2007, 10:33 PM
Thurman
5th Gear Member

Not sure which one, but I would recommend a battery tender if it sits for more than one week w/o driving.
Old 03-04-2007, 10:41 PM
07GTowner

Are you kidding me? New cars and people have to worry about dead batteries if they sit more than a week? Not to mention you can't take, what seems like most of them, out in rainy weather? Maybe I should just cancel my order.
Old 03-04-2007, 10:43 PM
TTSRACINGWORLD
2nd Gear Member

Mine sat for a month and started right up... Sence then I have gone out and started it every week..
Old 03-04-2007, 10:47 PM
Leos06gtLL
3rd Gear Member

mine just died a few minutes ago i had the radio on while cleaning it had to push start it
Old 03-04-2007, 10:52 PM
Thurman
5th Gear Member

07TGTOWNER, I agree, you should not have to worry about a battery on a new car, but if the car sits A lot during the winter months, it will drain the battery. That goes for ant car.Most of us have another car to drive if it's foul weather.(snow). As far as rain, the car is fine in the rain.
Old 03-04-2007, 11:07 PM
rls82959
3rd Gear Member

Just make sure to get a battery with more cold cranking amps than the factory battery.
Old 03-04-2007, 11:09 PM
07GTowner

Yes, I guess if its out in the cold. I was thinking more along the lines of it being in the garage for a couple weeks in bad weather, while I drive the other, then I go and try and drive the mustang and am going to have to go and recharge a battery everytime, which shouldn't happen if your anywhere around 30 degrees and up. Unless its sitting in near zero conditions the battery shouldnt be draining in just a few weeks.
As far as he rain, its hard to tell if we just hear about the ones with the problems, or if its more problems and most don't realize it. Thats one scares me the most though. New car and have to deal with mildew, electrical issues, and later on I wouldn't be surprised if those areas start rusting out sooner than they should be. I had an 88GT and loved it. Very few problems with it, so I hope the problems I've been reading about are really smaller than what they seem. Lots of these cars out there and more post with issues than would most with no problems I'm sure. Maybe I just have way too much time reading these forums while I'm waiting for mine to get here.
Old 03-05-2007, 08:39 AM
Jays Mustang
3rd Gear Member

A month after I got my 07 I went on a 5 day vacation and got back to a dead battery. I couldn't believe it. Went to the dealer and after a load test found it was crap. They installed a new Motorcraft and I haven't had any problem since. But I do start/drive it almost every day. I've seen alot of threads with people having the same problem. I think Ford had a big batch of crappy batteries myself. But others have found that if they have a Shaker audio and don't shut off the CD, they have a battery drain. I do agree we should be able to not start the car for weeks even months and be able to jump in and have it start.

Quick Reply: Dead battery